U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 09:02 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,231,079 times

Advertisements

New Mexico, its not a contest to me. I just enjoy its open and vast spaces that feel like another planet to most of America. I have never seen better horizons than NM.

I live in WA state, on the Western Side. Some say the trees and all the green are grand but to me it makes me feel confined and there is a big price to pay for the green as its cold and wet half the year here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 09:05 AM

7,497 posts, read 4,273,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Same here, I've been to 49 states. The missing piece is Hawaii. It's on my list.
All states have some beautiful element to them; even the plain-Jane states like Iowa (beautiful rolling hills) and North Dakota (wide open spaces/ plains as far as the eye can see).
I feel that way about the rolling landscapes of south eastern Montana. For some reason it it's breath-taking to me.

I'm from MN and we have a number of ecological systems from the Sawtooth Mountains in the northeast, pine and deciduous forests, lakes and rivers, prairie, down to the southern flatlands, rich with agriculture. In our southeast corner is the driftless area which the glaciers missed leaving high bluffs and stony outcroppings.

It's green here. And there's water.

Even the southern border replete from end to end with cornfields in the summer has it's own beauty. And you can't beat the culture.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:17 AM

1,228 posts, read 290,988 times
Hawaii. The island of Kailua is absolutely breathtaking with vertical heights of 10,000 ft. right out of the ocean. And it rains more there than anywhere.

The coastline of California south of Monterrey is also no slouch. Neither is the view from the top of Heavenly Valley ski resort looking north at Lake Tahoe.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:39 AM

16,789 posts, read 10,068,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Tough question.
I've been to 49 states. Worked in a lot of them, just explored some, and lived in 6 or 8.
Most beautiful? ....... That's like asking me to judge a Miss America pageant. I love them all.

If I had to pick an area - the Southwest. New Mexico, Arizona to Nevada. There is something about the desert. And Grand Canyon. And Meteor Crater. But that Nevada desert.... my, my.
I was a trucker. And I could never understand why people were inside their houses in New Mexico. I wanted to bang on their doors and yell, "Look! Can you believe this? Why are you still inside?"
I traveled the US in my sales career. It ended before I was ready so I drove a truck 750,000 miles.
Yeah. It's beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Alaska. It is breathtaking.
That's the one state I missed.
The covid stuff torpedoed my trip for this summer, so I'll probably go in 2021.
The route I will take to get there will take me up through Canada to Dawson, Yukon Territory. I'll cross the Yukon River and enter Alaska there. If I have enough energy, I'll loop back around and come south on the Alaska Highway, through Bellingam, WA and return to Mississippi. Alternatively, I may drive North from Dawson to the arctic circle and return from there. So I may never see Alaska, but that's OK. I'll have a nice drone shot of me standing beside my old GMC truck at the arctic circle.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:43 AM

38,985 posts, read 34,916,532 times
Wyoming Tetons in the summer.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:46 AM

16,789 posts, read 10,068,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Can you be more specific in terms of the place/city? I love deception Pass and the San Juan Islands in Washington.
Been there!

We rented a boat once, out of Anacortes (a Grand Banks 36) and took it all over the islands for a week. Friday Harbor, Orca Island, spent a few days in Victoria, saw the whales, and saw giant whirlpools as the tide shifted through the Straight of Juan de Fuca.
Unforgettable! Your comment made us go grab our scrap book and remember......

Old 04-19-2020, 10:39 AM

9,559 posts, read 15,607,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Hawaii, hands down. Alaska, 2nd.

Responses are going to depend on whether one is a mountain person or a beach person.

There are lots of options as well if you are "both".....certainly Hawaii and California (or all 3 West Coast states). In the East, Maine and to a lesser extent NY and Massachusetts and North Carolina.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:47 AM

5,031 posts, read 4,891,212 times
Southern Utah (especially Bryce Canyon) is the most beautiful place I've seen in the entire world. The White Mountains of New Hampshire in the fall is my second favorite.

There are, of course, many other gorgeous places, but those two captured my heart.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:51 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,419,354 times
I've been to all 50 and Alaska by far is my favorite. But I'm prejudice because I do not like hot weather, at all !!!!

Old 04-19-2020, 10:56 AM

24,726 posts, read 18,337,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I've been to all 50 and Alaska by far is my favorite. But I'm prejudice because I do not like hot weather, at all !!!!
To be honest, that is one of the main reasons I love it so much. Not only is it beautiful, the weather makes it the best place in these United States, as far as I'm concerned. I LOVE gray, cloudy days. They make me very happy, and I get a lot of energy on days like that. The sun makes me want to hide indoors, and it zaps my energy. Plus, I don't find sweating or sweaty people to be appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or