Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 04:37 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4321address View Post
Should backyard fire pits be banned or more controlled. They've become too popular in this neighborhood to the point of the entire neighborhood smells like a burnt down building, not nature. They stink and leave a film of dust on everything including nature. Leaves and limbs accumulate this crap too.

Should back yard fire pits be banned or more regulated?
I'm pondering how much smoke a burn pit makes, compared to a 12000 acre wildfire....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 06:19 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Should backyard fire pits be banned or more controlled. They've become too popular in this neighborhood to the point of the entire neighborhood smells like a burnt down building, not nature. They stink and leave a film of dust on everything including nature. Leaves and limbs accumulate this crap too.

Banned by whom? Some busybodies?

Old 09-27-2019, 07:33 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Banned by whom? Some busybodies?

Here in western WA, bans are set by The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Does no one else have burn bans?

Old 09-28-2019, 04:27 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I do not like the idea of a ban on fire pits. My yard is my yard, and if I wanted to burn yard waste and toast marshmallows I should be able to. Obviously, the size of the fire needs to depend on the space you have, and just natural yard waste and wood...no stinky trash.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:47 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Here in western WA, bans are set by The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Does no one else have burn bans?
Nope

We have a fire pit, a wood burning stove and a fireplace. Surprisingly enough San Diego can get cold at night in the winter. High to mid 30s. We use the stove entirely for heat. We also have quite a number of smokers for delicious meats.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:56 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I would love to see backyard fire pits banned. BBQs are a different animal.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:02 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
OK, you want to ban fire pits because of the smoke. Would you happen to live in an area where people have wood burners in their homes? That smoke goes outside too. Want to ban them?

And I agree with uggabugga. I love the smell.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:34 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
OK, you want to ban fire pits because of the smoke. Would you happen to live in an area where people have wood burners in their homes? That smoke goes outside too. Want to ban them?

And I agree with uggabugga. I love the smell.
In my township people are only allowed to burn wood in their firepits and burn barrels. They are not allowed to burn leaves of any garbage.

That said; many people have fireplaces, wood burners and inserts. I have not heard any mention of banning wood burned inside a house. When people burn outside it is usually only for a very short time; a few hours until it goes out. Sometimes there are parties that last a little longer; but that is not the norm. With the inside wood burners and fireplaces; they can burn contiguously.

Now onto a bigger problem: our dying forest: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...risis-resource. With so much of our forest dying it would be a waste to not use all that dead wood. There is a lot of potential good energy with a good portion of our forest that will dye. Not only is it a waste; but it is fuel for forest and brush fires. If we do nothing; we could loose everything. It is wise to remove this threat instead of letting nature take it course.

That said; there are better ways to burn wood. The old outside woodstoves used to produce tons of smoke and gag the neighbors. Newer outside wood furnaces produce very little smoke. The same can be said for better municipal waste furnaces. The clock is ticking as the pest destroy our forest; do nothing and we all could pay a heavy price.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:11 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not like the idea of a ban on fire pits. My yard is my yard, and if I wanted to burn yard waste and toast marshmallows I should be able to. Obviously, the size of the fire needs to depend on the space you have, and just natural yard waste and wood...no stinky trash.
And there’s the problem. Your yard may be your yard, but the smoke travels all over your neighborhood. You find a way to keep the smoke in your yard, then have at it.

Campfires, it’s called campfires. Campfires used to be used when you were (you know) actually camping. As in out in the woods, with likeminded people, who were doing the same thing. No one had campfires at their home every weekend. Now it’s everywhere, regardless of the fact people live cheek by jowl next door to their neighbors. Too bad for them I guess.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Not allowed where we live, but check your local city and county zoning and codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature