U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 09:49 AM

4,434 posts, read 13,104,467 times

Advertisements

Oh I was so wrong! Once I captured a still-shot of the insect this morning, it looks completely different from when it's hovering and flying. The visual is distorted because of the vast air movement its wings cause when hovering. To the eye it looks chubby and torpedo shaped with a round end, with solid and even black and yellow stripes around the abdomen. It is actually wasp/hornet shaped with a pointy end with a stinger, and the stripes are broken along the top of the abdomen. It isn't a distortion about its size though. Hard to see in perspective in the photo, but about 2" long. I WILL UPLOAD THE PHOTOS ... just need to figure out how (used to use photobucket, but not anymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 09:59 AM

861 posts, read 232,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Oh I was so wrong! Once I captured a still-shot of the insect this morning, it looks completely different from when it's hovering and flying. The visual is distorted because of the vast air movement its wings cause when hovering. To the eye it looks chubby and torpedo shaped with a round end, with solid and even black and yellow stripes around the abdomen. It is actually wasp/hornet shaped with a pointy end with a stinger, and the stripes are broken along the top of the abdomen. It isn't a distortion about its size though. Hard to see in perspective in the photo, but about 2" long. I WILL UPLOAD THE PHOTOS ... just need to figure out how (used to use photobucket, but not anymore).

I use postimages.org

Old 05-17-2020, 10:22 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,749,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
A year ago I was visited by something that certainly could have been a giant hornet. I was already aware of their existence, so I stood still until it lost interest and moved on.
It was big, noisy and fast as all get out. I breathed a little easier when it left. I knew better than to try to swat at it.

We call them drones.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:50 AM

2,252 posts, read 1,148,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
As of now. But what's to stop them?

The efforts of the Washington Department of Agriculture to eradicate them. That's the only thing stopping them. But even if they didn't stop them, they wouldn't appear in Florida for a long time.

But my point was, people in Florida and 48 other states have zero reason to suspect Asian Giant Hornets are in their state. They are ONLY found in Washington State at this time. The media sold a lot of news and panicked people all over the country unnecessarily. But it sells.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The efforts of the Washington Department of Agriculture to eradicate them. That's the only thing stopping them. But even if they didn't stop them, they wouldn't appear in Florida for a long time.

But my point was, people in Florida and 48 other states have zero reason to suspect Asian Giant Hornets are in their state. They are ONLY found in Washington State at this time. The media sold a lot of news and panicked people all over the country unnecessarily. But it sells.
In the USA they are only known to have arrived in Washington state at this time because that's the only place in USA where they've been seen..... so far ..... But it's not the only place in North America where they are known to be.

USA is only one country out of three in North America, and the Giant Asian Hornets have already been in southwest British Columbia in Canada for at least three years that we know of for sure. People there have been finding them, reporting them and killing them for three years. We even know where they came from and how they got to Canada. They came from Japan stowed away on a container freight ship.

Three years is more than enough time for populations of escapees to have become established and to start spreading outwards towards warmer territories to the south of the border. I have no doubts that the two giant hornets that were only just recently found in Washington are descended directly from the established population(s) that exists in your neighbouring country right next door across the border.

The fact that only two of the giant hornets have been discovered in Washington (one dead, one alive) doesn't necessarily mean scouting queens may not have already travelled elsewhere to other parts of Washington and to Oregon and Idaho, or who knows where else, to start colonies of their own. They've had more than plenty of time to do so.

But I do agree with you that there likely are not any Giant Asian Hornets that have arrived in Florida .... yet.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:12 PM

38,947 posts, read 34,885,696 times
Sounds like dragon flies.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:34 PM

2,252 posts, read 1,148,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
In the USA they are only known to have arrived in Washington state at this time because that's the only place in USA where they've been seen..... so far ..... But it's not the only place in North America where they are known to be.

USA is only one country out of three in North America, and the Giant Asian Hornets have already been in southwest British Columbia in Canada for at least three years that we know of for sure. People there have been finding them, reporting them and killing them for three years. We even know where they came from and how they got to Canada. They came from Japan stowed away on a container freight ship.

Three years is more than enough time for populations of escapees to have become established and to start spreading outwards towards warmer territories to the south of the border. I have no doubts that the two giant hornets that were only just recently found in Washington are descended directly from the established population(s) that exists in your neighbouring country right next door across the border.

The fact that only two of the giant hornets have been discovered in Washington (one dead, one alive) doesn't necessarily mean scouting queens may not have already travelled elsewhere to other parts of Washington and to Oregon and Idaho, or who knows where else, to start colonies of their own. They've had more than plenty of time to do so.

But I do agree with you that there likely are not any Giant Asian Hornets that have arrived in Florida .... yet.

All of the confirmed records across both countries are within 50 miles of each other, and the BC finds date back only to spring of 2019. I'm not aware of any dating back farther than that. If you know of confirmed reports showing otherwise please post it. By confirmed I mean accepted as probable by whichever ministry is in charge of such things in BC. Anecdotal reports won't suffice.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:00 PM

14,331 posts, read 13,895,434 times
A sphinx moth flies like a humming bird and drinks nectar. Were there flowers under the horse?

Old 05-17-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
All of the confirmed records across both countries are within 50 miles of each other, and the BC finds date back only to spring of 2019. I'm not aware of any dating back farther than that. If you know of confirmed reports showing otherwise please post it. By confirmed I mean accepted as probable by whichever ministry is in charge of such things in BC. Anecdotal reports won't suffice.

Won't suffice for who? You?

I'll see what I can do to find the initial reports about the first 2 captures in the spring and then again in the autumn of 2017, but if I can't find them I'm not going to knock myself out over it to try to prove anything to anyone. Makes no difference to me. I know how long ago it was they were first discovered here, that's sufficient enough for me.

What may seem merely anecdotal to you is known to be true by our B.C. bee keepers associations and those others of us who actually live here and have been keeping up with our local reports about these hornets. This is a big honey industry province and there are a lot of bee keepers here all over the whole province who are concerned, pro-active and have been staying vigilant since 2017.

The websites and newsletters from the bee keepers associations in both Canada and USA might be another source of news for you if it's really important to you to find out more. They're all co-operative and supportive and they report serious up-to-date facts to each other, not anecdotal sensationalism (and you certainly won't find them giving the giant hornets stupid, immature names like "Murder Hornets" ).

Old 05-18-2020, 05:56 AM

4,434 posts, read 13,104,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
A sphinx moth flies like a humming bird and drinks nectar. Were there flowers under the horse?
No, no flowers of any kind. These wasp/hornet-type things are interested in something under the horse's belly only. And interesting enough, only buzzing one of the two horses - yesterday, being more observant, I saw they were not anywhere near the other horse. She's a chestnut, he's a paint with a white belly and black head, neck, legs, and rump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature