U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 12:41 PM

57,907 posts, read 4,280,768 times

Advertisements

Get a lock for the gate, that will at least stop the kid from trampling your plants. And be careful with the dog, if the kid provokes the dog, & gets bitten, you & the dog would be in a world of trouble even if you did nothing wrong. I think that is what would worry me the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 3,342,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post

What would u do to deal with the noise and the kid?
I can only give you my sympathy. We dealt with something very similar for a couple of years. I wished on every found penny, falling star, birthday candles, etc for them to move. Finally--they moved.

Besides all the noise, parties--he had a big screen TV outside--he was probably bi polar. Since I knew he went hunting, he had firearms. Annoying--he also had power tools and would use them at 2am outside on his deck. Annoying...annoying.

Sorry you have to deal with it. Hope they move soon.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:43 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,830,732 times
Noisy neighbors are just the worst. I would seriously consider moving. I know it sounds drastic but inconsiderate people can’t be reasoned with because, well, they are inconsiderate.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 AM

923 posts, read 3,020,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I can only give you my sympathy. We dealt with something very similar for a couple of years. I wished on every found penny, falling star, birthday candles, etc for them to move. Finally--they moved.

Besides all the noise, parties--he had a big screen TV outside--he was probably bi polar. Since I knew he went hunting, he had firearms. Annoying--he also had power tools and would use them at 2am outside on his deck. Annoying...annoying.

Sorry you have to deal with it. Hope they move soon.
Thanks for the perspective. I could have it so much worse!!

Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 PM

12,713 posts, read 4,046,842 times
Steal their basketball?

Old 05-22-2020, 08:18 AM

5,774 posts, read 2,545,087 times
I would definitely lock the gate for the back. I am starting a search for a house now and the basketball hoop is definitely something I am looking for. As I walk around my neighborhood now and see everyone out playing at all times of day (I work from home and usually take a lunchtime walk), I know it would annoy me to no end to be working and hearing the thump thump thump, bang of the basketball for hours on end. I am looking primarily at homes that have detached garages, which seems to help the problem a bit, as there isn’t really a spot for the hoop when people have to go up into the yard to park.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:37 AM

2,325 posts, read 1,141,763 times
My city actually has a set time for some activities, playing basketball is one because of the noise. Check with your city ordinance.

Keep fence locked. To keep them from climbing over your wood fence get some metal bird spikes, see link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Bird-X-Stainl.../dp/B000Z5E4IE

Next time a ball comes over a well placed small home or two in ball so it won't hold air. You can blame it on the dog. Maybe they will be more careful.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM
Status: "wake me up when the mob family is gone!" (set 9 hours ago)

2,317 posts, read 2,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Bummer. It's a tough row to hoe. Being personally pro-active will only label you as a crotchety old lady and incur further wrath and repercussions.

Two suggestions: contact your local Mafia. Let them handle it....although that may lead to continued expenses what with the weekly protection money and you may be forced to sell only their beer in your speak-easy, or...

...You could go to your local biker bar and put up a poster "Biker Party at (their address) on Saturday! Free Beer & Pizza!....When 200 bikers show up and get disappointed that there's no party, well, let's just say it'll get ugly, but your problem will be solved....and maybe you can expand your garden into the new empty lot.

Then there's the old hat-pin-into-the-basketball trick. Repeat as necessary. Just don't get caught. (If you do get caught, ask for vertical stripes on the jump-suit-- they're slenderizing.)
LOL ! great sense of humor.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:40 PM
miu

17,506 posts, read 35,909,670 times
Put up a higher back fence, add wire mesh to the top of it to make it harder for a basketball to get into your yard, and put a lock on the gate.

Also buy a pair of noise canceling headphones.

Good fences make good neighbors.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:54 PM

14,963 posts, read 6,141,329 times
I always feel so sad for people who are bothered by noises, or other stimulus. My husband is SO bothered by sounds, smells, and sights that intrude on his consciousness. I often don't even hear the barking neighbor dog, don't smell the flowering bush or Yankee Candle that he thinks stinks, etc.

It must be very difficult - and I'm being sincere - to be bothered by a basketball game at a neighbor's house. After about 2 days my brain would tune that out as extraneous information, and I would no longer be aware of the bouncing.

I don't know what else to offer except miu's suggestion of headphones might be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or