Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 02:36 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,268,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Nope

We have a fire pit, a wood burning stove and a fireplace. Surprisingly enough San Diego can get cold at night in the winter. High to mid 30s. We use the stove entirely for heat. We also have quite a number of smokers for delicious meats.
People in San Diego are lucky in this regard as San Diego city and its surrounding county are among the few parts of California they do not have widespread burn restrictions with exception of wilderness during high fire danger times for obvious reasons as fires from embers would spread out of control. Though there are no "Spare the air" burn restrictions for people trying to keep warm on cold winter nights which those living farther north contends with every winter. On the flip side though no city in the area allows Safe and Sane fireworks stands though there is no shortage of the contraband fireworks on the streets from south of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 03:14 PM

14,342 posts, read 11,842,080 times
A good, well built campfire with dry clean wood shouldn't have an excessive amount of smoke.

Bothersome levels of smoke are often due to people trying to burn paper and garbage, green wood, and dirty/painted, debris pile wood, not usually, the kind of fire pit people would sit around and enjoy.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,950,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
OK, you want to ban fire pits because of the smoke. Would you happen to live in an area where people have wood burners in their homes? That smoke goes outside too. Want to ban them?

During our burn bans, you are allowed to use a wood stove if it's the only adequate heat you have for your home--nobody has to be cold.

We use our electric heat rather than our wood stove during burn bans.

Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,078,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Here in western WA, bans are set by The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Does no one else have burn bans?
Sounds rather totalitarian. I can see a period during fire season, but we don't have that problem here.
Smores anyone?

Old 10-02-2019, 06:30 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,950,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sounds rather totalitarian. I can see a period during fire season, but we don't have that problem here.
Smores anyone?

Clean air benefits everyone. I don't have a problem with breathing clean air.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:37 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,063,054 times
How about stupid states like California that don't allow clearing of underbrush to help prevent wild fires. That is just asking for trouble and is like throwing fuel on the fire. If the fires are started naturally, it is just nature doing its own house cleaning.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:06 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,078,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Clean air benefits everyone. I don't have a problem with breathing clean air.
Well, then you're not invited to our next party. We are a gregarious bunch here.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:21 AM

9,760 posts, read 7,573,237 times
We love sitting around a fire pit, under the starry night, good conversation, marshmallows, mesmerizing flames. Had one with the family at the lake in CA last month, have them at our house now and then. It's just nice. We'd never move to a place where they would be banned unless there was a specific fire danger period. We love our fireplaces and wood burning stove inserts too.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,109,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not like the idea of a ban on fire pits. My yard is my yard, and if I wanted to burn yard waste and toast marshmallows I should be able to. Obviously, the size of the fire needs to depend on the space you have, and just natural yard waste and wood...no stinky trash.
If you could keep the stinky, eye-burning, throat-choking smoke in your yard, I'd agree with you.

Most fireplaces around here are gas. Same with outdoor bbqs, though the charcoal ones are not super smoky. Even seen fire pits rigged with gas. I see nothing wrong with these things.

Burning wood and forcing everyone to choke on it is ************.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,339,924 times
I love the scent of burning wood so a fire pit doesn't bother me. But I can see how it might bother someone in a subdivision with small yards.

We live in a lot that's nearly an acre in a subdivision with large lots. I'm glad we don't have restrictions on fire pits - other than, of course, burn bans in general if it gets too dry around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature