U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:04 AM

24,446 posts, read 29,482,148 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TamMqvk4Bb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-cNrFeaYWo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 AM

1,255 posts, read 715,421 times
We have bob cats around here. When we see him (her?) slinking by pretty soon the squirrel population begins to drastically reduce. Then after while the squirrels repopulate the place. Happens in cycles.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 3,359,683 times
I had some rats move in on my big bird-feeding table. So I got one of those new-fangled plastic rat traps, with the jagged teeth and baited it with peanut butter. Then I looked out and a squirrel was draped over the top and his weight kept the jaws from snapping shut, as he reached down and pulled up the glob of peanut butter. How could he possibly have learned how to do that? There would be no second chances.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:45 AM

14,229 posts, read 19,465,925 times
i buy 40 lbs of wild bird seed and I put out the food every few days and everyone gets their share . I put a handful of peanuts in the shell out for the squirrels and it keeps them from tearing up my bird feeders so im okay with that .

Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 AM

1,051 posts, read 929,627 times
The wife and I bought a home almost 2 years ago and with it came a bird feeder. I have not seen a squirrel get on the platform where the birds eat. That being said, I don’t mind having squirrels . I will even buy the peanut and sunflower seed bag to feed them. I would also include the 2 chipmunks we have living nearby.

I even got to the point during the last two seasons where I can get 1 or 2 squirrels to approach me when I have food. I haven’t fed them out of my hands , but they will come within a foot or so to me.

A favorite squirrel of ours was one named Chip. He was an older squirrel that would not move or scatter when I would walk out the door. He or she would continue eating the food while the others would run to the nearby tree and look at Chip and wonder if he was crazy. Chip was also fat too. He also ruled the area too.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:58 AM

11,303 posts, read 3,413,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I had some rats move in on my big bird-feeding table. So I got one of those new-fangled plastic rat traps, with the jagged teeth and baited it with peanut butter. Then I looked out and a squirrel was draped over the top and his weight kept the jaws from snapping shut, as he reached down and pulled up the glob of peanut butter. How could he possibly have learned how to do that? There would be no second chances.
See thread title!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:17 AM

1,442 posts, read 722,712 times
Never underestimate human ingenuity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgDa_cpgHWs

Old 10-30-2019, 08:17 AM

1,426 posts, read 3,570,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The OP's picture of his feeder is why I just throw out handfuls of raw peanuts in the shell and just let the squirrels come get them. I enjoy watching the squirrels eat them on the spot or run off and bury them, and they leave my bird feeder alone, so it's a win-win for all. I especially like the little bob-tailed squirrel who travels throughout the neighborhood on the telephone wires - he's an amusing little acrobat!
Funny, we have a couple of bob tailed squirrels also. I know one was injured as I saw his tail de-furred and over the course of a few weeks, it literally shriveled up and dropped off. He also is missing a front paw. (I have a soft spot in my heart for him.) The other one looks like he was born with a bob tail. He reminds me of a bunny when he runs across the open field.

We are actually overrun with squirrels. In just our tiny yard, we have three oak trees. Acorns abound, thus an abundance of squirrels. Luckily, I enjoy watching them. However, I have been "traumatized" a couple of times when they have fallen out of the trees with a loud thud in my yard. I had one hit our deck railing and die in front of me. So sad.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM

2,852 posts, read 2,504,064 times
They are tenacious creatures. They are cute but to me they are also vermin (along with the deer). I wish sometimes I had the heart to dispatch them. I had a yard party this summer and put up 4 strings of patio lights (day of). Fortunately, they lasted that one night. The next day they were in 6 pieces. They're chewing along the top of my shed door trying to get in there in the winter. I finally got the bird feeders where they and the deer can't get to them (Eureka!). In my other house they've chewed their way into the attic 3 times in different spots, chewed the wiring harness in my husband's truck and the wiring harness in my car. They chewed the wiring to all of my outdoor lighting while in the attic/soffits twice. Ugh.
Cute? Yes. But not cute enough for me to willingly feed them anymore.
But they definitely aren't to be underestimated!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 AM

1,583 posts, read 1,045,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I've watched one of the hawks in our neighborhood carry off a squirrel and wished I could have sent him a thank you note.

Squirrels also like tomatoes and lettuce. Tried growing three tomato plants for my wife and a little lettuce in a small raised bed and the next door neighbors said there were 4 or 5 squirrels sitting there eating on those tomatoes and lettuce. If I had known they were going to do that I would have left a bottle of salad dressing out there for them!

Lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or