Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 5,771 times

Advertisements

Should backyard fire pits be banned or more controlled. They've become too popular in this neighborhood to the point of the entire neighborhood smells like a burnt down building, not nature. They stink and leave a film of dust on everything including nature. Leaves and limbs accumulate this crap too.

Should back yard fire pits be banned or more regulated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 04:22 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
This has already been discussed on this forum. It was probably in the Current Events or Great Debates forums, rather than here in the Nature forum.

I'm allergic to smoke, including bonfire / fire pit smoke, so banning would be fine by me. But more regulated might strike the right balance.

I only dislike it due to the smoke getting in, when I have windows open, and start smelling it coming in, and going from fresh air inside to smoky air (defeats the purpose of opening them). That, plus uncertainty over safety when people are boozed up around fire so close by.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:23 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4321address View Post

Should back yard fire pits be banned or more regulated?

Check your state/county for current burn bans.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:30 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,244,807 times
Fire pits are not allowed by the HOA here, but wood-burning is OK. So we still get lots of wood smoke. Personally I dont mind it it, but others do.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:08 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,461 times
I'm a big time BBQer, so I would not like to see any ban on that. The wood I use is seasoned and doesn't produce acrid smoke. I only use hardwood, fruit wood and nut wood. With most of these fire pits they burn resinous wood like pine. The odor isn't pleasant and the smoke is nasty and acrid. Many plants in the Everglades require a "burn off" in order to germinate. Naturally, these fires are caused by lightning. The smoke, ash and odor can linger for days. That is the price of living close to the Glades.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:28 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
I'd rather smell a backyard fire pit than all the pot I smell around here on a daily basis.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:27 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,026,013 times
I hate outdoor smoke unless very far off. We sold the RV, not due solely to RVers being maniacs about making wood fires in 90 degree weather but it was a factor of less enjoyable camping. We loved camping in Western states during droughts because wood fires were illegal.

One residential property we owned the neighbor kept burning trash in her backyard. I asked her to stop because it prevented me from gardening, due to coughing and watery eyes. She did not so I printed the county brochure stating laws against burning and she of course found other ways to annoy like propping 4x8 sheets of deteriorating plywood against my chainlink fence making it lean.

Sold that property and now have neighbors that stay indoors.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,814,954 times
No

Old 09-27-2019, 07:43 AM

6 posts, read 5,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'd rather smell a backyard fire pit than all the pot I smell around here on a daily basis.

Either smell is a stench but yes the pot smell is worse.

Several in the neighborhood seem to be using the fire pits to cover their pot use. It wasn't a problem until new people/pot smokers moved in a few years ago. Then a block away another pot user started using the burning for the samething. A third stay off my lawn neighbor started burning leaves, fallen branches, trash etc but now his teen kids light the pit up late afternoon/school everyday week day. Then on the weekends the old man lights it up for yard work.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:33 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
i hope not. i love the smell of a good oak fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature