Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I used to love feeding the birds but then I wound up with a stray cat who comes & goes so I don't want to entice the birds anymore so the cat can kill them. BTW I had the cat spayed and she stays in at night.

Had the same happen. Moved the feeders, raised the baths and hung bells on the cat collar (wasn't a stray but a bro & sis that lived up the road but hung out in my yard most of the time).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 08:46 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
I've dealt with Northern, Western, and Midwestern squirrels, but none comes close to Texas squirrels in terms of tenacity, smarts, stubbornness, and downright meanness. I think the harsh environment breeds it, like in the ants here.

I swear I hear them tauntingly cackle from the tree tops every time I head out to shoo them away from the bird feeder or garden edibles. They similarly toy with the dog in his futile attempts to catch them.

Fat as they already are, they'd probably sacrifice their mothers for that last bit of birdseed too.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Squirrels are rodents and can cause expensive damage to homes. If you get one in your attic and it chews into your electrical system it is very expensive to repair. We have pecan trees and it's a battle to keep the squirrels out of the trees. I do not like squirrels.

The battle for pecans started long ago. I always called it the War of the Pecans hubby vs the squirrels. One morning we got up and stepping out the front door laying on the porch was 3 cracked pecans. Sort of like "look here old man we got the pecans while you were sleeping!" They are smart and certainly tenacious. We have red tail hawks nesting in our lower 2 wooded acres. They do pick up squirrels then 10 more appear.
Ok..so that's where the half eaten pecan shells are coming from.
I see them all over my back yard, but I don't have the trees...just the squirrels.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM

Instead of a wreath this year, I opted for a Fall front door decoration comprised of intertwined ears of dried multicored corn.

Yesterday I found it laying on the ground with the ears mostly eaten.

Pretty sure it's the squirrels.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
My parents have been feeding the squirrels for decades. They come up to the window to look in and see if anyone is home. If no one is forthcoming with peanuts, they will bang against the window to alert them to their presence. They've really become quite spoiled.

when I lived in a mobile home in the country they would come up to my sliding glass doors and bang and see if they could get peanuts throwed to em and on occasion they would take the peanuts out of my hands . I had a friend staying with me once out there and she made the mistake of leaving the sliding glass doors open and a squirrel ran into the house and it freaked and the dog chased it back outside and came back when called but she was a nervous wreck when I got home .

Old 10-31-2019, 08:46 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MSOJgPkVfc

Old 10-31-2019, 10:45 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,878 times
Squirrels go up on roofs and eat the lead boots around the vent pipes. Then the roof leaks. And woe to the homeowner who gets them in the attic. They are cute and I love to watch them, but they sure can be destructive. We had bird seed once many moons ago. We had possums on the back porch after it. Ugly little things.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:39 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Instead of a wreath this year, I opted for a Fall front door decoration comprised of intertwined ears of dried multicored corn.

Yesterday I found it laying on the ground with the ears mostly eaten.

Pretty sure it's the squirrels.
Oh my goodness. I think if I tried putting a wreath like that up it would turn into popcorn with our record breaking heat.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:40 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Squirrels go up on roofs and eat the lead boots around the vent pipes. Then the roof leaks. And woe to the homeowner who gets them in the attic. They are cute and I love to watch them, but they sure can be destructive. We had bird seed once many moons ago. We had possums on the back porch after it. Ugly little things.
Possums are actually good for the environment in many ways. They eat ticks and they rarely get rabies. But yeah, they are ugly. So ugly, they're ugly.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Oh my goodness. I think if I tried putting a wreath like that up it would turn into popcorn with our record breaking heat.

Climate is too humid for us southern coastal folks. If anything it should have happened during the hot summer months when I lived in NV.

But the door hanging made it in one piece from both the NV heat and NV squirrels. Then it encountered TX squirrels...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature