Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 11:05 PM

254 posts, read 261,238 times

Advertisements

Was up setting pins for the cabin foundation today and got to noticing a BUNCH of trees had been stripped of the bark! Started walking the property and found that it was mostly where we have been thinning because the trees were so thick. Way too many trees damaged top to bottom. Some 40ft up and I can't imagine they will make it. We're not going to thin anymore until we are living there if thinning even had anything to do with it. Looks like a whole herd of the dang things went through several acres of trees. I was just there a week ago and didn't notice anything. Good Lord forbid I see a porcupine on our property or within miles of our property. Not happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 05:56 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Welcome to their home.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:10 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Was up setting pins for the cabin foundation today and got to noticing a BUNCH of trees had been stripped of the bark! Started walking the property and found that it was mostly where we have been thinning because the trees were so thick. Way too many trees damaged top to bottom. Some 40ft up and I can't imagine they will make it. We're not going to thin anymore until we are living there if thinning even had anything to do with it. Looks like a whole herd of the dang things went through several acres of trees. I was just there a week ago and didn't notice anything. Good Lord forbid I see a porcupine on our property or within miles of our property. Not happy!
Why aren't you happy? Porcupines don't typically attack people. They're mostly nocturnal and even if you encounter one during the day they provide plenty of warning (strong odor, teeth clattering, and raising of their quills). They don't throw their quills, so you'd have to be actively pursuing one to get a tail full of quills
slapped against you. And since porcupines primarily eat bark in the winter, I would imagine that a few could strip a bunch of trees very effectively. BTW, deer will eat bark too if there's no other browse available.

Old 08-23-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Why aren't you happy?

And since porcupines primarily eat bark .

You answered your own question.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:16 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
You want the trees thinned! This is Nature thinning the trees!

Those Animals Need to Eat! You cut them they STARVE! So let them EAT!

Old 08-23-2021, 01:20 PM

254 posts, read 261,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Exactly!! I've seen several porcupines in the mountains and seen the minute damage they did. NEVER have I seen them debark 40' trees almost COMPLETELY to the top and so many side by side over several acres.

They seriously did some damage! The only good thing is that I particularly thinned that certain area for a cpl stock but I sure didn't want it completely de-treed!

Old 08-23-2021, 05:31 PM

I don't begrudge a hungry porcupine doing what hungry porcupines were born to do, but if there are certain trees that are valued for shade aluminum flashing will prevent them from climbing.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:10 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
You forgot to note that I said "in the winter". They have plenty of other food sources during the rest of the year. I think it would take several porcupines quite a while yo de-bark a large group of trees.

Old 08-23-2021, 07:56 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I have a feeling most of those giving you a hard time for being unhappy about porcupines would understand within 30 seconds of their pet getting a face full of quills. Or even, if they had to watch a wild coyote suffer and die from infection and starvation after running in to one. It's not a pleasant way to go.

Not all animals are welcome additions to the naturescape. Bless their hearts, but I understand being less than pleased about this neighbor.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:23 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
cpl stock ??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature