U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 02:43 PM

2,136 posts, read 882,493 times

Advertisements

I know they are compulsives. Haven't studied them enough to know if that extends to doing a particular thing/location on a particular day of the week. That is, perhaps Sunday is the day for your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 03:58 PM
KB4 KB4 started this thread

554 posts, read 1,191,345 times
Well, one of them came by about two hours ago! He/she carried a mouthful of dry grass into the nest and then disappeared. It reminds me of the time when we bought the house and still stayed in the city for a few weeks while we were having some work done in the house. I used to drive up on the weekend to check on the house.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:01 AM

8,817 posts, read 5,347,497 times
Last year we had wrens building a nest in a small watering can that had been left on its side. We noticed the twigs and grass stuffed into the can weeks before the birds actually took up residence. They finally decided to raise a family there and we enjoyed watching them darting back and forth with bugs and calling to each other, until the babies grew up and moved out.

In the fall my husband emptied out the watering can, thinking they wouldn't use it again. I was upset because I had heard they will come back to the same location. I set the can back exactly where it had been, and this spring the wrens came back, promptly refilled the inside with twigs and raised another family. They are very fun little creatures to watch.

Last edited by saibot; 06-01-2020 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 AM

4,027 posts, read 1,573,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
They probably have some essential bird business going on during the week. Sunday is their day of rest.

Yea, I was thinkin' they're a couple of ex-hippy wrens nearing retirement and planning on homesteading out in the sticks in the near future. They're just getting the place ready in their spare time. I bet they're going to keep chickens and grow kale.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Yea, I was thinkin' they're a couple of ex-hippy wrens nearing retirement and planning on homesteading out in the sticks in the near future. They're just getting the place ready in their spare time. I bet they're going to keep chickens and grow kale.
Yes, that must be it!

Old 06-01-2020, 12:33 PM

8,427 posts, read 14,100,576 times
That wren is having a little mistress on the side. The house repairs are just a cover story.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:40 PM

41 posts, read 10,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
A wren couple has been building a nest inside the hanging flower basket outside my kitchen window. But they are behaving as if it was their weekend house. They come on Sunday and do some serious building and then they disappear until the next weekend. It's not a male bird trying to attract females, it's a couple. It's been going on a few weekends now. What is going on?

Maybe they have a couple of nests at once.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:22 AM

While it's hard to see inside the nest, we suspect that one of them might be inside. Instead of building material, the other bird is now flying to the nest with what appears to be food. Very exciting, hopefully there will be baby birds at some point.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:44 AM

7,291 posts, read 8,982,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Last year we had wrens building a nest in a small watering can that had been left on its side. We noticed the twigs and grass stuffed into the can weeks before the birds actually took up residence. They finally decided to raise a family there and we enjoyed watching them darting back and forth with bugs and calling to each other, until the babies grew up and moved out.

In the fall my husband emptied out the watering can, thinking they wouldn't use it again. I was upset because I had heard they will come back to the same location. I set the can back exactly where it had been, and this spring the wrens came back, promptly refilled the inside with twigs and raised another family. They are very fun little creatures to watch.
It's actually good that your husband cleared out the nest from the watering can. Especially with stick nests made by wrens, ants and other critters will often take up residence, making it less attractive--and even hazardous--as a nest site.

Most birds build new nests each year, so it's best to clean out all boxes or other enclosed nesting places so that they can have a clean start. A few years ago, I left up a Robin's nest which was built in the open on top of a plank in a barn. The Robin returned the next year to the same spot. Instead of using the old nest, a new nest was built atop the old nest. That nesting spot is now a triple-decker, with a double-decker right beside it!

Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 PM

10,777 posts, read 4,891,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It's actually good that your husband cleared out the nest from the watering can. Especially with stick nests made by wrens, ants and other critters will often take up residence, making it less attractive--and even hazardous--as a nest site.

Most birds build new nests each year, so it's best to clean out all boxes or other enclosed nesting places so that they can have a clean start. A few years ago, I left up a Robin's nest which was built in the open on top of a plank in a barn. The Robin returned the next year to the same spot. Instead of using the old nest, a new nest was built atop the old nest. That nesting spot is now a triple-decker, with a double-decker right beside it!
I remember reading about the collapse of a bald eagle nest tree popular with local visitors. Eagles will come back to the same nest trees year after year. As part of courtship the pairs add new layers of material on top of existing ones. Eagles had used this tree for decades. Apparently the old spruce couldn't take it any more. They weighed all the nesting materials...more than a ton!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-04-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature