Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,921,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?! Is this for real?!

Seals are WILD animals. They're not meant to be in close contact with humans, any more than humans are meant to live in the ocean. Not only that, they're not trained, and may react erratically. This includes biting, although if seals are anything like dolphins, this is highly unlikely. Its mother may attack at you to protect her baby, though.

You want to pet an animal? Volunteer in an animal shelter or visit a charity adoption expo, with DOMESTIC animals: dogs and cats. They were bred to be around humans, and won't be harmed by human contact. (If you disregard neglectful or abusive owners, that is.) Or, if "NJ" in your name is your home state, try this on for size: https://nyaquarium.com/shop/catalogs/wild-encounters-2. It's a sea lion encounter program at New York Aquarium; they're adult sea lions, properly trained to interact with humans.

Whatever you do, don't try to pet a wild animal! Or worse, hug one!
Did not know NY had an aquarium. I was in Hawaii, and I got to pet a full grown seal. But it was raised in captivity. But this adult did not look too cuddly. Its fur is not as fluff and the smaller white ones I see on LI beaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I hear boa constricors like to cuddle. That makes about the same amount of sense. Real life is not Disney. Wild animals are wild & will attack you, if you enter their territory.
Some people keep them as pets dont they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 02:58 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
QSome people keep them as pets dont they?unq

Yes they do, but I don't think they let the snake cuddle them. And I strongly disagree with keeping any kind of exotic creature as a pet.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:02 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,869,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
When I had my boat it had a large swim platform on the stern. I had small seals jump on it when I was fishing near shore. Figured there was a shark chasing them. I still didn’t approach them or try to pet them. They just sat there doing that axL rose weave and bob.
If I were you, I'd install an ultrasound scare device, to keep seals from jumping on my boat. Of course, the device isn't an option if I frequently bring my dog on the boat with me; dogs can hear ultrasound too. But then the dog can scare the seals away.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:06 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Snuggling wildlife (or trying to) is the height of narcissism. Let them be. Would you like it if some stranger came up and tried to pet you? I doubt it. Leave the alone. They are not there for your entertainment.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 PM

18,715 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them?

Sure. You can lie down next to bear cubs and snuggle them, too. They're just as cute.

Just count your fingers, ears, and other protruding body parts before doing it, then after the snuggle count them again. You may find a few of them missing. As you noted, seals are carnivores. They're also wild animals. And the bear cubs probably have a Mama nearby, who will get to know you up close and personal-like as soon as she sees you messing with her kids.

The difference between baby seals and baby bears? The baby bears' mom won't bother spitting out the body parts before going for more.

Don't know if the Mama seal will do that. Want to be the first to find out?

Old 10-25-2019, 06:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them a little, like you do with a dog?

Sometimes in winter, I will see a young seal on the beaches of Long Island. They just lying there for rest I guess. They are so cute. I want to lay down next to it and hug it. I imagine their fur being so soft.

I am afraid they will bite me though. Seals are carnivores. Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
Go ahead, I believe the fine is $20K and 5 years in jail for harassing wildlife....

Old 10-25-2019, 10:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,021 times
Well...I was out in the woods this summer and I saw a black bear cub...it was SO CUTE that I just had to cuddle it...NOT! Mom was probably nearby. I got the **** out of there ASAP!

I live on the opposite coast from you. I’ve seen baby seals on the sand more than once. Usually it’s because mom leaves them there while looking for food.

Many years ago in SoCal, my 2 dogs & I were climbing down the cliffs to get to the beach. Both dogs stopped in their tracks. There was a sea lion on the rocks. It showed us its huge yellow teeth and gave us a very loud “back off” warning. The dogs (one was a Great Dane) & I immediately got the message and we headed the other direction.

This post is a joke...right??

Old 10-26-2019, 04:04 PM

9,397 posts, read 11,143,637 times
Quote:
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them a little, like you do with a dog?

Sometimes in winter, I will see a young seal on the beaches of Long Island. They just lying there for rest I guess. They are so cute. I want to lay down next to it and hug it. I imagine their fur being so soft.

I am afraid they will bite me though. Seals are carnivores. Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
If this post is serious, then you probably should not go to the beach unsupervised. You could end up horribly mauled or very very dead.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:08 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,461 times
Quote:
Did not know NY had an aquarium. I was in Hawaii, and I got to pet a full grown seal. But it was raised in captivity. But this adult did not look too cuddly. Its fur is not as fluff and the smaller white ones I see on LI beaches.

Some people keep them as pets dont they?
My emerald tree boas have very long front teeth, top and bottom. They are designed to act as meat hooks to hang onto prey so it isn't dropped. I never considered them as pets. They could be handled during the day, but at night they go into hunting mode. Enter their enclosure at your own risk. I fed them frozen, thawed warmed up rats from 15" hemostats. In their natural habitat they hunt from a stationary position by heat sensors.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:19 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
My emerald tree boas have very long front teeth, top and bottom. They are designed to act as meat hooks to hang onto prey so it isn't dropped. I never considered them as pets. They could be handled during the day, but at night they go into hunting mode. Enter their enclosure at your own risk. I fed them frozen, thawed warmed up rats from 15" hemostats. In their natural habitat they hunt from a stationary position by heat sensors.

My boas were pets and when others were around they would choose to come to me rather than them. They actually do get to know their owners to some degree. They were fed live critters and were never a problem at night as opposed to day. The only thing that might make them bite was if they hadn't been fed recently and were hungry. Although, they would occasionally bite if too many people were handling them at once and they got annoyed. Later when I had my own children I gave them away. Wouldn't take that risk.

That said, I'm presuming the OP just posted this to get a rise out of some since he/she has stayed away from the thread except for one post that totally avoided all of the comments that should have been offensive if it were a true question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature