U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 08:04 PM

5,998 posts, read 9,892,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
The responses in this thread have really helped me understand the common mentality about trees. It's evident that it's not uncommon for developers to clear cut longggg before a backhoe goes into the ground and for new owners to chop everything down, both creating the Land of the Lorax. But what I also read is that there are many who compromise because they do see value of trees despite the cons.

I did learn from the neighbor across the street who took down a tree (which prompted this thread in the first place) that the "experts" who had declared it was diseased had encouraged them to take down the last remaining tree in their front yard. They said no. And although they didn't say so, I think they now regret having the tree removed ... when it was sitting in chunks at the curb, there was no evidence seen by us amateurs of any disease or decay, just beautiful oak wood through and through.

There are good reasons for taking down trees such as ones precariously leaning and threatening a roof or other trees, or when roots of a tree close to a house are beginning to damage the house foundation. But I think most of us agree that taking down trees because they are simply behaving like trees which makes work for us to clean up their leaves is unacceptable.

It's really all about perspective. We recently bought a house with a pretty view of a marsh. For some reason (and I say yay!) the owner who had built the house had left three tall slash pines and two palm trees where the lawn ends and the marsh begins. Most who come to see our new house, or neighbors who stop by to say hello, express the opinion we should take down the trees because they block the view. My opinion - the trees enhance the view! As well, these people haven't seen the bald eagles who rest in the top of the pines. For that alone no chainsaw will ever touch those trees, and although a royal pain, I will keep picking up the tons of pine needles and pinecones these trees drop. It's all about perspective.

I can't rep you again, but I love this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 05:22 AM

4,434 posts, read 13,104,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I can't rep you again, but I love this thread!
Lol I may be back to add ... near the house to where we are soon moving there is a wooded lot being developed, about 3/4 acre. I will be so curious to see how much tree-taking will occur. Generally in the area, which is rural, lots are not clear-cut leaving trees along property lines. And then, after we sell our current home I will be interested to see what the new owners do with our trees and bushes.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:48 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,825,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I live in a suburban neighborhood, and bought here for a number of reasons, one being that the developer (in the 2000s) chose to leave many of the existing mature trees. That's one of the charms, that unlike most of the developments the acres were not completely clear-cut.

When people built or bought here they obviously knew the property came with trees. If someone doesn't like trees, then why buy a house with them? They do, and then proceed to either have some of them cut down or have the canopies raised. These are then the people whose roofs take a full brunt of hurricane winds and are damaged or top-heavy trees fall over. These are the people who have squirrels and raccoons nesting in soffits and attics. So, they then decide to take more trees down.

I just really don't understand it, how people cannot see the correlation between trees and undamaged homes. Trees that have stood for decades are the buffer for damaging winds and are designed to bend and sway protecting a home. Certainly an unhealthy tree is cause for concern, but a healthy tree is taken down for whatever reason is what I can't comprehend. Why don't people understand that if you take down the trees that are homes to squirrels they have no alternative but to seek shelter inside a house's roof?

I think I'm also confounded that these people do not realize and/or have no regard for how their trees affect the properties of neighbors. The argument "well, they are my trees and I can do what I want" just seems selfish. Neighbors on both sides of my property had extensive tree work done which has altered my property to a huge degree. Where there was shade there is none. Where sunlight was blocked from my patio it now sears the eyes. Where there was once a privacy buffer I can now watch many neighbors' TVs through their windows.

I guess this request for help to understand tree mentality, or maybe it's just venting, has been spurred by my neighbor across the street taking down a large majestic healthy oak tree in their front yard because it has a clump of mistletoe. If they have the money to spend to take down the tree, why not spend that money to just have the mistletoe removed? It is A clump, not an infestation.
I have been wondering about the same thing, we got new neighbors about five years ago and they have pretty much taken down every tree on their lot. We both live on acreage so it is not
like the trees were threatening either house. When they bought the house it had a beautifully landscaped yard and now its all weeds that he pours round up on , both our houses are on wells
He took down all the privacy trees and bushes between his lot and a private school and now complains that he can see their parking lot lights!! You cannot fix stupid, they could have bought any new house with barren yard but chose this instead.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:21 AM

4,434 posts, read 13,104,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I have been wondering about the same thing, we got new neighbors about five years ago and they have pretty much taken down every tree on their lot. We both live on acreage so it is not
like the trees were threatening either house. When they bought the house it had a beautifully landscaped yard and now its all weeds that he pours round up on , both our houses are on wells
He took down all the privacy trees and bushes between his lot and a private school and now complains that he can see their parking lot lights!! You cannot fix stupid, they could have bought any new house with barren yard but chose this instead.
Oh don't get me started on Round-Up and other herbicides and their over-use to achieve "perfect" landscapes.

If I was ever to go for my doctorate in behaviorial science I think my dissertation would defend my new theories about people and trees. Perhaps some people require orderly-ness and straight lines - trees are neither. Or maybe my research would lead to show that some people need to be able to see as far as they can upward and outward as a comfort thing, that maybe trees are like closed-in spaces that bother those with claustrophobia.

I know, I know ... I am over-thinking this! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature