Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 04:39 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times

Advertisements

So I got home from work today, and look what happened to my bird feeder?

I've seen them do this once before. Not only did the squirrel figure out how to open the bird feeder lid, it figured out how to pull (or push) up the plastic screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Never underestimate squirrels-squirrel-action.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 05:10 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,148 times
Squirrels gotta eat too!

Old 10-28-2019, 05:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
squirrels that survive rely upon underestimation.

Old 10-28-2019, 06:54 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,511 times
I was just thinking about squirrels the other day; we have practically infestation levels in MN and they seem to be thriving. Never seen one with a birth defect, sick or rabid. I love all animals but they eat the birds and bunny food.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:18 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,521,992 times
^
We have so many squirrels around KC, I've often wondered why there aren't more predators in the suburbs. Especially red tail hawks. I see some of them along the highways and some other spots, but with all the zillions of squirrels in the regular suburban areas, you'd think it would be a feast for something like a red tail hawk. But I've never seen any in my neighborhood, just a Cooper's hawk a few times (which eat birds, not squirrels).

Old 10-28-2019, 08:02 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
I had a bird feeder with a roof secured by a metal piece that screwed on and off to open the feeder. A squirrel unscrewed it and threw the metal piece into the woods. I never did find it. They are clever little creatures.

I put out an open feeder for them so they don't have to work so hard (and destroy my feeders) to get food.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:24 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I was just thinking about squirrels the other day; we have practically infestation levels in MN and they seem to be thriving. Never seen one with a birth defect, sick or rabid. I love all animals but they eat the birds and bunny food.
Depending on what you feed birds, bunnies, and squirrels they can all eat their own, tailored-for-them food. Finches, sparrows, wrens, and doves all like safflower seed - and surprisingly, so do rabbits! Squirrels don't like safflower seed but of course love peanuts...and they seem to do alright sharing with cardinals and blue jays. Sunflower seeds are a no-no as they will figure out most bird feeders and gorge themselves.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:21 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Squirrels seem to live by the maxim: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:22 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
^
We have so many squirrels around KC, I've often wondered why there aren't more predators in the suburbs. Especially red tail hawks. I see some of them along the highways and some other spots, but with all the zillions of squirrels in the regular suburban areas, you'd think it would be a feast for something like a red tail hawk. But I've never seen any in my neighborhood, just a Cooper's hawk a few times (which eat birds, not squirrels).
I remember watching a National Geographic show about wolves and how when they were practically decimated in parts of the U.S., rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs and other prey animals proliferated like crazy since they had few predators to worry about.

Mother Nature keeps a nice balance and when we kill off predators like wolves, coyotes, foxes and the like, this is what happens. The show also mentioned that the majority of a wolf's diet is rabbits and other small rodents. They are not the murderous killers that they have been rumored to be for so many hundred of years.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:47 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
The OP's picture of his feeder is why I just throw out handfuls of raw peanuts in the shell and just let the squirrels come get them. I enjoy watching the squirrels eat them on the spot or run off and bury them, and they leave my bird feeder alone, so it's a win-win for all. I especially like the little bob-tailed squirrel who travels throughout the neighborhood on the telephone wires - he's an amusing little acrobat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature