U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 11:26 AM

923 posts, read 3,018,735 times

Advertisements

Long story, so if ya got some time, I'm looking for input.

Trying to enjoy my backyard, which I put a lot of work into, gets harder due to neighbors. I've got beautiful evergreens-- that I planted-- for privacy, but it's not helping against noise. The house behind me is a rental. There's a woman and a10 yr. Old boy living in the basement of that property.

The mom lets the boy play basketball with 3 men that rent the house next to that house. They have a hoop in their backyard.

The kid uses the hoop as early as 7am on a Sunday morning and till 10pm at nighttime when he plays with the men. I have no issue with daytime basketball noise, it's only at night, when it's dark and I'm unwinding that the constant, thump, thump, thump is pretty maddening. Nothing really drowns that noise out.

The kid has come in my fenced yard to get his ball at several times, without permission, and leaving my gate open. He walked through anewly planted vegetable garden, too. We have a dog, so she would either bite him possibly (stranger entering our property has set our dog off before) or the concern is she'd run out and we might not know it.) Ive caught the kid climbing on our wooden fence and told him to stay off of it.

I thought I was being creative when I offered the kid a cool toy to play with. This one time I talked to mom, she said they're from Romania. I told the boy and mom he could use its long as he likes, just return it to driveway when he's done--i highlighted don't go in my yard.

The next day, the toy was in my driveway. I put it inside my gate and left. Came home to do some gardening and the toy was gone. One day the kid and some woman was kicking a soccer ball on the sidewalk in front of my house. Very weird as they have a sidewalk and the basketball house has a big backyard.

The basketball house used to be a kegger party house, and with the ongoing change of tenants, they've quieted down, but still manage to yell and make obnoxious noises that seem totally unnecessary considering how close the houses are.

Years ago, I did talk to the party house about the noise, but I don't believe that's a good idea now. I think it sets me up as a target as well as you can't convince inconsiderate people to change.

I use a white noise machine and a fan, but it doesn't block out one guys yellling or the thumping noise from the ball.

I've got 3 boys myself, so I know boys. My boys are all teens now. I'm bothered by the noise and the carelessness of my neighbors coming into my property. Police will only talk to noise violators-- they don't write tickets. I haven't called since the kegger parties years ago.

What would u do to deal with the noise and the kid? I don't have proof he stole the toy I let him borrow, but odds are he took it. Its a pretty big toy, so I don't know how he'd conceal it from mom, so maybe she knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,749,468 times
Forget about the toy. You asked for it to go missing and it could have been anyone who took it so don't go accusing the boy. That loss is on you. You thought you were being clever by loaning it to the child the first time and your ruse back fired on you when you left it sitting out in your yard and now it's gone. Accept the fact that if you tempt fate and loan toys to other people's children or leave them sitting outside in your yard when you aren't home you are practically guaranteed that they will either be destroyed or they will disappear.

With regard to the noise I'd suggest you ask the mom if she would curtail the very early and very late hours her boy is playing with the ball and explain to her that the sound is interfering with your sleep patterns and is making you feel sick and anxious. And tell her (don't ask) that she needs to tell her boy to not come onto your property again since he has already damaged some of your property.

Keep in mind that when children are no longer having to stick with social distancing and staying home and away from school or out playing with their school friends because of the virus pandemic then your neighbour's boy won't be so bored and at a loss with what to do with himself except bounce a ball.

There's not much you can do about noise during the normal daylight hours though, unless you're prepared to pick up sticks and move to a quieter "senior" location where there are no children and no party houses. Humans are noisy people and getting louder with each passing year.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:10 AM

42,179 posts, read 60,990,009 times
Are you friendly with the neighbors or the owner of the house?
They might have no idea how noisy that is and disturbing others. A friendly discussion might be in order. A curfew is a good idea. Another way to approach it might be to ask for one day off. Anything could work as long as you show them you're being reasonable and not asking them to stop altogether. Be nice, bring some beer and try to reach a compromise.

Who installed that hoop?
Could you make a suggestion?
Dampening Sound of Basketball Backboard
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=149393
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2163

all those seem to be very inexpensive solutions.

If they don't agree... see below:

Basketball hooks are very inexpensive. You could buy one, soundproof it and ask them nicely to replace it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bask...iw=988&bih=570

The activity could drop by half before the summer is out and drop out by 90% by next year. They will not play much when it's really hot. Try to live with it and see how it goes.

BTW: close the fence gate and put on a sign:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lynch-Si...-231/302794469

https://www.google.com/search?q=bewa...ih=570&biw=988
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance
Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 05-07-2020 at 02:30 AM..

Old 05-07-2020, 05:25 AM

7,404 posts, read 9,263,290 times
I understand your concern. For some of us it’s not trivial. The repetitive sound of a bouncing basketball sets my nerves on edge. When looking at sale houses I always rule out any with neighbors having a hoop by the side of the driveway.

Wish there was a solution but can’t think of one.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:34 AM

3,993 posts, read 1,561,012 times
Bummer. It's a tough row to hoe. Being personally pro-active will only label you as a crotchety old lady and incur further wrath and repercussions.

Two suggestions: contact your local Mafia. Let them handle it....although that may lead to continued expenses what with the weekly protection money and you may be forced to sell only their beer in your speak-easy, or...

...You could go to your local biker bar and put up a poster "Biker Party at (their address) on Saturday! Free Beer & Pizza!....When 200 bikers show up and get disappointed that there's no party, well, let's just say it'll get ugly, but your problem will be solved....and maybe you can expand your garden into the new empty lot.

Then there's the old hat-pin-into-the-basketball trick. Repeat as necessary. Just don't get caught. (If you do get caught, ask for vertical stripes on the jump-suit-- they're slenderizing.)

Old 05-07-2020, 05:43 AM

2,938 posts, read 2,217,687 times
There's a reason they call it a neighbor hood

Old 05-12-2020, 06:33 AM

Default appreciate the feedback

I mentioned in my post that I have talked to the house about their keggers. They just really didn't care. Young guys, arrested development, I think. I'm reluctant to talk to them more about the noise so they don't use the basketball against me, kwim?

The bothersome noise if from the pounding the ball on the blacktop driveway. It's the constant thump of dribbling. I think they make a lot of shots so the backboard noise isn't really an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are you friendly with the neighbors or the owner of the house?
They might have no idea how noisy that is and disturbing others. A friendly discussion might be in order. A curfew is a good idea. Another way to approach it might be to ask for one day off. Anything could work as long as you show them you're being reasonable and not asking them to stop altogether. Be nice, bring some beer and try to reach a compromise.

Who installed that hoop?
Could you make a suggestion?
Dampening Sound of Basketball Backboard
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=149393
Acoustics Forum • View topic - Sound-dampening Basketball Backboard

all those seem to be very inexpensive solutions.

If they don't agree... see below:

Basketball hooks are very inexpensive. You could buy one, soundproof it and ask them nicely to replace it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bask...iw=988&bih=570

The activity could drop by half before the summer is out and drop out by 90% by next year. They will not play much when it's really hot. Try to live with it and see how it goes.

BTW: close the fence gate and put on a sign:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lynch-Si...-231/302794469

https://www.google.com/search?q=bewa...ih=570&biw=988

Old 05-12-2020, 06:35 AM

Default great point

Knowing what I know now, I will certainly look for hoops, or even space for hoops if the houses are close together. While I'm at it I'll look for trees built too close to a house because I learned that roots can grow into pipes and cause terrible costs and damage. I appreciate your input and commiseration

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I understand your concern. For some of us it’s not trivial. The repetitive sound of a bouncing basketball sets my nerves on edge. When looking at sale houses I always rule out any with neighbors having a hoop by the side of the driveway.

Wish there was a solution but can’t think of one.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:53 AM

65 posts, read 17,796 times
You might check your city code. The city I live in specifies permissible decibel levels between 0700 to 1900 and 1900 to 0700. It also is very specific how these levels are to be measured. If your city has such a code, and your neighbors are in violation, then the police could write up a violation. If your police have a policy of not writing tickets for violations, then you need to speak to your mayor and/or city councilperson to get them to change (i.e., comply). In my city, noise violations are a minimum $75 fine to a maximum of $500 fine. This would all be a long shot.

Or, in keeping with guido, call ICE and ask them to check their visa status since they are from Romania.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:33 PM

15,423 posts, read 936,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbiqua View Post
You might check your city code. The city I live in specifies permissible decibel levels between 0700 to 1900 and 1900 to 0700. It also is very specific how these levels are to be measured. If your city has such a code, and your neighbors are in violation, then the police could write up a violation. If your police have a policy of not writing tickets for violations, then you need to speak to your mayor and/or city councilperson to get them to change (i.e., comply). In my city, noise violations are a minimum $75 fine to a maximum of $500 fine. This would all be a long shot.

Or, in keeping with guido, call ICE and ask them to check their visa status since they are from Romania.

Good point - always call ICE to make sure your neighbors are illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or