Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 03:39 PM

50 posts, read 54,592 times

Advertisements

Which state has the most overall natural beauty? I feel like Washington state but would like to here other opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 03:43 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,763,892 times
Hawaii, hands down. Alaska, 2nd.

Responses are going to depend on whether one is a mountain person or a beach person.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:49 PM

25,355 posts, read 17,004,259 times
Tough question.
I've been to 49 states. Worked in a lot of them, just explored some, and lived in 6 or 8.
Most beautiful? ....... That's like asking me to judge a Miss America pageant. I love them all.

If I had to pick an area - the Southwest. New Mexico, Arizona to Nevada. There is something about the desert. And Grand Canyon. And Meteor Crater. But that Nevada desert.... my, my.
I was a trucker. And I could never understand why people were inside their houses in New Mexico. I wanted to bang on their doors and yell, "Look! Can you believe this? Why are you still inside?"
I traveled the US in my sales career. It ended before I was ready so I drove a truck 750,000 miles.
Yeah. It's beautiful.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:18 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,343,461 times
Having grown up in California, summers were always a period of brown and more brown.

My first and only visit to Vermont was in mid-summer, and all of that summer green bedazzled me.

I have probably visited more beautiful states, but none surprised me in the way Vermont did.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 4,588,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Tough question.
I've been to 49 states. Worked in a lot of them, just explored some, and lived in 6 or 8.
Most beautiful? ....... That's like asking me to judge a Miss America pageant. I love them all.

If I had to pick an area - the Southwest. New Mexico, Arizona to Nevada. There is something about the desert. And Grand Canyon. And Meteor Crater. But that Nevada desert.... my, my.
I was a trucker. And I could never understand why people were inside their houses in New Mexico. I wanted to bang on their doors and yell, "Look! Can you believe this? Why are you still inside?"
I traveled the US in my sales career. It ended before I was ready so I drove a truck 750,000 miles.
Yeah. It's beautiful.
You more or less said what I was going to! I adore the desert Southwest. One sunset at a truck stop near Mesquite, NV actually brought tears to my eyes. I saw another sunset in Arizona which basically looked like it’s flag. I loved the red rocks of NM and St. George, UT, and the plunge down the canyon from St. George into NV. Staying in Primm and seeing the Ivanpah solar station was quite a thing too.

Consolation prizes go out to some other places though. West Virginia surprised me a LOT when I rode through some years ago for the first time. It’s really a hidden gem.

Florida has grown on me. I like the palms, yes, but it’s so neat to see the Everglades, tropical hardwood hammocks, and neat stuff I can’t grow even in Texas. I quite like it.

California...yeah, I can’t. I grew up there, so doesn’t qualify as a visit

Old 04-18-2020, 05:29 PM

1,361 posts, read 545,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Which state has the most overall natural beauty? I feel like Washington state but would like to here other opinions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Hawaii, hands down. Alaska, 2nd.

Responses are going to depend on whether one is a mountain person or a beach person.
I've been to all 3... lived on Oahu from 1990-1992. Took a cruise to Alaska in 2017... and have lived in Washington state since 2011.

Definitely agree about the mountain person or beach person. For beaches... Hawaii hands down. That's probably the one thing that is bad about Washington state strictly from a swimming perspective. Water is just too cold.

Mountains? Hawaii isn't nearly as impressive as Alaska and Washington. Alaska has Denali... Washington has Rainier, St. Helens, Baker... etc... the Cascade Ring of Fire is beautiful. Seeing Rainier and then seeing St. Helens gives you a great before/after perspective on the power of these volcanoes. Hawaii has them too obviously but from a scenic standpoint they don't compare.

I spent a number of years on the east coast and those hills they call mountains there don't really compare to what's out west.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:59 PM

30,148 posts, read 23,535,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Alaska. It is breathtaking.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 8,342,078 times
Maine.

Stunning national parks. Beautiful seaside towns.

Did a bike tour. Loved the late summer sunsets...cordialness of the town's folks.

I tend to avoid tourist traps....so anything with beautiful landscapes....long roads with near'y a person.
Even toured some old lighthouses...the history fascinating.

Hope to visit Montana and Wyoming.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:02 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,932,306 times
I think Michigan is underrated by a lot of people. It has many kinds of beaches (not just sand), beautiful dunes, marshes, stunning paperbark birch forest, dramatic fall foliage and amazing winter vistas.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:37 PM

50 posts, read 54,592 times
Can you be more specific in terms of the place/city? I love deception Pass and the San Juan Islands in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature