Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 08:02 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
I'm convinced the only survivors after a nuclear holocaust will be roaches, mosquitoes and squirrels...And maybe fire ants.

Have yet to buy a completely squirrel-proof bird feeder. They should all be renamed squirrel feeders.

Setting aside food for the squirrels not only doesn't prevent them from raiding our bird feeders, but just seems to attract more as the word gets out. Pretty sure some are traveling from the neighboring counties..
I have one of these and they ARE 100% squirrel proof:

RollerFeeder – World's Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

I also made a couple of these too- 100% squirrel proof:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...-proof-birdfe/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 08:21 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Just think of all the engineers and designers who spend all their time trying to come up with ways to thwart squirrels at bird feeders. It must be a multi-million dollar business!

I bet the squirrels would be proud to know that.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:57 AM

61 posts, read 31,475 times
Obvious dude Never underestimate the power of a squirrel because he is Avtar of some Lord and squirrel eats lots of peanuts, in the village if we keep our peanuts bag in outsiders are then they clean each and every peanut.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 AM

98 posts, read 109,713 times
Those tree rats have chewed through two sets of Christmas lights (so far). I can't put a pumpkin out, and they destroy my flowers in the summer. They don't touch the neighbors' stuff. My neighbors don't feed them, but I do. That's a fine "thank you"! <sigh>

Old 11-18-2019, 12:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absodamnposilutely View Post
Those tree rats have chewed through two sets of Christmas lights (so far). I can't put a pumpkin out, and they destroy my flowers in the summer. They don't touch the neighbors' stuff. My neighbors don't feed them, but I do. That's a fine "thank you"! <sigh>
If you put peanuts out as a "decoy" I bet they'll turn their nose up at all the garden stuff, pumpkins, and maybe even your lights. Of course that still means they'll have won but on YOUR terms!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:12 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,121,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If you put peanuts out as a "decoy" I bet they'll turn their nose up at all the garden stuff, pumpkins, and maybe even your lights. Of course that still means they'll have won but on YOUR terms!

Nope... tried it. It just brings more squirrels to the circus. It's an open invitation to come and join the party.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 AM

98 posts, read 109,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I feed them peanuts every day. I even hand feed them.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:15 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
"I feed them peanuts every day"...as do I, but now they are "splits" or chopped, not whole. I found squirrels would bury whole peanuts, and I'd have peanut plants everywhere. I live close to peanut country, so my price/pound for peanuts is cheap...squirrels live high on the hog here.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-19-2019, 12:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I feed them peanuts every day"...as do I, but now they are "splits" or chopped, not whole. I found squirrels would bury whole peanuts, and I'd have peanut plants everywhere. I live close to peanut country, so my price/pound for peanuts is cheap...squirrels live high on the hog here.

Regards
Gemstone1
I've seen "my" squirrels bury them but haven't recognized any plants - maybe I just mow them down before they look like anything?

Old 11-19-2019, 03:08 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
What a Peanut plant looks like.

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature