Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 07:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

If you do it out of necessity - to eat -it is moral -if not- you kill for sport? this makes you worse than the creatures you call predators
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2020, 07:56 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I think it's immoral and inhumane to prefer an animal suffer from disease or starvation due to overpopulation rather than an instant death delivered by a hunter. Yes, nature's way, but it's a cruel death that can be avoided for some. Do you find joy in wanting those animals to suffer a natural death when there's an alternative? I find no joy in the kill but I'm very satisfied because my freezers are full of black bear, a species that's over populated in my area to the point of starvation in the den, deer, part of a moose shared with us from a sustenance hunt, and chickens I raised and processed. None of these animals suffered, and all will be eaten. Nothing goes to waste. Hunting provided enough meat this year to not need to raise chickens for meat next year. We don't support factory farming. Instead, we put a lot of work into the responsibility it takes to supply our food.

Remember this - nobody eats without causing death. Animals are ground up in the field, wounded and left with a lifelong painful injury, and left to suffer and then die in the field after being run over by the heavy equipment used in producing vegan diets. Watch the birds of prey following combines. They're after the dead and dying animals. Consider the deer, bear and moose in vegetable and fruit fields being killed because they damage plant crops. Death is part of eating for everyone here. Even those of us providing the majority of our diets by growing our own fruits, vegetables, herbs, etc. cause death. One slice of a spade through an unseen meadow vole nest while digging potatoes does a lot of damage. We're all responsible for deaths, some of us by proxy, others at our own hands. Either way, dead is dead. It's a lot to think about.
Sanest statement of the night!

Old 12-04-2020, 08:09 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
If you do it out of necessity - to eat -it is moral -if not- you kill for sport? this makes you worse than the creatures you call predators
That's what I was talking about earlier: hunt for food, not for sport. Even wolves and lions, the apex predators, only kill to eat and eat all they kill. Humans are no different: our teeth and our digestive systems are equipped for eating meat. And if a lion knows better than to kill an animal just to let it go to waste, so should we.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:57 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Personally, I think that people are far too removed from their sources of food, our food chain is far too sanitized and as a result we have lost our "gratitude" for abundant food. There is a reason people used to say grace before eating, my guess is it's because they didn't always get three squares and appreciated it much more when they did. I think back to what life must have been like in the 1850's, what with no anesthesia, no modern dentistry, no 75°F homes in the summer and winter both, no automobiles (riding a horse is harder work than it looks, let alone walking), waiting weeks for news of what's going on a state away, and being mostly responsible with growing or hunting one's own food. We are a pretty spoiled lot today, we are.

In a similar manner, my guess is that if people had to kill and dress their own meat, there'd be a lot more vegetarians in the world, and that wouldn't necessarily be a terrible thing.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:00 AM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That's what I was talking about earlier: hunt for food, not for sport. Even wolves and lions, the apex predators, only kill to eat and eat all they kill. Humans are no different: our teeth and our digestive systems are equipped for eating meat. And if a lion knows better than to kill an animal just to let it go to waste, so should we.
That's not entirely true. Wolves will occasionally engage in 'surplus killing' and for no apparent reason.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...lling-wyoming/

Quote:
Such a surplus kill event apparently went down in northwestern Wyoming this week, when a gray wolf pack seemingly dispensed with 19 elk in a single night.

"Normally one or two elk a night here and there is no big deal, but 19 in one night is fairly rare," Wyoming Game and Fish Department supervisor John Lund told a local TV station.

Old 12-05-2020, 05:11 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I'm curious. What do you call predators?

Old 12-05-2020, 06:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Many answers!. I raised the topic because in my country Spain, however I am not longer living in Spain, animal rights movements or animal protectionism is becoming more and more popular with the use of social media and social networking and is not uncommon such groups are controlled by political parties who are more interested in popularity and press rather than the ideas such people defend. I do not know if it's the same in the US, I can figure out the answer would be yes.

Such people is becoming even more violent calling you assasin and even categorizing those who like or just support hunting as criminals, genocidal, nazi, etc. It is clear and most of you supported hunting as wildlife conservation and as a measure to control overpopulation of some animals. I should have left "sport hunting" or "trophy hunting" aside, as well as poaching. It seems there is a consensus that both are cruel and do not serve a useful purpose.

However, such movements in Spain have radicalized in a extent that any form of taking advantage of an animal is cruelty. Of course, hunting, even if it's justified is animal cruelty and genocidal but what astonished me is they even consider that getting milk from a cow is animal cruelty and torture. I mean, if you have a cow or 20 cows and you give them everything to keep them healthy and you just take advantage of them to get milk for food consumption or commercialize your milk to make money, is that really cruelty? The animal is suffering?
That is interesting that the animal rights movement is really strong in Spain. Have they been successful in eliminating bull fighting? If not, let's hope it will be soon. If anything epitomizes senseless killing of an animal for pleasure, it is bull fighting.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Sanest statement of the night!
Thank you. I've been living the lifestyle for more than 50 years. Twenty-two years of living off the land in the forest with predator and prey in my backyard, sometimes on my back porch, has taught me a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Personally, I think that people are far too removed from their sources of food, our food chain is far too sanitized
At the very least everyone should know that healthy chicken meat is not pale tan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
In a similar manner, my guess is that if people had to kill and dress their own meat, there'd be a lot more vegetarians in the world, and that wouldn't necessarily be a terrible thing.

Agreed. It's not a pleasant process. It's a lot of personal responsibility. I'd be a vegetarian if I had to rely on factory meat. It's a personal choice for all of us.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:45 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That's not entirely true. Wolves will occasionally engage in 'surplus killing' and for no apparent reason.
I didn't know that, but that's not entirely bad. The rabbits that get surplus-killed are the ones that can't run fast. Which is usually because they're sick or weak. So the wolves keep the rabbit population healthy that way. Plus, if that's done in winter, the rabbit meat will stay fresh in the cold, and can be eaten later. Assuming the wolves actually drag the surplus-killed rabbits to their dens, that is.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:29 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I think it's somewhat more morally responsible to hunt and kill your own food, if done as humanely as possible, than it is to buy mass produced meat at the supermarket. Farmed animals are often subject to rather appalling conditions, and mass farms contribute to habitat loss and pollution.

That said, I take the hit on my karma and buy packaged meat because it's convenient. Yeah, I'm not perfect.

Sport hunting is barbaric; bringing fear, pain and death to an animal just for your pleasure is pretty gross. I did some fishing at a friend's pond--barbless hooks, catch and release. I caught one fish, and realized I was traumatizing a living creature to entertain myself. Ugh!

I have no trouble trapping and killing mice, rats, roaches and ants because they cause me problems, but am horrified at the thought of slaughtering cute little bunnies and clever coyotes. I assume my attitude would change if they were a problem for me. And rabbit stew is pretty tasty!

In summary: I'm a bleeding-heart hypocrite who tries to be honest with myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature