Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 08:16 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times

Advertisements

I live in Missouri. My favorite bird is the Eastern blue bird. It's the state bird. I don't see them THAT often.
My second favorite are the mocking birds. We have one at work. In the Spring it sits in a tree outside one of the windows, and sings it's little heart out all morning. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 08:23 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Oh yes! We have some blue birds in the backyard. They don't come in the front we're all the other birds are. This year I'm going to put out a nesting box in the proper way and also put out another box, as suggested, for other types of birds. They are so gorgeous and it's such a treat. There really aren't very many bluebirds where I am from (out west).

Old 01-25-2022, 08:34 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I have several different species of woodpeckers in my yard that I like, and I love mockingbirds, cardinals, finches, and black vultures. Black vultures are not to everyone's taste, but they have a very elaborate flock order, and they're very smart and vocal as well. However, I have a real soft spot for the Carolina Wren. Such a small, cheeky bird with a lovely song! They're extremely fun to watch as well and they'll vigorously scold anyone who ventures into their territory

Old 01-25-2022, 09:43 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
The Pileated Woodpecker is easily my favorite bird. It's quite an eye-popping sight and I love hearing the AKK-AKK-AKK call on a summer's day!

Old 01-25-2022, 10:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
My favorites I commonly see in the backyard are Cardinals for their appearance and hummingbirds for their flying ability. I like the egrets and herons I frequently see at a local lake along with the rare appearances of a Wood Duck, what a beautiful bird!

And I've never seen one in the wild but I like Peregrine Falcons if for no other reason than their ability to dive at over 200mph.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:16 AM

7,097 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
My favorites I commonly see in the backyard are Cardinals for their appearance and hummingbirds for their flying ability. I like the egrets and herons I frequently see at a local lake along with the rare appearances of a Wood Duck, what a beautiful bird!

And I've never seen one in the wild but I like Peregrine Falcons if for no other reason than their ability to dive at over 200mph.
Yes, hummingbirds! I’m very partial to them also. Silly things.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:24 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I love all birds, & we used go go on guided walks with the Audubon group. I love seeing Grebes on the lake, with the baby grebes perched on their backs. That cuteness is hard to beat.
But I also love watching the sparrows & juncos eat seed on our deck, which is raised & no cats. WE also feed the hummers. All beautiful. Egrets & herons when we drive by the rice paddies.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:24 AM

269 posts, read 329,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
....When I lived in Southern Calufirnia....
Back many decades some green parrots escaped from a pet store in SoCal. I forget if there was a fire or what, but they got out. Now there are pretty large FLOCKS of green parrots that fly around the San Gabriel valley, and man, are they LOUD! Not sure what they eat, but they're obviously doing quite well! There are A LOT of them!

Old 01-25-2022, 10:29 AM

269 posts, read 329,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
...the Cactus Wren (so cute)...
We've got some kind of wren up here in North Idaho. They are so small! Hard to believe how such a species survives day after day, century after century. Birds are amazing!

On the other end of the scale, we've got bald eagles... and ospreys. BIG birds. I mean really big birds. Raptors. Wow.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:30 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
Back many decades some green parrots escaped from a pet store in SoCal. I forget if there was a fire or what, but they got out. Now there are pretty large FLOCKS of green parrots that fly around the San Gabriel valley, and man, are they LOUD! Not sure what they eat, but they're obviously doing quite well! There are A LOT of them!
Oh there is a flock of parrots in San Francisco also, I think they call them, the Telegraph Hill parrots, I never saw them, wish I had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature