Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 12:42 PM

55 posts, read 119,216 times

Advertisements

Hello. I rent a beautiful apartment but just this past week I seem to have a pest invasion of some sort. There are very very tiny bugs in clusters along windowsills in my livingroom. They seem to be increasing in numbers and are along the baseboards and edges of the walls, window latches, and white picture ledges. I find them crawling on my face and arms after standing in that general area, and they crawl across my cellphone! While waiting for an exterminator to show up on Monday afternoon, was wondering if anyone had any idea of what these pests could be? We may need to stay at a hotel until then! I have more pics if that would help. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Tiny bug clusters-411f7ac8-41a0-4a1e-ac98-03008182c2b3.jpeg   Tiny bug clusters-78430b5f-a3b1-41ae-a478-854555e09851.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 06:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Unfortunately those are small and fuzzy so not good pictures for ID but in looking at the first one with a magnifying glass held to the monitor trying to see how many legs they have, they appear to be newly hatched baby spiders. There's two or three there that are less fuzzy and look like they have 8 legs.

If you have a magnifying glass of some kind look at them through it and count the legs.

8 legs = baby spiders or else mites that are in the spider family. If they only have 6 legs then they're some kind of insect I don't recognize.

Whatever they are you should also check on any houseplants you might have indoors to see if you have ended up with any of those critters on the plants or in the soil. If there are any on your plants use a spray bottle and spray the plants with soapy water.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:07 AM

55 posts, read 119,216 times
Thanks for your response! Yes they are so tiny, even magnified and I didn’t notice them until they formed clusters. I had an exterminator over and we think they are bird mites, coming from a nest that the birds built in a dryer vent below my windows. There are you g in the nest so they can’t disturb it until they mature, but for now they treated that area of my apartment and may need to return to treat again. Ugh! Not a fun time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature