Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 10:09 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have a feeling most of those giving you a hard time for being unhappy about porcupines would understand within 30 seconds of their pet getting a face full of quills. Or even, if they had to watch a wild coyote suffer and die from infection and starvation after running in to one. It's not a pleasant way to go.

Not all animals are welcome additions to the naturescape. Bless their hearts, but I understand being less than pleased about this neighbor.
Nature isn't for everyone. Not all humans are welcome additions either.

Most of my dogs have run afoul of porcupines, some of them more than once. One of them got dozens of quills in his muzzle and mouth and throat that I had to pull out by hand. It wasn't fun for either of us but none of It made me dislike porcupines. It did make me keep a closer eye on my dogs. Especially after the same dog chomped onto the same porcupine in the same place a couple weeks later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
You forgot to note that I said "in the winter". They have plenty of other food sources during the rest of the year. I think it would take several porcupines quite a while yo de-bark a large group of trees.
I don't know how long or how many it takes, but I've seen all of the pines near a house or cabin be stripped to the point of killing the trees. It doesn't really matter which season they do it in so I'm not sure why you mentioned it. Its distressing to the owner regardless of the season but I still favor nonlethal means of dealing with it. After it gets that bad even lethal means aren't going to change it.If you know you have porkys hanging around its easy to protect your most valuable trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 08:14 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Nature isn't for everyone. Not all humans are welcome additions either.

Most of my dogs have run afoul of porcupines, some of them more than once. One of them got dozens of quills in his muzzle and mouth and throat that I had to pull out by hand. It wasn't fun for either of us but none of It made me dislike porcupines. It did make me keep a closer eye on my dogs. Especially after the same dog chomped onto the same porcupine in the same place a couple weeks later.

I don't know how long or how many it takes, but I've seen all of the pines near a house or cabin be stripped to the point of killing the trees. It doesn't really matter which season they do it in so I'm not sure why you mentioned it. Its distressing to the owner regardless of the season but I still favor nonlethal means of dealing with it. After it gets that bad even lethal means aren't going to change it.If you know you have porkys hanging around its easy to protect your most valuable trees.
See, this is a logical and educated approach to dealing with nature. The porcupines were there first, and there are ways of living with them. One can dislike the fact that they are on your property, but they, like other creatures, have their place in the overall ecosystem. You learn to adapt and deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature