Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 10:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The Pileated Woodpecker is easily my favorite bird. It's quite an eye-popping sight and I love hearing the AKK-AKK-AKK call on a summer's day!
Yeah! When I attended University in the Pacific Northwest I heard there was a pileated woodpecker who lived on the campus. One day I finally saw him and that was an amazing sight for this Southern Californian who grew up with 95% brown house finches LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 10:43 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Yes, hummingbirds! I’m very partial to them also. Silly things.

When they get into one of their little territorial squabbles it's like watching the avian version of Top Gun.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I have several different species of woodpeckers in my yard that I like, and I love mockingbirds, cardinals, finches, and black vultures. Black vultures are not to everyone's taste, but they have a very elaborate flock order, and they're very smart and vocal as well. However, I have a real soft spot for the Carolina Wren. Such a small, cheeky bird with a lovely song! They're extremely fun to watch as well and they'll vigorously scold anyone who ventures into their territory
Bungalove I have to get better at identifying birds. I need to look up the Carolina Wren and see if we've had any in this yard. So far since I moved here I've identified about 10-15 different species. Some of them I have a hard time distinguishing from similar birds. It's really fun to live in a completely different part of the country with completely different birds.

I might have seen black vultures when I lived in New Mexico. I know that in the mountains close to where I lived there were tons of turkey vultures. I loved to watch them glide.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
I should have mentioned I really enjoy watching pelicans. Walking on the beach in the AM I'll see groups of them 'surfing' the air being pushed up by an incoming wave, their wingtips very close but never touching the face of the wave. And when it's feeding time it's comical to see them cruising along at 40-50' above the water, then they spot a fish and seem to forget how to fly, they fold their wings and dive down like a rock.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Oh there is a flock of parrots in San Francisco also, I think they call them, the Telegraph Hill parrots, I never saw them, wish I had.
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. Loved it.

My favorite is the gray jay (aka Canada gray, whisky jack, camp robber). They're very entertaining.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:38 PM

I've seen 'em. Many moons ago (in 1996 before they made the film in 2003) I was working a contract job in North Beach a few blocks from Telegraph Hill. I heard about those little guys from some co-workers, so one lunch hour I hauled myself up that hill and all those stairs. It was all worth it.

Thanks for the reminder, it's a great documentary.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Golden Plover, wings down!
They are miraculous creations. Completely change from golden brown to black and white. Migrate from Hawaii to Alaska and back. They are not sea birds. They don't stop to rest.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:41 PM

Dang! I will look that up. I'll bet there's even a cool video about it.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
No need for an alarm clock for sure! Ha! I’ve had resident mockingbirds at a couple of different locations who sang, LOUDLY, all. night. long.
It is against the law to shoot the mocking birds,if they sing all night,find them a girlfriend.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:45 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I should have mentioned I really enjoy watching pelicans. Walking on the beach in the AM I'll see groups of them 'surfing' the air being pushed up by an incoming wave, their wingtips very close but never touching the face of the wave. And when it's feeding time it's comical to see them cruising along at 40-50' above the water, then they spot a fish and seem to forget how to fly, they fold their wings and dive down like a rock.
The beach town where I used to live in VA has a small population of brown pelicans, along with a much larger group of cormorants who perch on the pilings surrounding the waterfront restaurants. They're very popular with tourists and town dwellers alike. But the most popular town birds are the osprey, who return each year to their nests on top of platforms that have been built for them. You always know that it's truly spring when the osprey have come back. I love their high, shrieky calls, which seem odd for such large birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature