Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:48 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Had one on Cape Cod for a while. Around twenty-five or so years ago. The story:

I served as chief of police for a town on the outer Cape (the arm of the Cape that ends in Provincetown). I was told by three of my town's citizens that they had seen a mountain lion. With the exception of the last person reporting the sightings (which I will explain in a moment) the first two people started with; "Chief, you're not gonna believe this!"

First person-CPA, woman, known her for several years. While driving along Cape Cod bay, in the National Seashore the cat ran across the road she was driving on.

Second person-Town gas inspector. Also my plumber. Saw the big cat twice. Once for a short period of time, once for around fifteen minutes. The man was out hunting (in the same general area as the woman who first reported the cat) and saw, through binoculars, the animal in a tree, relaxing, with a deer kill at the base of the tree.

Third person (and the one I'm least likely to believe...)-My wife. A member of the town's Fire Dept, which was also the town's rescue squad. She went on an ambulance call in the early morning hours. When she came back home she woke me up to tell me she saw a mountain lion drinking from a bird bath on the road leading to our home.

I contacted the Natural History Museum on the Cape. Nobody cared. Go figure.

Rich
same here, I've done a lot of research online and there are so many sightings up in PA it is incredible...there are a few photos that people caught of the black panthers as well....

and yet, no one seems to care? Also, I'd be afraid if it got out and was reported on the news...a lot of people would hunt them. They are illusive... but there have been way to many sightings not to be true....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 11:23 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
The first sighting reported was over 140 years ago, don't you think he/she is dead by now.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:32 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A good scientist always keeps an open mind, yet is always skeptical in outlook.

A problem the "crypto-zoology" students have is that there's been so much fraud & false info spread thru the yrs over this phenomenon that it's difficult to take any new observations seriously.

The plausibility of the existence of such a creature is also low, given the population math: very likely that any larger animal (ie- lower birthrate) will go extinct in just a few generations if the breeding population is lower than about 500 individuals. Given the low incidence of "observations," one must think the population doesn't meet this minimum sustainable number.

There are several threads about this going over on the "Unexplainable..." board.
This thread is now closed. If you wish to continue the discussion, please do so in an existing thread in the Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal forum. Thank you.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:54 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Halbach View Post
Ok, I have a confession. I have seen it. Wife and I went to grocery store two days ago to attempt to refill the pantry. Sadly, no real luck due to Covid19. However, driving home on our very rural county road.....I saw a large animal standing in the road. Not wanting to damage my vehicle by colliding with the creature, I pulled to the side of the road. Just at that moment, my wife reminded me she was very hungry and that we're empty handed from our grocery run. I did the only thing a good husband could do.....I pulled my trusty Browning 30.06 from its case and put 5 rounds into the beast.

Imagine my surprise when I began to investigate the kill. It was Bigfoot. All 8 feet of him. Big, hairy, ugly and stinky. Faced now with a hard choice.....show the world my incredible find or feed my starving wife and family.....I had to choose my kin. So, the world will still not have the proof it wants on this cryptid but, rest assured we are eating well. Tastes a little like opossum.

-G
Be careful what you say as the guy who climed to shoot and bury a bigfoot and went public about it has had death threats. We also do not know what the legal position for killing one is. That has not been tested in the courts yet.

OK, sorry, did not see the mods previous post. However, I think the death threat should be pointed out to folks.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:22 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Native Americans say bigfoot is a spirit animal. I'm not sure what a "spirit animal" is, but chances are people who have lived in the wild for hundreds of years know what they're talking about.
Native American peoples remember what we've been taught to forget.

( apologies if this thread's been closed )

Old 04-14-2020, 01:08 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Be careful what you say as the guy who climed to shoot and bury a bigfoot and went public about it has had death threats. We also do not know what the legal position for killing one is. That has not been tested in the courts yet.

Yes we do know and no it does not have to be tested, there are simply no laws against killing a "Sasquatch."

Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,871,726 times
I would just be careful and not kill anything as you could be mistaken, in case it is actually just a person playing fancy dress. I've seen two people both getting in one ultra large costume as a joke and you don't want to mistakenly kill two people.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:09 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Yes we do know and no it does not have to be tested, there are simply no laws against killing a "Sasquatch."
But there are laws about hunting out of season or on public roads, not so?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:29 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But there are laws about hunting out of season or on public roads, not so?

There is no sasquatch season, so you can't kill one out of season. Killing them is not regulated.

You can break the law by firing a weapon from a moving vehicle or some roads, and a million other ways, but that has nothing to do with squatch.

This is just silly.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:00 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
Sasquatch sightings? I thought I saw one last night....on the nightly coronavirus update.....it had orange , not brown hair !

Regards
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature