U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: World's Most Favorite/Favourite Animal?
Dolphin 4 6.56%
Birds 4 6.56%
Pony 0 0%
Rabbit 1 1.64%
Spider 0 0%
Wolf 3 4.92%
Lion 1 1.64%
Tiger 2 3.28%
White Tiger 0 0%
Liger 0 0%
Tigon 0 0%
Panda 1 1.64%
Snake 0 0%
Shark 0 0%
Bear 1 1.64%
Fish 0 0%
Horse 2 3.28%
Cat 10 16.39%
Dog 32 52.46%
Cow/Bull 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 10:09 AM

9,324 posts, read 11,297,084 times

Advertisements

I couldn't choose. They all have their own greatness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 12:22 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,162,672 times
If I had to name a personal favourite, I'd say the humpback whale that has always filled me with wonder, but I just love all animals.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:32 PM

6,133 posts, read 4,505,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
All humor (which I find quite funny btw) you're quite right. I've only ever raised pigs as a meat animal but I've found that I have to give them names like Bacon or Pork Chop to help me from becoming attached and winding up with a 600 pound animal because I couldnt bring myself to call the killer.

Pigs are far from dumb and contrary to popular belief are meticulously clean. The only reason a pig will get dirty and live in filth is because ignorant and cruel people force them to.

Yes they like to roll in mud in Summertime but that is just a way to keep cool and coat themselves to keep the intense sun off.

I always provided my hog ( never raised more than one at a time) with good shade and a fresh pool to wallow. They always did their bodily business in a certain place and I kept that area cleaned up.

Never fed them slops either. They got good quality pelleted feed and when my fruit trees started dropping I would feed them that too. Apples and pears mostly. My horses, especially my pride and joy bay mare, loved them green apples too.

Regardless of my efforts to keep from developing attachment with the pig I still felt guilty come butcher time. Pigs are surprisingly good at getting you to like them if you treat them right.

Not exactly a practical pet given their propensity to grow to very large proportions though. But even at that size I've seen pigs that had the disposition of a friendly family dog. You're one of few people I've encountered who has shown the knowing as to what kind of animal pigs actually are. Thumbs up pard.
Check out this Canadian celebrity: https://www.estherthewonderpig.com/about

1.5M followers on face book alone: https://www.facebook.com/estherthewonderpig/

Old 12-25-2019, 06:21 PM

14,634 posts, read 12,069,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Check out this Canadian celebrity: https://www.estherthewonderpig.com/about

1.5M followers on face book alone: https://www.facebook.com/estherthewonderpig/
LOL liked the "Some Pig" reference at the beginning of the article. EB White.. Charlotte's Web. Another I noticed they used was "Radiant". Loved that book as a youngun. Thanks for the links. Good entertainment.

The good old dog does seem to be the heavy favorite followed by our feline friend. Growing up on a ranch where there were no other kids my age close by my best friends were our animals.

I learned , was and still am fluent in ranch dog, barn cat and horse. Does that count as being multi lingual? LOL, If not it should. Those are quite complicated languages that have many words a phrase that can have a dozen meanings depending upon inflection. Worse than Japanese even and that's bad.

Dogs are a critter that can grow on you and cats as well. I found that if I was really bound up and upset about something the dogs and cats were more therapeutic than the horses. The cats had s slight edge I think because their purring was so relaxing and mesmerizing. LMAO but an "I WUV you!!!"face wash by a sympathetic canine critter would cheer me up pretty well too.

I suppose its pretty easy to understand the latter two animals leading the pack as favorites. They do have the greatest percentage of human association. Most people have interacted closely with one or the other and mostly both.

Though I do favor the horse far fewer people have actually had a relationship with them as opposed to dogs and cats.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:47 PM

6,133 posts, read 4,505,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LOL liked the "Some Pig" reference at the beginning of the article. EB White.. Charlotte's Web. Another I noticed they used was "Radiant". Loved that book as a youngun. Thanks for the links. Good entertainment.

The good old dog does seem to be the heavy favorite followed by our feline friend. Growing up on a ranch where there were no other kids my age close by my best friends were our animals.

I learned , was and still am fluent in ranch dog, barn cat and horse. Does that count as being multi lingual? LOL, If not it should. Those are quite complicated languages that have many words a phrase that can have a dozen meanings depending upon inflection. Worse than Japanese even and that's bad.

Dogs are a critter that can grow on you and cats as well. I found that if I was really bound up and upset about something the dogs and cats were more therapeutic than the horses. The cats had s slight edge I think because their purring was so relaxing and mesmerizing. LMAO but an "I WUV you!!!"face wash by a sympathetic canine critter would cheer me up pretty well too.

I suppose its pretty easy to understand the latter two animals leading the pack as favorites. They do have the greatest percentage of human association. Most people have interacted closely with one or the other and mostly both.

Though I do favor the horse far fewer people have actually had a relationship with them as opposed to dogs and cats.
Yes I agree. I've had horses, dogs and a cat. Some horses are as affectionate as they can be, but there doesn't seem to be an emotional attachment. Feeding time is the most charged up they get at the sight of their humans.

Dogs, on the other hand, can sense your moods and mine always make me feel better. Our cat lived for being petted, but wasn't any more or any less affected when I was having a bad day.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:02 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,183,587 times
I've long been fascinated by the various species of crocs going back all the way to the Mesozoic era.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:42 AM

7,482 posts, read 4,654,042 times
I love animals, even the ones that are not conventionally cute and cuddly.

Insects, snakes and spiders fascinate me and I will handle them as long as they are not venomous. I have raised mantises and several types of butterfly, moved tarantulas off the trail so they don't get stepped on, picked up all kinds of snakes (but not rattlers).

Marine mammals are fascinating; nothing better than being at the beach and seeing a pod of dolphins go by, or a sea lion or seal sunning on the rocks, or the occasional whale spouting.

I love horses although I don't have a great deal of experience with them, I rode a bit as a teenager. They are beautiful and noble, hard-working. People wouldn't have progressed as far and as fast as they did without horses.

I love dogs for their deep connection to humanity although this is one animal that humans have not necessarily always changed for the better.

There are too many types of animals to comment on, but if I had to pick one personal favorite though it would be the cat. There is something very special about them and their combination of affection and independence. Maybe it's because they are the only domestic species that chose us to associate with, rather than the other way around.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:49 AM

15,862 posts, read 14,270,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
That's a Color that's in ALL horses including Quarter Horse!

You don't seem to Know horses at all sheesh

No, this kind of coloring, this "metallic sheen" is very specific to this particular breed- ( Akhal-Teke,) and yes, they are on "spindly" and "skinny" side.
They have their own merits ( being very much "dog like" in terms of loyalty to their masters and they are very agile - so with other words, they were bred for centuries in their part of the world with certain goals in mind.)

Old 12-29-2019, 05:12 PM

18,764 posts, read 4,663,753 times
dogs are my favorite.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:43 PM

14,634 posts, read 12,069,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
No, this kind of coloring, this "metallic sheen" is very specific to this particular breed- ( Akhal-Teke,) and yes, they are on "spindly" and "skinny" side.
They have their own merits ( being very much "dog like" in terms of loyalty to their masters and they are very agile - so with other words, they were bred for centuries in their part of the world with certain goals in mind.)
Interesting. Not familiar with this particular breed. I would have pinned it for an Arab line of some sort. But certainly not a cattle working horse. LOL...an average size steer would pull the critter right over on the dally.

Might show it some disrespect on turn back duty. Unless your working Aussie with a whip. You say they're agile so might make a good penning and reining mount with a light rider. Be a good mount for my lady. She only goes a shade over 90 pounds with her boots on at 5'1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or