Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 02:50 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
There may also be laws against what you are thinking of.
There are. The most basic is this:

https://www.fws.gov/international/la...ction-act.html

It is illegal to harass, injure, kill, etc. any of the marine mammals listed under this international law. Messing with a stressed out beached seal is harassment. Snuggle and hug them? What planet did you grow up on OP? Are you a troll?

Leave the seals alone. If you see one beached and alone like that, it probably needs help. Contact a local animal control or fish and game department office to let them take the most HELPFUL and APPROPRIATE action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 03:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
I hope so.
Don't forget to give mama a hug, too!

Old 10-24-2019, 03:51 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them a little, like you do with a dog?

Sometimes in winter, I will see a young seal on the beaches of Long Island. They just lying there for rest I guess. They are so cute. I want to lay down next to it and hug it. I imagine their fur being so soft.

I am afraid they will bite me though. Seals are carnivores. Are young seals generally hostile like wolves?
I'm sorry ... this has to be a joke, right? No one could be this ... well, I can't think of a word that wouldn't get me banned from C-D ...

But holy crap, OP. Seriously?

"Sometimes I see foxes in my backyard, and they are so beautiful I just want to cuddle them like I do my cats and dogs. That would love that too, right?"

Old 10-24-2019, 05:03 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
No, don't pet the seals. Go to an animal shelter or rescue and adopt a dog. That dog will be your most loyal friend for life and would love to be petted and snuggled and go on walks on the beach.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:34 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm sorry ... this has to be a joke, right? No one could be this ... well, I can't think of a word that wouldn't get me banned from C-D ...

"Sometimes I see foxes in my backyard, and they are so beautiful I just want to cuddle them like I do my cats and dogs. That would love that too, right?"
That's what I was thinking. This can't be real.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 PM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
Young beached seals may be adorable, but my first instinct wouldn't be to cuddle them. The poor things are probably terrified.

I'd probably be asking around about what government department I should contact to rescue them, or wondering if it would be safe for me to move them into the ocean myself. Or maybe I'd look for a bucket to splash them with, to make sure they don't dry out.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Leave them Alone! Or Mom Will Reject them & They will Die! STAY AWAY
But I dont think these I see need their mothers or are that young still. They are all by themselves, and they are not that small. They arent huge or max length for a seal. They have white fur. They are maybe three to four feet in length, and really plump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
And you want to disturb them why exactly? They likely are wet and smell bad. Get a dog or a cat to satisfy your need for cuteness, or just volunteer at the animal shelter. Leave wild animals alone.
The seals are more rotund. They just look like pillows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Can you approach young beached seals, pet, and snuggle them?

No. It's illegal to touch or interfere with them. What you are suggesting - snuggling - is actually molestation in this scenario. It's harmful to the animal because of the mother's reaction and possible rejection of it if you leave your human scent on the youngster. If you do handle it you will frighten it and its cries for help may attract the attention of adult seals, as well as attracting other land predators that would kill it.
I usually see this seals solitary. There are no large groups of seals around. Its Long Island. I usually see one or two very far apart from each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yAEp5IrrIE

Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Razor sharp teeth

Old 10-25-2019, 12:16 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
They are there alone because their mothers told them to stay there. Mom will be back.

Instead of cuddling baby seals, how about reading about them? You could appreciate them in a more appropriate, but still satisfying, way.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:35 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Keep wildlife wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature