Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 04:02 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times

Advertisements

Even the most fearsome land predator on earth is no match alone against a pack of angry wolves.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/out...o5m?li=BBorjTa

Quote:
A tour group in Yellowstone National Park on Friday experienced a “once-in-a-lifetime” sighting of a large grizzly bear being harassed by wolves.

The accompanying footage, captured by Adam Brubaker of the Tied to Nature guide service, shows the large bear wandering across a meadow and suddenly realizing other critters were in its midst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVQU9UjbOFs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 04:29 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Thanks for posting that sighting. What a fantastic video. That's not something many people would a get a chance to see a rare thing like that. It was a very lucky fluke that the tour guide and his group just happened to be in the right place at the right time to witness that encounter. Those wolves just wanted to get rid of the grizzly and make it run away. I think the pack of wolves must have had a litter of young pups hiding close by that they were protecting from being found by the grizzly. Under ordinary circumstances with no pups needing protection a pack of just adults alone would likely have ignored the huge grizzly which otherwise could have been far more risky and trouble than it was worth to harass it out of their territory like that.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:29 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Even a grizzly gets humbled by a pack of wolves. There’s really not much it could have done in such a situation. It’s also possible that from a distance, the grizzly underestimated the size of the pack.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:10 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
That's amazing. Something tells me that the bear was near the den.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:08 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
The method of attack was interesting and clearly demonstrated how a pack can get the upper hand on a larger predator or prey animal. Not one wolf was standing face to face with the bear and trying to fight it out. They bit at it's hamstrings in the back when it was preoccupied looking at the rest of the pack in the front. Eventually the loss of blood would wear down any opponent.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,780,831 times
It is hard to say what the grizzly was doing. Interest in wolf den, kill carcass by the wolves or the grizzly, going for water... could be lots of scenarios.

Did the grizzly have previous experience with wolves? Seems like it blundered into a mess. Kinda think prior experience would have suggested not going into this encounter. Should be the lesson now.

The wolves did not take it to the max. None of them got in any good bites or tried that hard. No high commitment, life risking moves. Seemed more about defense but pretty mild. If it was den defense, I would have expected more anger, more fierceness. Or maybe it was about den but they had confidence and just weren't that worried.

Looked like: not welcome. It may have been a generic territory tiff. An afternoon rumble with a rival cuz the big lug got too close and was asking for it. For the wolves it seemed close to play or a going thru the motions practice drill. The bear did a pretty good job of defense. Didn't make a big mistake worth pushing... after the initial mistake of coming on. Didn't focus on one for that extra step / second or two that could have given another time and courage to lunge in from another angle.

My grandfather was said by my father to have encountered wolves one day while looking for cows as a boy. Over a 100 years ago. Don't recall details. But I guess he got out of it and way down the road I arrived.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-24-2020 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-24-2020, 08:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
It is hard to say what the grizzly was doing. Interest in wolf den, kill carcass by the wolves or the grizzly, going for water... could be lots of scenarios.

Did the grizzly have previous experience with wolves? Seems like it blundered into a mess. Kinda think prior experience would have suggested not going into this encounter. Should be the lesson now.

The wolves did not take it to the max. None of them got in any good bites or tried that hard. No high commitment, life risking moves. Seemed more about defense but pretty mild. If it was den defense, I would have expected more anger, more fierceness. Or maybe it was about den but they had confidence and just weren't that worried.

Looked like: not welcome. It may have been a generic territory tiff. An afternoon rumble with a rival cuz the big lug got too close and was asking for it. For the wolves it seemed close to play or a going thru the motions practice drill. The bear did a pretty good job of defense. Didn't make a big mistake worth pushing... after the initial mistake of coming on. Didn't focus on one for that extra step / second or two that could have given another time and courage to lunge in from another angle.

My grandfather was said by my father to have encountered wolves one day while looking for cows as a boy. Over a 100 years ago. Don't recall details. But I guess he got out of it and way down the road I arrived.
I agree with this assessment.

This was not a really big deal for the wolves whatever their reason was for harassing the grizzly. It was a bit of fooling around for the wolves.

Near the end of the video you notice while there's only 2 or 3 individuals doing a final bit of half-hearted yapping and nipping at the grizzly (like little kids pointing fingers and sneering "nyah, nyah, nyah" at the defeated bear), all the rest of the pack have formed a tight knit circle together at the side all wagging their tails madly, grinning and congratulating each with a wolfy version of a high five for their excellent team work in what was a well done practise drill showing the grizzly who was boss and putting the bear in its place.

Wolves are always such clever, arrogant, cocky creatures! They sure do work together very well.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-24-2020 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 07:33 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
It's all a numbers game. Of course 10 to 20 wolves can handily harass and intimidate a single grizzly. Not so much just 2 or 3 wolves without taking serious risk to their lives. The wolves were just letting the grizzly know he wasn't welcome in that immediate area. Perhaps there was a den close enough that they weren't going to take any chances or they may have had a recent kill nearby that they had no intention of sharing.
A mother grizzly with cubs would have certainly take out several wolves before letting one of them harm one of her babies. Just one good bite or good contact with a claw swipe and any wolf would be toast. All it would take is the bear to cause a broken leg or broken jaw to a wolf.

Last edited by marino760; 10-25-2020 at 07:45 AM..

Old 10-25-2020, 09:56 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,779,489 times
Wolves are thugs that attack in groups. I would love to see how they do against another thug group like lions or hyenas.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:31 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Wolves are thugs that attack in groups. I would love to see how they do against another thug group like lions or hyenas.
I doubt they’d fare well against a pack of lions or tigers. Big cats are a lot more massive than wolves. Against hyenas, they’d be more evenly matched, possibly even having the upper hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature