U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: World's Most Favorite/Favourite Animal?
Dolphin 4 6.56%
Birds 4 6.56%
Pony 0 0%
Rabbit 1 1.64%
Spider 0 0%
Wolf 3 4.92%
Lion 1 1.64%
Tiger 2 3.28%
White Tiger 0 0%
Liger 0 0%
Tigon 0 0%
Panda 1 1.64%
Snake 0 0%
Shark 0 0%
Bear 1 1.64%
Fish 0 0%
Horse 2 3.28%
Cat 10 16.39%
Dog 32 52.46%
Cow/Bull 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 10:32 PM

7,160 posts, read 5,077,791 times

Advertisements

There's nothing like an alley cat
Who creeps around at night
Walks the fence like an acrobat
Quite an amazing sight

One cold dark night I spotted one
Behind the trash he tried to hide
He was too scared to try to run
I grabbed him, brought him inside

Six years later he still lives here
But he's a housecat now
We celebrated the new year
And he let out a meow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 09:22 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,969,484 times
I think mankind's long relationship with dogs as co-workers and companions makes them the world's favorite. I love dogs and also have a strong affinity for horses and monkeys.

BTW the horse in the OP is a Akhal Teke and they are supposed to be built that way. This is a desert breed so heavy muscle and more body fat would make them prone to overheating. They have a metallic sheen to their coat that is unique to the breed making that perlino coat even more amazing. But I also prefer a more stocky horse and personally prefer a bay coat with high black stockings and minimal white, over the more fancy colors.

Perlino by the eway is not a color found in all breeds. Neither is the Palomino color that poster thinks they are seeing. Some breeds do not carry the cream, silver, dun, or pearl modifiers. These modifyers act on Black, Bay, brown/chestnut make colors like, palomino, buckskin, cremello, silver dapple and perlino possible.

Last edited by shadowfax; 01-03-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 12:38 PM

8,241 posts, read 7,148,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post

BTW the horse in the OP is a Akhal Teke ....... They have a metallic sheen to their coat that is unique to the breed .......

I learned that the reason for the metallic or iridescent sheen is because they have hollow hair shafts, which other horses do not. The hollow hairs reflect prismatic (rainbow) light and the surrounding colours in their environment rather than absorbing it, thus making the hairs seem to glow with the metallic sheen.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:35 AM

14,632 posts, read 12,067,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I learned that the reason for the metallic or iridescent sheen is because they have hollow hair shafts, which other horses do not. The hollow hairs reflect prismatic (rainbow) light and the surrounding colours in their environment rather than absorbing it, thus making the hairs seem to glow with the metallic sheen.
In the Spring when my mare would shed her Winter coat I would give her a bath and curry her out. Oh my would she just glow. Like burnished copper. It was a lot of work keeping her looking Spring fresh in the hot months though.

She got itchy and would rub out her tail dock in particular on the fence. In the end I found that a high self sunscreen applied liberally kept her from doing that.

Bathing her in the hot months I just didnt do unless I had to. That would serve to dry out her skin more. She didnt mind a nice cool rinse with the hose though. LOL.. simple pleasures. But I didnt suds her up. Just a rinse.

Old Today, 05:51 AM

18,162 posts, read 22,052,083 times
No ferrets on the list??????????????????????????????

Old Today, 02:50 PM

643 posts, read 223,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I think mankind's long relationship with dogs as co-workers and companions makes them the world's favorite. I love dogs and also have a strong affinity for horses and monkeys.
Dogs as companions is still very much just a Western thing. China for example has a billion more people than the U.S. yet something like less than half as many dogs as we do.

Old Today, 05:02 PM

3,149 posts, read 679,040 times
Saw a video of a Fennec Fox today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNPLg9QQerg
Just... wow.

Old Today, 07:15 PM

7,898 posts, read 4,568,913 times
^^^So now we know Baby Yoda's species!

Old Today, 10:40 PM

8,241 posts, read 7,148,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post

Saw a video of a Fennec Fox today:

Just... wow.

Sweet! Wag, wag, wag that tail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or