Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 03:56 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,172,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I didn't know about the 1,000 foot rule. I live just to the west of Roper Mountain (1168 feet) and a few miles to the east of Paris Mountain (1627 feet), and am surprised they both qualify as mountains. I tend to think of both of them as foothills rather than real mountains (the Appalachians are a little over an hour to the west).
That is because the "rule" is based on prominence, not elevation. Those peaks are over 1,000 feet in elevation above sea level, but they only rise a few hundred feet above the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 07:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,895,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
That is because the "rule" is based on prominence, not elevation. Those peaks are over 1,000 feet in elevation above sea level, but they only rise a few hundred feet above the surrounding area.
I think you missed my follow-up post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/59055492-post20.html

Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 AM

18,611 posts, read 7,449,212 times
Go to a certain pond ("Badwater Basin") in Death Valley, California. Good luck finding a trail in an upward direction. You might climb only a few hundred feet, but it's steep as all get-out. Finally after some hours you get up to a narrow ledge, from which the view is stunning.

At that point you realize you've climbed a mountain. Because there's a sign halfway up the torturous, rocky, blazingly hot incline. Read it, and you'll realize you've finally reached.... Sea Level.

BTDT.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:33 AM

87,961 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Some cool pictures on this thread.

But the title caught my eye because it immediately put me in mind of the movie, "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_En...own_a_Mountain

Plot: The film is set in 1917, with World War I in the background, and revolves around two English cartographers, the pompous George Garrad and his junior, Reginald Anson. They arrive at the fictional Welsh village of Ffynnon Garw ([ˈfən.nɔn ˈɡa.ru] "Rough Fountain" or "Rough Spring" in Welsh) to measure its "mountain" – only to cause outrage when they conclude that it is only a hill because it is slightly short of the required height of 1000 feet (305 m).

The villagers, aided and abetted by wily local, Morgan the Goat, and the Reverend Mr Jones who, after initially opposing the scheme, grasps its symbolism in restoring the community's war-damaged self-esteem, conspire to delay the cartographers' departure while they build an earth mound on top of the hill and make it high enough to be considered a mountain.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:13 PM

4,204 posts, read 3,123,589 times
I've hiked and climbed all over. That said, some "mountains" are relatively easy to summit and some "hills" can be quite taxing. When I think of mountains my mind immediately goes to the Rockies.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:17 PM

15,457 posts, read 15,429,065 times
The Englishman who Went up a Hill but Came down a Mountain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_En...own_a_Mountain

Old 09-12-2020, 09:39 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,663,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Go to a certain pond ("Badwater Basin") in Death Valley, California. Good luck finding a trail in an upward direction. You might climb only a few hundred feet, but it's steep as all get-out. Finally after some hours you get up to a narrow ledge, from which the view is stunning.

At that point you realize you've climbed a mountain. Because there's a sign halfway up the torturous, rocky, blazingly hot incline. Read it, and you'll realize you've finally reached.... Sea Level.
There is rarely a pond at Badwater. The basin is dry except for brief periods after occasional heavy rains in the nearby mountains, which aren't all that common. Anyway, sea level near Badwater is not by any means the summit of a mountain.

The summits of Coffin Peak and Mount Perry are within four miles east of Badwater (yes, it's possible to climb them from Badwater without any special gear or techniques, but one will have to be fit and have stamina) but they are both well over 5000' above sea level. So just because there's a sub-sea level area nearby, those aren't indisputably mountains and would be even if Badwater was at an elevation above sea level.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:54 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,172,210 times
Coffin Peak with a TP of 330 ft (100 m) is indisputably a hill, not a mountain.

Mount Perry, on the other hand, at a TP of 1276 ft (389 m) fits the definition of most geologists, albeit not by much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature