Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 08:02 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

My dad had his bird feeder pretty well "squirrel proofed". He put a 4x4 pot in the ground with some PVC "arms" coming off the top to hang the feeders on. For the big bird feeder he duct taped 2 little pieces of wood on each side of where the feeder hanger will go to keep it in place. Then he got some sheets of thin tin and wrapped around the post, with the top sheet overlapping the bottom. That way, the critters couldn't jump up, hook their claws on the top of that bottom sheet, then do the same to get to the top of the second. Squirrels never got in it, but never really needed to. The birds knocked more seed off on the ground than they ate. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 10:01 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Ok, to review.

First off, it’s newly retired Mr Gentle who wants to feed the birds and squirrels. I think it’s a critter welfare program which create dependency. I’d prefer to plant bird friendly plants, and we already have an oak tree for the squirrels.

Now it has become a funny battle of wills.... Picture Bill Murray in Caddyshack and the gophers.

DH has to find ways to amuse himself. Today he put red pepper flakes in the birdseed. He could buy a squirrel proof feeder, but he’s too cheap, and what kind of challenge would that be?

Old 03-27-2021, 11:08 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I can relate to that!

Old 03-27-2021, 01:15 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times
We have two of the Squirrel Buster feeders, and they are mostly squirrel-proof.

What peeves me most is that I've lately invested in shelled sunflower and safflower seeds -- the "wasteless" kind -- and I get just as much scattered on the ground as I do with the cheap shelled seed. And once all that seed is down there only the doves will touch it, and there are only two pairs, so they can't keep it cleaned up. What the what?

Old 03-27-2021, 01:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, to review.

First off, it’s newly retired Mr Gentle who wants to feed the birds and squirrels. I think it’s a critter welfare program which create dependency. I’d prefer to plant bird friendly plants, and we already have an oak tree for the squirrels.

Now it has become a funny battle of wills.... Picture Bill Murray in Caddyshack and the gophers.

DH has to find ways to amuse himself. Today he put red pepper flakes in the birdseed. He could buy a squirrel proof feeder, but he’s too cheap, and what kind of challenge would that be?
I am seriously trying to grow a chinqapin oak for the squirrels as it seems a more natural and healthier way to keep them around than to hand out peanuts. But the rabbits, that I ordinarily love, have broken into the chickenwire enclosure and eaten off the very young tree twice now. I'm about to give up and now I'm shaking my fist at the rabbits!

Old 03-27-2021, 07:36 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
My friend said that their squirrel feeder does help keep them away from the bird seed. Yesterday, hubby made this, but we are still waiting to see how the squirrels like it.
I have no doubt they attract squirrels. Do the squirrels understand or care what we want?

Old 03-28-2021, 04:38 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Squirrels are like an urban Delta Force of rodents.

They can be defeated, but not easily...

Old 03-29-2021, 07:35 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We like the squirrels and enjoy watching them. We put pepper flakes in the bird feeder, so that seems to have helped. Now, we have discovered a pair of garter snakes near the black door. We won’t be feeding them, however, and I hope they move on. I don’t want them eating my anoles.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
My friend said that their squirrel feeder does help keep them away from the bird seed. Yesterday, hubby made this, but we are still waiting to see how the squirrels like it.
I feed squirrels on the ground, as others do. I also have low-hanging tray type feeders that both squirrels and birds enjoy. It's my experience that the squirrels leave my other hanging feeders alone since it's so hard to get to them and hard to balance on them. My squirrels like sunflower seeds and peanuts the best, and I bought a big 20lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds at Walmart (about $10) and bags of unsalted peanuts in the shell at my grocery store (also relatively cheap).

No matter what other things I have tried - baffles, greasing shepherds crook poles, feeders with cages - I have found that squirrels are clever and determined. So, I make meals easy for squirrels (which a lot of other ground-feeding birds also enjoy) and it's all good.

Yes, I do have more squirrels than I did initially, but I have also seen squirrels self-regulate their numbers by chasing off others when the "restaurant" is at capacity.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:45 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I feed squirrels on the ground, as others do. I also have low-hanging tray type feeders that both squirrels and birds enjoy. It's my experience that the squirrels leave my other hanging feeders alone since it's so hard to get to them and hard to balance on them. My squirrels like sunflower seeds and peanuts the best, and I bought a big 20lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds at Walmart (about $10) and bags of unsalted peanuts in the shell at my grocery store (also relatively cheap).

No matter what other things I have tried - baffles, greasing shepherds crook poles, feeders with cages - I have found that squirrels are clever and determined. So, I make meals easy for squirrels (which a lot of other ground-feeding birds also enjoy) and it's all good.

Yes, I do have more squirrels than I did initially, but I have also seen squirrels self-regulate their numbers by chasing off others when the "restaurant" is at capacity.
I remember back in 1969 or so we had a bird feeder tethered to a tree branch by a metal wire. The squirrels used to climb down the wire, eat from the feeder and then jump to the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature