U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2020, 12:03 PM

19,156 posts, read 22,897,779 times

Advertisements

At 70YO I'm finally taking notice of birds. I'm a night owl, up all night, usually go to bed around 9-10-11am.

I've been sitting at a bench in my 55+ community, every night around midnight-1am, listening to the different chirping of the birds, some of their chirping sounds make me laugh aloud. There's one bird that chirps that comes out purdy, purdy, purdy. One morning, on my deck I heard it again, that purdy, purdy, purdy! Anyone know what this bird is?

I would sure like to know their language and what they're chirping/talking to one another about? And, curiously, where do they quench their thirst here in the Desert?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 02:59 PM

10,803 posts, read 4,891,574 times
So the bird is calling at night/at dawn? Mockingbirds often sing long after dark and start before dawn. This might help narrow it down:

Bird Sounds Library

As for what they're saying, much of it is "This is my turf, not yours" and "I'm here and I'm a stud!"

Many birds don't actually need to drink that much water. They get much of the need met by eating fruit (think cactus...), berries, and juicy insects. They also shelter from the hottest part of the day. The relative humidity in a dense bush is higher than out in the open which helps them conserve moisture.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-14-2020 at 03:22 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 03:59 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,238,969 times
I once had some mockingbirds in my backyard that carried on all night long. I guess they were guarding a nest. It's amazing how vast a repertoire these birds have.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:43 PM

3,572 posts, read 2,989,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
At 70YO I'm finally taking notice of birds. I'm a night owl, up all night, usually go to bed around 9-10-11am.

I've been sitting at a bench in my 55+ community, every night around midnight-1am, listening to the different chirping of the birds, some of their chirping sounds make me laugh aloud. There's one bird that chirps that comes out purdy, purdy, purdy. One morning, on my deck I heard it again, that purdy, purdy, purdy! Anyone know what this bird is?

I would sure like to know their language and what they're chirping/talking to one another about? And, curiously, where do they quench their thirst here in the Desert?
Our Carolina Wrens do a call that sounds like “per-di-to, per-di-to, per-di-to” but I’ve never heard them sing at night. Only songbird I’ve ever heard sing at night is a mockingbird, and as beautiful as their repertoire is, it can be downright annoying all night! They’re very loud, as is the wren.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:50 AM

2,963 posts, read 2,230,821 times
We have Cardinals that tell us they are "pretty, pretty, pretty" while at our bird feeders or birdbath. Could be the same call.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:07 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,733,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I once had some mockingbirds in my backyard that carried on all night long. I guess they were guarding a nest. It's amazing how vast a repertoire these birds have.

I have a few mockingbirds here that are soon to eat out of my hand. 2 of them now will fly up to me and land about 2 ft away.. awaiting a half grape. Generally, what I'm doing now is I open the front door and I made up a whistle to let them know I'm there and I can see the bravest one come flying from across the street and he'll land on the planter right near me at the door and I drop the grape, but the funny thing is, the other day I noticed they (well.. one, at least) are now copying the whistle call I made up! It added a bit of flair at the end of the call tho, lol. It's fun.
If I'm working in the yard weeding or something, I bring a little bowl of grapes cut in half because they will fly up and land about 2 feet in front of me on the ground and holler for a grape.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:43 PM

3,572 posts, read 2,989,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I have a few mockingbirds here that are soon to eat out of my hand. 2 of them now will fly up to me and land about 2 ft away.. awaiting a half grape. Generally, what I'm doing now is I open the front door and I made up a whistle to let them know I'm there and I can see the bravest one come flying from across the street and he'll land on the planter right near me at the door and I drop the grape, but the funny thing is, the other day I noticed they (well.. one, at least) are now copying the whistle call I made up! It added a bit of flair at the end of the call tho, lol. It's fun.
If I'm working in the yard weeding or something, I bring a little bowl of grapes cut in half because they will fly up and land about 2 feet in front of me on the ground and holler for a grape.
This is so cool! They sure are bold!

Old 06-17-2020, 05:31 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,733,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
This is so cool! They sure are bold!

Yes they are! lol. Not sure if it's bravery or stupidity, lol. But I enjoy it.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:22 PM
Status: "wake me up when the mob family is gone!" (set 3 days ago)

2,326 posts, read 2,832,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Sounds like a cardinal , I always call back to them ,try it you can have a conversation with
them.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:17 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,728,456 times
OP,
Try googling a website for the birds mentioned. Some web sites have an audio of the call the bird makes. You should be able to tell if one of the birds mentioned matches the sound you are hearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or