Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2020, 12:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Not to mention hes Far from His Family! What Rotten Holliday for him Strange area No Home....
Don't worry, dont cry. The owl didn't imprint, and owls don't have families nor associate with each other in the winter, and there is no such thing as holidays for any kinds of animals. Holidays are a human religious invention. Since the owl could not care less about that sort of thing you shouldn't get anxious about it either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2020, 01:57 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
and owls don't have families nor associate with each other in the winter,

Um, not quite. Many owl species nest very early in spring, so they're starting courtship activities in winter...

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-26-2020 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-26-2020, 04:01 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Video of them releasing the bird today:
https://www.facebook.com/RavensbeardWildlifeCenter/

I cried watching the video!

Old 11-26-2020, 04:07 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Not to mention hes Far from His Family! What Rotten Holliday for him Strange area No Home....
I think it's a she. Plus isn't this the time she's supposed to be migrating south?

Old 11-26-2020, 04:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Um, not quite. Many owl species nest very early in spring, so they're starting courtship activities in winter...
You're probably right about that for some owl species. For northern saw-whet owls (i.e. Rocky) the courtship and breeding season starts between March and May but they're loners in winter. However, I know that it's not uncommon for barn owls to start courtships in late winter and their owlets from the previous spring are sometimes known to remain semi-social with their siblings for a few months after fledging, right into winter.

And .... both saw-whet owls and barn owls can get quite social with humans and like to hang around human habitations. On Hornby Island up the coast a bit there is a very tiny sub-species of northern saw-whet owls that are around the same size as the tiny elf owls of the southwest states (the elf owls are considered the smallest species of owl in North America). The wee little Hornby Island saw-whets are surprisingly social and friendly with the people and livestock animals on the island. I think it's because they don't know any other kind of life and nobody bothers them. They are the cutest little creatures, and very curious and comfortable around human activities. Some of them will nest in the nesting boxes that are nailed up near front doors or windows under porch roofs. The owls hover and catch insects that are attracted to the porch lights at night. Also they are known to hunt beside tide pools and along shorelines for small marine life for food. Not your average owls.

Old 11-27-2020, 05:14 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Better yet a FAKE tree they can Reuse & Save Tax Payers Money!
FFS...

The total cost of the display (tree, transportation, lights) would be about $75,000, but a third of that is the estimated value of the tree itself, which is always donated. Presumably, the sources (it's different each year) consider the free publicity more than adequate compensation. The real estate company that owns Rockefeller Center pays for the remaining costs. Again, it's a drop in the bucket and great media on their behalf.

But, regardless of all that, even if the taxpayers of the city of New York had to foot the bill... so what? $75k split among more than 8.3 million residents of New York comes to less than one cent per capita. Is it really than onerous to fork out less than one cent to have something nice? Is it really?

Old 11-27-2020, 10:36 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I can't watch news coverage about these massive trees killed for big city holiday spectacles. Such an incredible mini-ecosystem and long life cut short for a couple of weeks of entertainment...just no. I don't care if it is a tradition. At least they aren't cutting them during most species' nesting seasons. Except for some owls of course. Like most kids I felt our family Christmas tree was pretty but once I was old enough to understand what was involved I couldn't enjoy them. The worst is seeing the reject trees left on lots on Dec 25th. Try not to drive anywhere to avoid seeing them. Yeah, I know, I know, they're recyclable.
I think you are being kind of silly. Christmas trees for sale are grown on tree farms and harvested like any other crop...it’s like feeling sorry for eating corn on the cob. The few big trees that are taken for Rockefeller Center, etc. are volunteered by people who have a tree that has outgrown its place.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:58 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Joe will assure, that the rights of corn cobs shall not be infringed...

Old 11-27-2020, 07:27 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
One thing I love about NYC is how this crowded, bustling metropolis often comes to a dead stop when people rush to help a stray animal.

Or, y'know, laugh at a video of a rat eating pizza.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:58 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
One thing I love about NYC is how this crowded, bustling metropolis often comes to a dead stop when people rush to help a stray animal.

Or, y'know, laugh at a video of a rat eating pizza.
I love Pizza Rat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature