U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 08:48 AM

1,103 posts, read 681,212 times

Advertisements

I'm convinced the only survivors after a nuclear holocaust will be roaches, mosquitoes and squirrels...And maybe fire ants.

Have yet to buy a completely squirrel-proof bird feeder. They should all be renamed squirrel feeders.

Setting aside food for the squirrels not only doesn't prevent them from raiding our bird feeders, but just seems to attract more as the word gets out. Pretty sure some are traveling from the neighboring counties..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 09:35 AM

5,554 posts, read 2,439,522 times
squirrels=rats with bushy tails......

Old 10-29-2019, 11:14 AM

16,087 posts, read 9,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
squirrels=rats with bushy tails......
Sure...it's irrational perhaps, but I still love 'em! Just like we're wired to like things with big cute eyes!

Old 10-29-2019, 01:16 PM

936 posts, read 532,158 times
Love this thread. Glad to find such nice people among us. We had a similar experience - had some weight controlled bird feeders up but the squirrels figured out by hanging upside down from the tree branch - they could still raid the bird feeders. So now we free free squirrels and bunnies we have by just buying those huge bags of squirrel and bunny food and throwing it down on what is left of the backyard grass -near where the bird feeders are up. They all eat in harmony and we love watching how happy they are to discover the banquet hall. We will sometimes buy a bunch of corn and carrots - they are cheap enough this time of year - and cut them up to throw out. The grandkids love to do it and we all get a kick out of seeing them discover corn for the first time.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:35 PM

11,303 posts, read 3,413,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The OP's picture of his feeder is why I just throw out handfuls of raw peanuts in the shell and just let the squirrels come get them. I enjoy watching the squirrels eat them on the spot or run off and bury them, and they leave my bird feeder alone, so it's a win-win for all. I especially like the little bob-tailed squirrel who travels throughout the neighborhood on the telephone wires - he's an amusing little acrobat!
I do have stuff I feed the squirrels ... right below the bird feeder in the pic is a thing that holds critter corn, and there was some corn on it when I took the pic. And I also sometimes put out peanuts in the same spot. But that doesn't stop the squirrel from raiding that feeder anyway. No matter what I give the squirrels, they raid the feeder regardless.

Often I put safflower seed in that feeder which the squirrels don't like. But the last time I saw them do this they had opened the feeder just like in the pic just to be able to scour through the feeder and see if there was anything else besides safflower seed in the feeder. There was safflower seed scattered all over the ground. Squirrel must have gone through a lot of work only to find there wasn't anything in there that it liked. But it made a big mess below the feeder.

Most of my other feeders are squirrel proof, and they leave those alone. It's just this one I have in this one spot closest to my kitchen window. Largely for my cat to watch.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:46 PM

308 posts, read 431,126 times
Lotsa squirrels here as I love to feed and watch the birds, especially this time of year, when they all seem to be more friendly. I still remember this one squirrel last winter, during a bad cold snap. S/he started jumping up and down on a fairly large snow hill in my yard, and then started digging furiously down into it. It took a while, but it came up holding a small nut.

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-29-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 10-29-2019, 03:49 PM

9,312 posts, read 11,280,937 times
We have one especially that my husband says taunts him, looks in through the glass sliding door and eats bird seed while almost laughing at him. He threatens his life frequently, but it's just a game they have going on.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:42 PM

7,864 posts, read 13,316,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
So I got home from work today, and look what happened to my bird feeder?

I've seen them do this once before. Not only did the squirrel figure out how to open the bird feeder lid, it figured out how to pull (or push) up the plastic screen.
My dad took care of the squirrel problem with his bird feeder but it took a little work. He put a 4x4 in the ground and wrapped two sheets of tin around it. He put the bottom one on first then overlapped the top one over it. That way the rascally squirrels can't jump up and grab the top of the bottom sheet of tin and work their way up. Then he fastened a piece of PVC pipe across the top to hang the feeder from. He notched it and wrapped black tape around the pipe on each side of the notch to hold it in place. Squirrels never got up to it but they didn't have to. The birds are such messy eaters they knock more out on the ground than they eat, I think. lol

Old 10-29-2019, 07:11 PM

2,235 posts, read 468,863 times
I buy food for birds and squirrels from Wegmans (different bags of stuff). Occasionally buy peanuts as well. Both the blue jays and squirrels love the peanuts.

The somewhat decrepit picnic table in my back yard serves as a dining table for all and the blue jays will start squawking in the morning if I hadn't yet put out the breakfast.

Some mornings, I see around 5 squirrels, 40 birds (mostly morning doves, blue jays, sparrows, grackles, and occasionally a woodpecker and 1 male cardinal) and several chipmunks, all on or under the picnic table. For awhile, a groundhog was also coming by but haven't seen him in awhile.

Have never seen a hawk try to get any of these guys, but I know when my neighbor's cat is in my yard, as someone, I think a blue jay, will let out a piercing warning and there will be a wild flutter of activity of everyone scrambling to get away.

Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 PM

7,864 posts, read 13,316,678 times
I've watched one of the hawks in our neighborhood carry off a squirrel and wished I could have sent him a thank you note.

Squirrels also like tomatoes and lettuce. Tried growing three tomato plants for my wife and a little lettuce in a small raised bed and the next door neighbors said there were 4 or 5 squirrels sitting there eating on those tomatoes and lettuce. If I had known they were going to do that I would have left a bottle of salad dressing out there for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or