Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 10:20 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Rabid animals will attack more often than not.

Distempered generally will not.

I once had to shoot, then bury a Distempered raccoon that came into my yard, because nobody would come out. This was back in the 80's and I lived a lot less rural than I do now.

The OP was wise to keep on moving, since someone had already called the park ranger.

If the raccoon did have distemper, that stuff carries on shoes & clothing, food and water bowls. It is a very hardy disease.

Don't take my word for it, google it.

This should help people understand why they need to keep their own critters vaccinated.
Yeah distemper seems like a good possibility. I don't recall running into ill wildlife and raccoons really before. They always seem healthy and vigorous. I figure they get sick and old too but just don't run across it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 10:13 AM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I saw something unusual on a trail at a nature park this evening. Walking the trail I saw up ahead three people crouched around what I first thought was probably a cat. When I got there it was a wild raccoon who appeared to be sick but not aggressive and wouldn't run from people. It just sat on its hind legs at the side of the trail, with its head kind of bowed and shivering, looking weak and appearing as if it wanted help. They had called the ranger and we assumed the raccoon was ill, and I went on my way. I just never seen a wild animal behave like that. It's kind of sad to see any living creature sick, suffering and probably dying.
Rabies?

Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah distemper seems like a good possibility. I don't recall running into ill wildlife and raccoons really before. They always seem healthy and vigorous. I figure they get sick and old too but just don't run across it.
They either hide away knowing they are vulnerable, or predators pick them off and scavengers clean up what's left pretty quickly.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:39 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Call Native Animal Rescue. How could you let an animal suffer like that and do nothing?

Please call asap.

The group of people had called the ranger.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:40 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpctd View Post
It happens...fairly rare but it does.
And you know this how?

Nature is pretty cruel, the world is not a big park. Most animals do not die from old age - they get eaten by another animal or they get sick, or starve in the winter. They get infections from wounds just like people, they are vulnerable to tick-born diseases, there are infectious diseases that get passed around.

It looks upsetting to us but it is how nature works; it is normal.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:10 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
They either hide away knowing they are vulnerable, or predators pick them off and scavengers clean up what's left pretty quickly.
Yeah, it all happens so fast and kind of hidden and mostly I just see the wild animals healthy and doing well and even seeming to be having fun.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:35 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
We have some wildlife police in Oregon that will take care of your problem. They recently killed a young Bobcat that was acting strangely. BANG! you're dead!

Old 11-18-2019, 05:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We have some wildlife police in Oregon that will take care of your problem. They recently killed a young Bobcat that was acting strangely. BANG! you're dead!
The kitten wasn't acting strangely. It was just in what they thought was the wrong place.

Not one of Oregon's best moments.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:19 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Maybe its the Plague...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/us/bu...ado/index.html

Old 11-18-2019, 07:59 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Read the OP again. Someone had already called for help. No one was "doing nothing".

OP there are several diseases, even end stage parasitic infestations that could have caused this. Rabies is just one. Canine distemper, leptospirosis, tularemia. It could even have been a traumatic injury. Poor thing, I hope it is put out of its misery soon.
My sister in law and I were walking on the grounds of a local college once when we saw a fox that was obviously ill. We reported it to college security who dispatched it. Necropsy found distemper.

Vaccinating your pets protects them, but it also protects wildlife that may come in contact with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature