Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 11:35 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The man and the fox share a strong and wonderful bond; it's called love. The fox is without worries about food or enemies. He needn't even fear the loss of strength that comes with old age. I can't understand how anyone could react negatively to these two. Their bond is obviously as strong as that between man and wolf. I guess that few know that the dog we all know and love is a subspecies of Canis lupus, but the mitochondrial DNA proves it.

I have a cat who is at least fourteen; he was once feral, but today he has both my dog and me whom he can love and from whom he receives love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,375,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
If I were you, I'd install an ultrasound scare device, to keep seals from jumping on my boat. Of course, the device isn't an option if I frequently bring my dog on the boat with me; dogs can hear ultrasound too. But then the dog can scare the seals away.
It was only a few times that happened and my boat was dry stored not in the water all the time.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:29 AM

533 posts, read 1,167,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
They are there alone because their mothers told them to stay there. Mom will be back.

This. It’s not uncommon for a mother seal to leave their young on the beach for several hours while they look for food.

These are protected species under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and messing with them will earn you a nice ticket. When I worked in WA, the fine was anywhere from $500 to $1500. That’s just a ticket - not an actual charge through a US Attorney’s Office, which is usually much more.

Other than being illegal, trying to “pet” wildlife is dangerous AND ignorant.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:49 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
So it is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ji8YBUQdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJTbfnCVkA

Old 11-03-2019, 03:58 PM

23,077 posts, read 18,456,708 times
Man, OP you're not letting this one go are you?

Fine. Do what you want. When that cute harmless-looking furry sausage rips your hand open and breaks a few bones don't say no one warned you. Have fun justifying this to a ER doc.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-03-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 04:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
That is obvious. Be cautious with any animal who doesn't know you. Let him take the lead.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,735,859 times
They're not dogs. Leave them alone aside from the risk of injury to yourself, the vast majority of wild animals don't want human interaction. You also don't want him/her to be complacent around humans. Just because you wouldn't hurt a seal doesn't mean other humans won't. Stop thinking about what you want and think about what's best for the animal.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:19 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,383,156 times
can't wait for the news footage of Seal attacks nature lover. put your dog in a potato sack and pretend it's a seal lol

Old 11-05-2019, 06:55 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,103,596 times
Obviously the OP has posted this to taunt and watch the responses. Sorta like the guy that glues a quarter to the floor and watches everyone walking by try to pick it up. Were he/she genuine in their question there would have been a few more comments from him/her over being basically called an idiot 25 times.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,848,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Obviously the OP has posted this to taunt and watch the responses. Sorta like the guy that glues a quarter to the floor and watches everyone walking by try to pick it up. Were he/she genuine in their question there would have been a few more comments from him/her over being basically called an idiot 25 times.
I agree. I'll refrain from calling it "trolling", though. It wasn't really meant to anger or upset the readers, like dead baby jokes in threads about miscarriage, or swastika images in threads on Jewish topics. It was basically an annoying practical joke. Otherwise, the OP would have posted updates or comments on what prompted him/her to even think about touching dangerous wildlife. If he/she wants to pet an animal that badly, it's safer and more rewarding to volunteer as a dog walker. Hey, dogs have fur just like baby seals do.

I know there were cases of dolphins rescuing or protecting humans at sea, but those are isolated incidents that were initiated by dolphins themselves. Here, we're talking about a person doing the approaching. Plus, seals aren't dolphins and may see humans differently, for all I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature