Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 09:26 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times

Advertisements

Since I've been working from home, my 'office' is set up at the kitchen table. My chair faces the sliding glass door to the back yard. I've placed my suet feeder where I can plainly see it, and it gets a lot of action. Robins and sparrows visit it on the regular, and sometimes I see more unusual (to me) birds.

Today, I saw a red bellied woodpecker enjoying the suet.

I often see cardinals, robins, and sparrows. Sometimes I see mourning doves, ravens, and blue jays.

My lilac bush has a robin's nest in it. There's at least 2, but maybe 3 babies in it. I saw hungry little beaks wide open, waiting for food. They just hatched between Wednesday and Thursday.

I get bunnies on my patio all the time. Today, I saw a baby one. So cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 02:07 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
This will be my first spring in this house. So far looks as if my primary nesting birds will be corvids...magpies, gray and Steller jay, ravens. Bald eagles seem to have a nest site upslope of the house. They are sparring overhead and carrying sticks. Just started hearing golden-crowned and white crowned sparrow song this week. One raspy, out-of-practice varied thrush. Juncos around all year but not quite singing yet. Sandhill cranes showed up on the neighbor's lawn a couple of weeks ago and I hear bugling most mornings. According to the neighbors several pairs take control of yards and the dirt road every summer.

Snowshoe hares going crazy chasing each other across the grass. They say "mad as a March hare" but this is Alaska...we do things a little bit later up here. There are a couple of feral domestic bunnies too, but they don't seem to notice each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature