U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 07:11 PM

505 posts, read 109,463 times

Advertisements

I've heard that Southern Magnolias are, although not historically native, naturalized around the Virginian coast and in some parts of the coastal Mid-Atlantic U.S. While the former is pretty believable to me, I'm skeptical because:
--I've also heard they require above-freezing but still sub-40F average lows in the coldest month for seed stratification, or they won't sprout. I believed this easily due to not seeing them in the wild here (only Memphis has above-freezing average lows).
--They're not found in the wild in Tennessee too, which has similar winter nights to the Mid-Atlantic (both extremes and averages) but warms up more during the day.
--I've also heard nothing about them being naturalized in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

So what, as far as I've heard, is wrong? Also, if the seed stratification thing is incorrect, why aren't there wild Southern Magnolias in Arkansas (which wouldn't be too cold anyways), Oklahoma and Tennessee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 07:20 PM

12,579 posts, read 5,678,763 times
They don't require above freezing temps to survive. They do quite well in KY where winter temps are below freezing on and off all winter, although there is a limit to how much cold they can tolerate given the length of time. There are also several varieties, some probably more cold tolerant than others. Magnolia grandiflora (Southern Magnolia) is native to the southeast of the U.S. from North Carolina to Florida and can be grown in USDA zone 6 which can get as cold as -10.
I've personally seen them grown as landscape trees near the Ohio River in the northern part of KY without a problem. Also, just because a tree can be planted and do well as a landscape tree, it doesn't mean the location is ideal for it to naturalize.

Last edited by marino760; 12-06-2019 at 07:33 PM..

Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
They don't require above freezing temps to survive.
I didn't say they require above-freezing average lows to survive. I see them growing around here quite commonly, and they all do extremely well. I was talking about seed stratification.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:54 PM

1,420 posts, read 954,613 times
I occasionally see them in southern NJ. I will take note of them in my travels and report back over the coming year..

You may also want to place this thread in the Garden forum.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
I occasionally see them in southern NJ. I will take note of them in my travels and report back over the coming year..
I appreciate that. Thank you! But don't feel obliged to if you don't want to.

Quote:
You may also want to place this thread in the Garden forum.
The mods are welcome to move this thread if it belongs there, but I thought it belongs in the Nature forum if we're talking about wild magnolias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or