Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 12:42 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times

Advertisements

Discovered a mound of dirt (like a gopher mound) next to a hedge encroaching on top of a wall in mom's backyard (in so. Cal). Started pushing the dirt mound off the wall back into the hedge with bare hands when many agitated ants started coming out (looked similar to the harmless little ones but a little bigger). A few of those suckers bit me on the hand...ouch...quickly got the rest off hands...looks like fire ants. Anybody else deal with these? They are tough little buggers!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 12:39 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
They’ve been expanding into NC at least 20 yrs. now. They were initially brought in on mud from the south and found the NC soils a good place to expand their numbers. They have very large underground tunnel systems so are hard to eliminate in lawns and pastures.

Where did you find them? City and state.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
They’ve been expanding into NC at least 20 yrs. now. They were initially brought in on mud from the south and found the NC soils a good place to expand their numbers. They have very large underground tunnel systems so are hard to eliminate in lawns and pastures.

Where did you find them? City and state.

Mom is in Orange County, California...I called vector control and they are going to come out and take care of it...will ask them what kind of ants they are (apparently many different species) when they come around.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:55 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Mom is in Orange County, California...I called vector control and they are going to come out and take care of it...will ask them what kind of ants they are (apparently many different species) when they come around.
When I discovered an ant mound in my flower bed here in Illinois, I was thrilled since I know we don’t have fire ants here. I had plenty of unpleasant experiences while living in Florida. My favorite is the car hitchhikers. You’re driving along innocently until you feel burning pain on your feet or ankles.

Old 12-29-2021, 09:05 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
I live in Orange County and we had fire ants in our front lawn a couple of months ago. It took us a while to realize what they were; my husband got bitten on the hands while he was trimming around the porch pillars. The more we looked, the more ants we saw. They had also started expanding across our driveway into the neighbor's yard.

We just bought a small container of Amdro fire ant bait, sprinkled it around on a warm morning, and in no time they were gone.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I live in Orange County and we had fire ants in our front lawn a couple of months ago. It took us a while to realize what they were; my husband got bitten on the hands while he was trimming around the porch pillars. The more we looked, the more ants we saw. They had also started expanding across our driveway into the neighbor's yard.

We just bought a small container of Amdro fire ant bait, sprinkled it around on a warm morning, and in no time they were gone.
Thanks for your info...may have to get some Amdro as well...depending on what Vector does first.

Old 12-30-2021, 04:43 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Hubby keeps the fire ant poison granules in an empty parmesan cheese shaker. This fits in the drink holder on the riding mower, so it’s easy to give the ant mounds a sprinkle as they pop up.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Interesting unintended experiment results:

Mississippi fire ants are WAY worse than Texas fire ants.

My hypothesis: the wetter the area, the more "juice" the ants carry to fire you up with.

Also, the sting feels a lot like the stinging jellyfish of my childhood.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Interesting unintended experiment results:

Mississippi fire ants are WAY worse than Texas fire ants.

My hypothesis: the wetter the area, the more "juice" the ants carry to fire you up with.

Also, the sting feels a lot like the stinging jellyfish of my childhood.
The sting isn’t as bad as the wicked itching that follows.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:38 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Discovered a mound of dirt (like a gopher mound) next to a hedge encroaching on top of a wall in mom's backyard (in so. Cal). Started pushing the dirt mound off the wall back into the hedge with bare hands when many agitated ants started coming out (looked similar to the harmless little ones but a little bigger). A few of those suckers bit me on the hand...ouch...quickly got the rest off hands...looks like fire ants. Anybody else deal with these? They are tough little buggers!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ant
All over the ranch but I let them be. They are part of my indigenous defence forces.

Now, on a less romantic stand point, I understand these things are enemies of fleas. If so, would they not be a good thing for nature preserve with among its members, mammals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature