Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
When I hike in places like Joshua Tree or Death Valley, I'm usually off-trail.

It's pretty easy to hike a trail-less canyon or a ridge without getting lost. And a lot of great destinations - like summits - have no trails (though in certain areas social trails tend to develop). Also, I know how to read a map, so I print off the USGS 7.5-minute quadrangles.

You need to have some basic competence to navigate off-trail, but you don't need to go through Ranger school to find your way around with a compass and a map.

But its not something someone going for their first hikes needs to worry about, that can come later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
When I hike in places like Joshua Tree or Death Valley, I'm usually off-trail.

It's pretty easy to hike a trail-less canyon or a ridge without getting lost. And a lot of great destinations - like summits - have no trails (though in certain areas social trails tend to develop). Also, I know how to read a map, so I print off the USGS 7.5-minute quadrangles.

You need to have some basic competence to navigate off-trail, but you don't need to go through Ranger school to find your way around with a compass and a map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
But its not something someone going for their first hikes needs to worry about, that can come later.
The admonition to which I was responding said to NEVER go off trail.

It's generally good advice to stay on trails east of the Mississippi in most places, because the woodlands are so dense. But the poster who started this thread is in southern California, where canyons and ridgelines and beaches abound. These places tend to be without trails are aren't particularly challenging at all even to a novice. You really have to work hard to get lost hiking on those features. In fact, wandering out of a canyon and off a ridge on a trail can more readily lead to disorientation than staying in the canyon or ridgeline without trails.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
A great early hike is angels landing in Zion Canyon. It has little bits of all the challenges. Lots of steep trail parts,but also woods, fields, all kinds of different terrain. If you can do the landing and back in a day you will be fine hiking almost anywhere.

After you get a little experience get a guide and go back and do the Subway.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:34 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Probably been covered already:

1) Stay on trails and get maps from parks when you can - nothing like a good reference guide.

2) When hiking in areas with significant changes in elevations be sure to wear appropriate outer ware.

3) If you intend on going to remote areas be aware of the types of wildlife dangers

4) Reacquaint yourself with first aid and Self Defense basics is always a good thing - hopefully it won't be necessary

Only trouble I have encountered as solo hiker, is when in areas that one can easily lose orientation if off trail, such as desert areas at high sun (SE Arizona), and hiking during a snowstorm in upstate NY. I knew the park well which helped, but easy to lose orientation in whiteout conditions. Call me crazy.

The elevation change / outerwear issue I encountered when on a trip. I did the long weekend while in Calgary for the sole purpose of going to Banff Natl Park and hiked up to get the view of Lake Louise.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/trav...l#post55386547

Old 10-22-2020, 08:13 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't know how people do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6K0KoMrco

hikernut, yes, another reason why I'll do the botanical garden hike/walks...parking's a lot better!
I got tired just watching the video!

Old 10-22-2020, 08:27 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A great early hike is angels landing in Zion Canyon. It has little bits of all the challenges. Lots of steep trail parts,but also woods, fields, all kinds of different terrain. If you can do the landing and back in a day you will be fine hiking almost anywhere.

After you get a little experience get a guide and go back and do the Subway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Yep, Coldjensens, look at my post #45! I posted a video on that hike!

Guys, I know people hike that obviously, but I could never do it in a million yrs. Other than being able to be on roller coasters that are quite high, I'd say that I'm somewhat afraid of heights, but I'd never want to be that out in the open at that height. Plus, I tend to have off & on dizziness for the last few yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Probably been covered already:

1) Stay on trails and get maps from parks when you can - nothing like a good reference guide.

2) When hiking in areas with significant changes in elevations be sure to wear appropriate outer ware.

3) If you intend on going to remote areas be aware of the types of wildlife dangers

4) Reacquaint yourself with first aid and Self Defense basics is always a good thing - hopefully it won't be necessary

Only trouble I have encountered as solo hiker, is when in areas that one can easily lose orientation if off trail, such as desert areas at high sun (SE Arizona), and hiking during a snowstorm in upstate NY. I knew the park well which helped, but easy to lose orientation in whiteout conditions. Call me crazy.

The elevation change / outerwear issue I encountered when on a trip. I did the long weekend while in Calgary for the sole purpose of going to Banff Natl Park and hiked up to get the view of Lake Louise.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/trav...l#post55386547

Thanks for sharing, good thing you were familiar w/ the park in SE AZ!

Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
That is a fantastic looking trail, albeit rather crowded looking. Where I usually hike you might see two or three people/couples in a whole day.

I think I would make an exception for Angel's Landing, though.

Old 10-25-2020, 05:19 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
What's the best all-natural tick/bug repellent spray? Are these any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Tic...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.murphysnaturals.net/shop...8aApIyEALw_wcB

https://www.doterra.com/US/en/p/terr...EaAm8rEALw_wcB

https://www.vitacost.com/yaya-organi...ellent-4-fl-oz

Old 10-26-2020, 10:56 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
What's the best all-natural tick/bug repellent spray? Are these any good?
I bought the Repel Lemon-Eucalyptus based on a recommendation but haven't used it yet.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Love angels landing. It has never been crowded when I have been there. Typically you might encounter 2-3 other groups. It can be challenging if you encounter another group on the narrow cliff faces while hanging onto the chains, but many people ignore the chains and can just walk around you without any issue. i have a manageable fear of heights issue, but I still love this hike. I will admit that I cling to the chains though and I am not about to let go of the chain for even a second.

there are a lot of phenomenal hikes at Zion and they are all very different. Subway is my favorite, but you have to swim, climb crawl and rappel but all for short distances. There is a shouter version from the bottom up that you get to see part of the subway canyon without the challenges, but it is a there and back again hike. The narrows hike is really neat and then there is a "trail" that is just a non-stop climb up a stepped rock formation. I do not remember all the names, but there are more great and very different hikes at Zion than anywhere i know of. That is what is so cool about the Angels landing hike, the variety or terrains is amazing. The video just shows the end of the hike. On the way to the chains, you go through all kinds of different terrains and trail types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature