U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM

1,415 posts, read 421,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Never known anyone to hate mockingbirds before.
Many, many, many people do.

Who wants to be awakened at 2am by a cacophony of discordant noise to lose sleep over and over and over, night after night after night?

That's why my new favorite bird of all time is the ash throated fly catcher. They don't tolerate the mockingbird in its territory.

Fist pump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

6,991 posts, read 3,811,786 times
We have Ash-throated Flycatchers AND Northern Mockingbirds around. Neither one is a nuisance, and we welcome most birds.

I’m not wild about juncos because they hang out in huge groups and seem to drive off the towhees.

If you want to hear an incredibly annoying call, we’ll send you some doves. Monotonous is an understatement.

At least the mockingbirds talk back. I once imitated some other bird call after a mockingbird paused between its sets of imitations. That bird took an extra pause, then imitated my imitation.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

5,587 posts, read 2,773,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Many, many, many people do.

Who wants to be awakened at 2am by a cacophony of discordant noise to lose sleep over and over and over, night after night after night?

That's why my new favorite bird of all time is the ash throated fly catcher. They don't tolerate the mockingbird in its territory.

Fist pump
Actually, it's not the mockingbird's fault that it is singing earlier; sometimes in the middle of the night. Increased light pollution is a big factor in all birds singing much earlier than they used to. Other birds were also sleeping during the deep, dark night hours as well before increased light pollution caused them to change their waking hours. Birds exposed to artificial light can actually suffer sleep deprivation and stress.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

1,415 posts, read 421,590 times
The noise mockingbirds make is well documented and goes back into the past (my first bad experience goes back to the late 70's).

Regardless, it IS the bird that is bothersome.

So glad I don't hear it!

I'd take mourning doves over the mockingbird any day - at least they know to stf up at night.

Old Today, 10:32 AM

6,991 posts, read 3,811,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Actually, it's not the mockingbird's fault that it is singing earlier; sometimes in the middle of the night. Increased light pollution is a big factor in all birds singing much earlier than they used to. Other birds were also sleeping during the deep, dark night hours as well before increased light pollution caused them to change their waking hours. Birds exposed to artificial light can actually suffer sleep deprivation and stress.
White-crowned Sparrows greeted the dawn of every spring and summer day when we lived in the PNW. LOUDLY. Starting at 3:45 am during the longest summer days. They stopped at dark.

However, one time I was startled at about 1 am, first by an illegal US Navy Growler exercise directly overhead, followed immediately by the sparrow that had also been woken up.

Humans often are the noisy or intrusive provocateurs. It goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature