Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 01:57 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times

Advertisements

It's not uncommon to see bears in the more suburban parts of the city and really common to see them in the rural areas of the county. I live in the more 'burb part of the city but haven't seen one there. I have seen them on the ride home from work on a couple of rare occasions since I work in a rural area and the way to/from work is a 2-lane highway.

I didn't even know that this happened until one of my employees who moved here from New Mexico last year sent me a message saying 'ready to move back to NM anytime now!' because this was very close to where she lives.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/42...eU1tj3AUT1sLkE

Who else here has bears living nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 03:12 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It's not uncommon to see bears in the more suburban parts of the city and really common to see them in the rural areas of the county. I live in the more 'burb part of the city but haven't seen one there. I have seen them on the ride home from work on a couple of rare occasions since I work in a rural area and the way to/from work is a 2-lane highway.

I didn't even know that this happened until one of my employees who moved here from New Mexico last year sent me a message saying 'ready to move back to NM anytime now!' because this was very close to where she lives.

Every place I've lived over the past 30 years; black as well as grizzly/brown. Humans generate a lot of attractive nuisances. Garbage, bird feeders, gardens, aromatic, fruit or nut-bearing ornamental trees, trash left in public, petroleum-based products and chemicals we use outdoors are worth investigating. Even that blob of motor oil or antifreeze left in the driveway. Bears are opportunists and are more common than most people realize. Your paranoid employee might not like to hear there are bears in NM too!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-25-2020 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
I do, but I live in the woods so it's expected. I put a Fortex pan in the food plot and filled it with water for the deer two summers ago. It was very dry and I didn't want them coming closer to the house for the ducks' pool. There were photos of "big bear" eating grass, then stretched out for a nap, and then sitting down. Between nap and sitting the Fortex pan disappeared. Apparently the bear wanted it for himself. About three weeks ago my husband was shed hunting in the woods behind the house. He found the pan 50 yards into the woods. That's the biggest problem they've caused.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:21 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
I moved out of Chicago to WI to get away from Da Bears. They always stunk up the place...And their fans are even bigger nuisances.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:35 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I have read reports in my local "nextdoor" website of bears scavenging nearby, but have yet to see one.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:38 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:

Bears didn't move to the city, the city moved to bears.

Your friend seriously wants to move because a bear was in her city of, what, a hundred thousand residents more or less? This is like wanted to move because someone was hit by lightning in her city. Tell her to worry about traffic and crime, real threats, or, if animals, one of your neighbor's dogs....not bears...pfffft, these aren't grizzly or polar bears, the majority of black bears can be scared away easily.

Anyways just about everywhere I have lived had bear sightings. Black bears are like deer, raccoons, skunks...those animals that unfortunetly get used to living around humans (eating from trash, etc) - pest animals, large rats. Very unfortunate as these are noble and beautiful beasts and deserve a more natural existence.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:22 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
About 25 years ago our Game Commission captured a black bear about 15 miles south of our house. It was hanging around the Dunkin Donuts in Stroudsburg, PA. They transported it to a State Park about 35 miles north of our house. About a week later it was knocking over our $85 (squirrel proof) bird feeders to get at the black oily sunflower seeds.

At that time we had set up a driveway 'reporter' facing our bird feeders because we were capturing pictures of raccoons coming in at night. I got some really good closeup pictures of the bear eating the black oily sunflower seeds after it destroyed the bird feeder. I just stuck a Sony Cyber-shot out a window only five to ten feet away from the bear and shot away. The pictures were so good that I called up our Game Commission the next day and told them the ear tag numbers on the bear - I had enlarged the pictures on my computer to enable me to read the numbers. They informed me that a bear can smell a teaspoon of black oily sunflower seeds a mile away. They also told us that it was the same bear that they captured by the Dunkin Donuts a week before. I told them that I brought in the birdfeeders after the bear left and I felt safe to do so. It is illegal in our State to bait bears.

In the conversation with the Game Commission they also told me more about the ear tags. When a bear is first captured it is measured, its health is checked and it gets one ear tag. After a bear is reported as a nuisance and it is captured a second time; it gets the other ear tagged. There is not third ear tag. If the bear is reported a third time as a nuisance it is euthanized.

Of course not every state has the same policies. But keep in mind that if you think it is a wise idea to feed bears; you could be destroying that animal. Check your state laws and keep in mind that, even if your state allows feeding bears, you might set them up for a target in hunting season.

I do not know what happened to the bear outside our house all those years ago. If it was heading back to Dunkin Donuts I presume it was destroyed. Our house set right in a bee line from the State Park where they released the bear to the Dunkin Donuts were it was captured.

Last edited by fisheye; 06-05-2020 at 02:33 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 07:15 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
About 25 years ago our Game Commission captured a black bear about 15 miles south of our house. It was hanging around the Dunkin Donuts in Stroudsburg, PA. They transported it to a State Park about 35 miles north of our house.
We had something similar happen last year. A young sow became a "nuisance" by doing what bears do - getting into bird feeders, grills and the trash - in the spring of 2018. She was relocated by game wardens. In the fall of 2019 she was back and had triplets in tow. She was in estrus when she was moved. She either came back in 18, denned up and gave birth here, or she made the 100 mile trip with triplets. When I spoke with the warden he said it isn't uncommon for a bear to return to its home range. One bear made a 200 mile trip in less than a week. Incredible.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:38 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,198,344 times
me. I used to feed birds and every spring a bear would destroy the feeder. The most recent time I was going to put the feeder away on a Sunday; bear got to it on Friday.

One place I lived there was bear paw prints on my back door. and came across a few while walking through the woods.

These were all black bears; I don't think there's grizzlies in PA.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:28 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
me. I used to feed birds and every spring a bear would destroy the feeder. The most recent time I was going to put the feeder away on a Sunday; bear got to it on Friday.

One place I lived there was bear paw prints on my back door. and came across a few while walking through the woods.

These were all black bears; I don't think there's grizzlies in PA.
I thought that we had a bear hanging around from all the garbage cans torn apart. Yesterday morning I watched as it slowly walked across the front of my property. It's a big one at probably around 400 pounds. Of course that is just a guess and I could be wrong? But I wasn't going to coax it onto any scale!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature