Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Also this is the first I have heard that they "spit venom". I can't find any reference to that ability prior to the latest media frenzy of articles that all quote the same phrase. Some insects can spit venom but in the absence of reliable sourcing I'm very skeptical that this is one. The larvae can spit an amino acid mixture but that's a far cry from adults spitting venom.
There could be some basis to it. Perhaps there have been some scientific studies that haven't been mentioned. I think it odd for them to wear masks to protect their eyes from spit just on the say so of news in the media. Look up 'hornet saliva' and you'll get some articles from around 2014 about alcoholic sports drinks made with giant Asian hornet saliva in it that is used by athletes to give them more power and endurance in their athletic endeavours. There are also some science articles about the saliva of the adults that is applied to the macerated meat of their prey that gets fed to the larvae because of super enzymes of some kind in the saliva that turns the meat into super-food. Maybe that saliva is like an acid that can burn the eyes but not harm the digestive tract of the larvae? I'm just conjecturing here but I'd certainly be interested to learn more about it if it is true they can spit out venom or acid in their saliva.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/a-spo...of-hornet-spit

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&e...4dUDCA0&uact=5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 07:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
To deal with giant asian murder hornets use this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1k_R5Lpjss

Old 10-26-2020, 08:11 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
There's nothing mysterious about these wasps or how they behave. They are not a new species on this planet and they've been around Asia for millions of years and have been thoroughly studied by the Chinese and Japanese. Any information regarding them that is needed by American scientists is easily obtained including how and what they spit.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Sorry, I see those outfits and think of Bibendum...
I'm thinking oompa loompas.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There's nothing mysterious about these wasps or how they behave. They are not a new species on this planet and they've been around Asia for millions of years and have been thoroughly studied by the Chinese and Japanese. Any information regarding them that is needed by American scientists is easily obtained including how and what they spit.
Can you find that information for us about what they spit? Curious minds want to know more.

They aren't wasps ..... and they don't behave like wasps either. They are an apex species of insects.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
The stinger of the Asian giant hornet is about 6 mm (1⁄4 in) long,[9] which is about 4.5 mm (3⁄16 in) longer than that of a honeybee.[34] It injects an especially potent venom that contains, like many bee and wasp venoms, a cytolytic peptide (specifically, a mastoparan) that can damage tissue by stimulating phospholipase action, in addition to its own phospholipase.[33] Masato Ono, an entomologist at Tamagawa University, described the sensation of being stung as feeling "like a hot nail being driven into my leg".[9] Besides using their stingers to inject venom, Asian giant hornets are apparently able to spray venom into a person's eyes under certain circumstances, with one report in 2020 from Japan of long-term damage, though the exact extent of actual visual impairment still remains unassessed.[35]

Quote from Wikipedia

I imagine news coverage of these critters consults Wikipedia, which well could be the source of the info. I have heard the bit about spitting venom before.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 PM

Thank you for that information Silibran.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:16 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Interesting. Should help accelerate the already over-the-top hysteria about them.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:18 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Can you find that information for us about what they spit? Curious minds want to know more.

They aren't wasps ..... and they don't behave like wasps either. They are an apex species of insects.

How did you come to that conclusion? They are wasps. Their scientific name is Vespa which means wasp in Latin. Why would you say they don't behave like wasps? All wasp species behave a little different from each other, that's one reason why they are different species.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
They're now saying that there wasn't a queen amongst the murder hornets that they vacuumed up, presumably survived. Another beeologist stated there are probably other hives as well.

Time to consider escalation of our attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature