Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:49 PM

430 posts, read 290,340 times

Advertisements

Colorado without a doubt. The mountains, and the outdoor scenery is tremendous. Arizona is a close 2nd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 03:54 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Maine. lots of trees, water (lakes, rivers, ocean) just beauty every where.

not a desert fan.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:35 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
A photographer friend who I follow his adventures of driving 100k miles per year in North America. His favorite place he’s ever found (he’s been to every state and providence) is Newfoundland. Last summer he found a polar bear in the woods, the picture is awesome!

Old 04-20-2020, 09:10 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
I love mountains. The Ozark Mountains in Arkansas are beautiful year round but dazzle in the fall with their red, orange and gold trees. In the Summer they provide a beautiful green escape from the heat. Floating down the Buffalo National River is a real visual treat.

The Blue Ridge Mountains in southwest Virginia are similar but rockier. Lots of natural beauty there.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:55 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I like flat land. I don’t mind mountains if they’re from a distance, seeing them off on the horizon. I just don’t like being in the middle of them, I feel claustrophobic. So the places I find beautiful are flat and open areas. I love the US east coast, from Maryland to Florida. Something about it is soothing for me. Texas was very nice. New Mexico, and Arizona were breathtakingly gorgeous. Surprisingly, I found the Grand Canyon underwhelming. But I was 17 at the time, I’d like to go back and see it with adult eyes.

My dream is Hawaii, I hope when I finally go it’s not disappointing. It’s got a lot to live up to.
Hawaii is not flat. BUT you can get enough space around to not feel closed in by them, because Mother Pacifica is all around. It’s on my Most Beautiful States list for sure. There is even a kind of desert environment there, at least on the Big Island and on Molokai (just parts of them).

Last edited by pikabike; 04-20-2020 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-20-2020, 10:00 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Alaska has a majesty & expanse that is hard to beat. But I also love my home state of California.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Tough question.
I've been to 49 states. Worked in a lot of them, just explored some, and lived in 6 or 8.
Most beautiful? ....... That's like asking me to judge a Miss America pageant. I love them all.

If I had to pick an area - the Southwest. New Mexico, Arizona to Nevada. There is something about the desert. And Grand Canyon. And Meteor Crater. But that Nevada desert.... my, my.
I was a trucker. And I could never understand why people were inside their houses in New Mexico. I wanted to bang on their doors and yell, "Look! Can you believe this? Why are you still inside?"
I traveled the US in my sales career. It ended before I was ready so I drove a truck 750,000 miles.
Yeah. It's beautiful.

I've not been in as many states as you, but I feel the same way. It's hard to say what's the MOST beautiful.

I've been to San Diego, and it's beautiful there. Lots of beaches and breath-taking views. I loved it.

I've been to Louisiana. I love that watery swampy state. I fantasize often, about living in the swamp.

I've visited Tennessee. It's a beautiful state. I could be happy there.

I've visited Arkansas. Incredible Ozark Mountain views.

I used to live in Florida. I miss the laid-back vibe. I miss the ocean. I miss Indian River, and fishing and crabbing. I miss the smell of orange blossoms.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:51 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
New Mexico, its not a contest to me. I just enjoy its open and vast spaces that feel like another planet to most of America. I have never seen better horizons than NM.

I live in WA state, on the Western Side. Some say the trees and all the green are grand but to me it makes me feel confined and there is a big price to pay for the green as its cold and wet half the year here.
Western Washington definitely can have a claustrophobic feel to anyone who likes wide open spaces. The trees are tall and most don't lose their leaves (they block the sun in areas with a lot of trees), low gray clouds and mountains on the horizon. Granted, summers and clear days are beautiful, but it can have a confining feel.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:02 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Shame I can’t claim it as a visit.
I lived there, in No. CA, for 36 years--I miss its natural beauty all the time...hiking among the Sequoias and Redwoods and Douglas Firs, and skiing in the mountains with Lake Tahoe lying like a turquoise mirror nestled between the snow-capped Sierra mountains...a beauty beyond compare.

Especially miss riding the chair lifts early mornings with fresh snow and the sun glinting off the snow crystals turning them into diamonds and the air filled with the fresh scent of cool pines wearing little whipped-cream caps of fluffy snow...

Alas, with retirement, we could not longer afford the rising costs of the Bay area and we moved to a lower-cost state...which has a more gentle beauty of its own...

So glad we made forever memories and experienced so much of California's natural beauty while we lived there....

Old 04-20-2020, 03:04 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
In 1861 Mark Twain said of Lake Tahoe on the California Nevada border "As it lay there with the shadows of the mountains brilliantly photographed upon its still surface, I thought it must surely be the fairest picture the whole earth affords."
I have to agree. Having traveled in Mexico, Canada and most of the continental United States, Lake Tahoe is the prettiest site I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature