Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 05:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times

Advertisements

I saw something unusual on a trail at a nature park this evening. Walking the trail I saw up ahead three people crouched around what I first thought was probably a cat. When I got there it was a wild raccoon who appeared to be sick but not aggressive and wouldn't run from people. It just sat on its hind legs at the side of the trail, with its head kind of bowed and shivering, looking weak and appearing as if it wanted help. They had called the ranger and we assumed the raccoon was ill, and I went on my way. I just never seen a wild animal behave like that. It's kind of sad to see any living creature sick, suffering and probably dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 06:17 PM

128 posts, read 113,535 times
It happens...fairly rare but it does.

We had a group that were sick in my neighborhood, 3 or 4 of them over a 2 month period.

They have to be put down unfortunately.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Call Native Animal Rescue. How could you let an animal suffer like that and do nothing?

Please call asap.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:30 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
It was probably rabid. I hope no one handled it.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Call Native Animal Rescue. How could you let an animal suffer like that and do nothing?

Please call asap.
Read the OP again. Someone had already called for help. No one was "doing nothing".

OP there are several diseases, even end stage parasitic infestations that could have caused this. Rabies is just one. Canine distemper, leptospirosis, tularemia. It could even have been a traumatic injury. Poor thing, I hope it is put out of its misery soon.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Read the OP again. Someone had already called for help. No one was "doing nothing".

OP there are several diseases, even end stage parasitic infestations that could have caused this. Rabies is just one. Canine distemper, leptospirosis, tularemia. It could even have been a traumatic injury. Poor thing, I hope it is put out of its misery soon.
Yeah, I was thinking it seemed like he probably had some kind of infection or illness, but was not sure what. It didn't seem like it was an injury but maybe. It really looked pitiful and I'm guessing had to be put down.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:28 PM

91 posts, read 59,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I saw something unusual on a trail at a nature park this evening. Walking the trail I saw up ahead three people crouched around what I first thought was probably a cat. When I got there it was a wild raccoon who appeared to be sick but not aggressive and wouldn't run from people. It just sat on its hind legs at the side of the trail, with its head kind of bowed and shivering, looking weak and appearing as if it wanted help. They had called the ranger and we assumed the raccoon was ill, and I went on my way. I just never seen a wild animal behave like that. It's kind of sad to see any living creature sick, suffering and probably dying.
That's so sad, the poor little guy! I hope they put him out of his suffering quickly.

Just as an fyi for anyone who's interested, Animal Help Now has a website & an app that will assist you in locating help for distressed wildlife. You put in your location & a little info about the situation & they give you a list of organizations that might be able to help.

Luckily in this situation it was at a park & a ranger could be called.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
Had one in my yard once and called the police. Officer came out and shot it. Sad, but better than letting it suffer and it is potentially dangerous to humans and other animals.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:52 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,916,672 times
Rabid animals will attack more often than not.

Distempered generally will not.

I once had to shoot, then bury a Distempered raccoon that came into my yard, because nobody would come out. This was back in the 80's and I lived a lot less rural than I do now.

The OP was wise to keep on moving, since someone had already called the park ranger.

If the raccoon did have distemper, that stuff carries on shoes & clothing, food and water bowls. It is a very hardy disease.

Don't take my word for it, google it.

This should help people understand why they need to keep their own critters vaccinated.

Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Raccoons end up with some kind of brain worm that makes them appear tame.

They are sick and dying and need to be put down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature