Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,358,522 times

Advertisements

New Mexico

Under rated high mountains. high mountains not buried into two hours of mountain driving to get to.

Exotics ranches with high fences as the wild animals run across beautiful grass land with mountains as a back drop.

Angel Fire where more Elk run free and come to your house than deer. Beats too are plentiful......

Rio Grande River Gorge just West of Taos where the high desert and mountain terrain is interrupted by a deep gorge great to white water rafting, over 600 feet below the highway bridge that crosses it

Ghost Ranch where artist Georgia O'keeffe living and produced

St James Hotel cimmarron - original bar with 20 plus bullet holes in ceiling from NM mining wars

Driving US70 through white sands NM as long as its not blocked for a high tech military tool test

Tough snow skiing on deep powder at Taos Ski Valley

Hitting a golf ball 400 yards at 9000 feet above sea level'

Art mecca....

True....

Last edited by Johnhw2; 04-22-2020 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:25 PM

15,719 posts, read 6,426,157 times
It depends on what you like. Yes, Washington is beautiful, but so too is Oregon, Montana, Alaska, and California. Utah is quite stunning in its own way.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:22 PM

821 posts, read 460,182 times
I paid an extended visit to New Mexico courtesy of Uncle Sam. Definitely New Mexico for me. Climbing the western side of Lincoln National Forest and looking out over the Tularosa Basin is truly sublime.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:59 PM

18,191 posts, read 25,750,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
New Mexico

Under rated high mountains. high mountains not buried into two hours of mountain driving to get to.

Exotics ranches with high fences as the wild animals run across beautiful grass land with mountains as a back drop.

Angel Fire where more Elk run free and come to your house than deer. Beats too are plentiful......

Rio Grande River Gorge just West of Taos where the high desert and mountain terrain is interrupted by a deep gorge great to white water rafting, over 600 feet below the highway bridge that crosses it

Ghost Ranch where artist Georgia O'keeffe living and produced

St James Hotel cimmarron - original bar with 20 plus bullet holes in ceiling from NM mining wars

Driving US70 through white sands NM as long as its not blocked for a high tech military tool test

Tough snow skiing on deep powder at Taos Ski Valley

Hitting a golf ball 400 yards at 9000 feet above sea level'

Art mecca....

True....

Yes. On point commentary!

I don't know of any other state in the USA that has either a national park or a national monument in each corner of the state itself. New Mexico does--Aztec Ruins in the NW, Capulin Volcano in the NE, Gila Cliff Dwellings in the SW, and Carlsbad Caverns in the SE. You want remote? Check out the area east of I-25 from Socorro to Truth or Consequences, it's called Jornada Del Muerto, it's an accurate description. You want 1000 feet of unique or odd? Take state highway 529 east of Artesia and go past Loco Hills. From the ground rises a dozen, maybe dozen strange hills, maybe 75 to 80 feet high, that look like thumbs and they all point in different directions. Cool!

New Mexico is well represented regarding the old west. Check out the St. James Hotel in Cimmarron, lots of colorful people from the 1870's stayed there. You also have Billy The Kid's grave in Ft. Sumner. Plus all the places that John hw2 listed. And there's more, a lot more!

The state bird is the roadrunner and believe it or not I saw over a dozen of them having a gabfest at the rest area about 40 miles east of Roswell. When you stop at that area and use the facilities the rattlesnakes will let you know that they aren't that far away. Once I saw about 50 antelope all grouped together at that stop. And then there is Roswell, heh the UFO fun town (!?) Cool museum!

Also want to give a short mention of Tucumcari, go down the main drag of Tucumcari Blvd. (Route 66) Dig the Sombrero Restaurant with the huge Cement sombrero, must be 100 ft. long and 50 ft. wide. A lot of mom and pop motels had to close when Interstate 40 opened up, but there's still a lot going strong. They have a festival every June, "Route 66 Days." Two years ago they had Country legend Wanda Jackson do a one hour concert. A few years earlier actor Martin Milner showed up, his first claim to fame was on the classic TV show "Route 66." He also co-starred in "Adam 12." Signed autographs all day!

They call New Mexico the "Land Of Enchantment" because well, it is!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 04-25-2020 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 11:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,808,451 times
I’ve visited and seen many states over the years and found each of them having their own beauty, it’s just a matter of looking and appreciating what you see.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:18 PM

127 posts, read 82,713 times
Glacier national park , Montana.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:25 PM

26,649 posts, read 28,537,679 times
A long time ago on a car trip all across the country and back I decided it was Tennessee. Of all the places! I gave second place to a scene in Wyoming of a purple hill a dusk with a solitary horse standing in front of it. I wish I could remember the scene in Tennessee but I do know it included a lot of greenery.

I've never been to the PNW but that's probably very beautiful too.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,456,775 times
Utah. Unique.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,553,866 times
Not the most beautiful, but very under-rated -- if you're passing through, worth getting off the main roads and paying attention ----

Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, North Dakota.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:38 PM

128,671 posts, read 11,901,697 times
Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature