Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 06:37 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile I live in Cape Coral, FL where most trees were cut down to build this community which has a lot of canals and small lakes. I have one large bush and one live oak at the side of my property that does nothing to shade my sunny all day back yard. I want to plant some shade trees and even though it is pretty expensive, I am hoping to get at least one this year.

"I think that I shall never see,
a poem as lovely as a tree...…."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 09:04 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Meanwhile I live in Cape Coral, FL where most trees were cut down to build this community which has a lot of canals and small lakes. I have one large bush and one live oak at the side of my property that does nothing to shade my sunny all day back yard. I want to plant some shade trees and even though it is pretty expensive, I am hoping to get at least one this year.

"I think that I shall never see,
a poem as lovely as a tree...…."
Or this ...
"He who plants a tree
Plants hope ..." and more words of wisdom about a tree from Lucy Larcom's Plant A Tree

Old 05-10-2020, 09:32 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
I don't see it as any different from people who spray weedkiller on their lawns and sidewalks, dump pounds of fertilizer on their lawns, trim branches at the first hint of any insects or disease. One of my rural neighbors cut down all of his beautiful aspen trees that I would have loved to have simply because they were reaching maturity and might start to decline. In fact, they probably would have outlived him. Its all part of the same suburban yard care mindset.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:45 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I don't see it as any different from people who spray weedkiller on their lawns and sidewalks, dump pounds of fertilizer on their lawns, trim branches at the first hint of any insects or disease. One of my rural neighbors cut down all of his beautiful aspen trees that I would have loved to have simply because they were reaching maturity and might start to decline. In fact, they probably would have outlived him. Its all part of the same suburban yard care mindset.
Yes, I'm seeing a correlation. Hadn't put two and two together.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:20 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,340 times
People I know who moved into neighborhoods you described cut down theIr trees in order to build a much larger sq. house after knocking down the original house.

The removed trees simply interfered with the placement of the new, much larger house. In some cases, they are required to replant trees to maintain the leafy nature and property values of the neighborhood.

But of course, these newly planted trees will take quite some time to mature to the state of the oftentimes majestic trees which were cut, leaving the neighborhood poorer for it in every way.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Most like to revise mother nature's landscaping.

Seen roots of trees cause havoc on sewer lines and Wells, sidewalks, foundations.
Seen the damage trees did after a hurricane.

I personally enhance nature ...rarely do I take away the beauty of some of its oddly placed bushes/trees/plants.

I'm sure there are valid reasons for a tree to be removed...even in an older area.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:42 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Are they over 65? Elderly people hate trees.
What on earth?!! This is one of the silliest posts I have ever seen on C-D.

OP, I bought my house FOR the lot and the trees -- I have basically a mini-forest at the back of my back yard. It's beautiful and peaceful and I still love it, 8 years after moving here. My neighbors seem to feel the same way about THEIR trees.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:06 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Are they over 65? Elderly people hate trees.
What?

Guess I'd better get to work on that tree hate. I'm way behind.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:21 PM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Yep.
Suburban yard care is basically massive chemical dumping to sterilize landscapes and kill all insect life. All those weed killers don’t just kill weeds,, they also are toxic to trees and shrubs. it’s no accident that the newly planted trees in such landscapes ( to replace the old mature ones cut for development) are stunted, don’t get strong anchor roots and fail to grow to their potential. The worst kind is the “Weed & Feed“ kind that are dumped every spring in lawns and end up killing tree roots severely.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:31 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
We bought a house with a huge stone pine tree and three redwoods...in a tiny 12' x 20' yard.
The redwoods were threatening the neighbor's retaining wall, so we had to remove them. The pine was overgrown, so we had it pruned, and it looked great.
But after a few years, it dropped a branch on the house. No damage, we had it pruned again. Then it dropped a branch in the driveway. Fortunately, we were at work, so the car wasn't crushed.
We had the pine removed, and planted fruit trees.

Big trees are great for big properties, but can be a real problem on a small lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature