Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 06:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times

Advertisements

Deer are browsers not grazers like cattle.

Browsers mean they eat more leaves, berries and other vegetation and not that much grass.

Browsing versus Grazing.

Quote:
Browsers glean leaves, bark, and green stems from plants, while grazers clip vegetation at or near ground level. Deer, such as this white-tailed deer in the Rocky Mountains, are browsers, a distinct advantage when grasses and other ground-level vegetation are covered by deep, wet, snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 06:46 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
They did not do much browsing on the lot. My two lots are like an infield of a race track that totals about 3/4 of an acre. I see deer eating all around us by the road. I put some corn out one time that attracted two huge bucks. I want to give them more options where we can watch them.
Deer like areas that are open, like the road, where they can see threats coming and run. That's why you see them eating there, at the edges. They don't like crashing through heavy brush any more than we do. But they do like to disappear in to it to hide.

By opening up your lot you may encourage them to come in off the road, which is good... but they will seek to eat the bushes and berries and low branches, more than just grass.

Good idea to offer a big trough of water, if water is hard to find, and a salt lick.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Winter rye is good, I'd also plants oats. Oat grass and oat grains are a favoured browse for the deer around here, wheat grass and wheat nutlets too.

I second the suggestion to put out a salt block for them too, that will also attract other wild animals besides deer.

Check out these lists by region, there's lots of no-care plants, shrubs and herbs you can choose from to let grow wild that are good forage for deer: https://www.deerassociation.com/know-native-deer-foods/

Old 08-11-2021, 09:39 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
A few people have mentioned salt blocks. Just be aware that salt blocks are not allowed in some areas--especially in areas with Chronic Wasting Disease.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
A few people have mentioned salt blocks. Just be aware that salt blocks are not allowed in some areas--especially in areas with Chronic Wasting Disease.
Whoa Nellie !! That slipped my mind.

That's an excellent point, thanks for mentioning that contagious disease. The CWD prions are shed in the saliva, urine and feces from infected deer who come to the salt blocks and then the prions can be contracted by otherwise healthy, unrelated deer who also come to lick the same salt blocks. So perhaps salt blocks are NOT such a good idea for wild deer after all because it's something that can be all too easily contaminated with them ALL licking on it and getting saliva on it and spreading the disease.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:52 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Deer love clover. And clover replenishes nitrogen in the soil so that more herbs and grasses can grow. So be sure to add clover to the mix.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:15 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times
I was already thinking of a salt block or two. All of the local farm supply stores sell them. Some are labeled for deer. Right now it needs to rain to settle the dust/dirt some. My local Tractor Supply has several types of blocks, feed and food plot options. I am looking at getting some of this to start off with.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...5?cm_vc=-10015

Old 08-12-2021, 11:37 AM

2,714 posts, read 2,215,475 times
I am also looking for some wildflowers to plant also. Most of this along with the clover mix will be in the ditches since the years of leaves/limbs were cleaned out.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:54 AM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
I am also looking for some wildflowers to plant also. Most of this along with the clover mix will be in the ditches since the years of leaves/limbs were cleaned out.
Wildflowers in the open field?
https://www.edenbrothers.com/store/p...iABEgLJv_D_BwE

Just keep in mind that those rats with antlers you wish to attract will eat anything green down to the dirt.

We have a USN installation near me that had an overabundance of deer. It wasn't helped any by having one of the neighbors throwing literally tons of corn over the back security fence every year (she ended up being cited for illegally feeding wildlife to make her stop). The deer were not only eating everything she fed them but were so overpopulated that there wasn't anything growing within eight feet of the ground anywhere aboard the facility.

Well, the Navy finally had some snake eaters come in to thin the herd over the course of several years. The area is now the way it should be with forbs and other plants growing and the deer herd being a manageable size.

Old 08-12-2021, 01:08 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
I was already thinking of a salt block or two. All of the local farm supply stores sell them. Some are labeled for deer. Right now it needs to rain to settle the dust/dirt some. My local Tractor Supply has several types of blocks, feed and food plot options. I am looking at getting some of this to start off with.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...5?cm_vc=-10015
Check your regional F&G web information to see whether CWD or other contagious diseases occur in your area first. Also check to see whether putting out licks is even appropriate for your area. Encouraging deer to congregate at licks may be ILLEGAL! Even if there are no diseases to be concerned about, there may also be restrictions on putting licks out in certain times of year due to hunting regulations. Ignorance is no excuse. You could be fined severely. You could also be creating an attractive nuisance for your neighbors. The deer your lick attracts may browse on their landscaping or gardens.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-12-2021 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature