Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 12:58 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
the theramin. totally eerie.

had to google that. It is pretty creepy but I don't consider it an animal lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 04:53 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
I would say that Raven I posted about. This bird and his calling, is more eerie at night. You can't see him but you can hear him.

Old 05-06-2022, 08:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I think the cry of a cougar in the middle of the night is the spookiest sound. I've read that it was supposed to sound like a woman in distress, and when we heard that cry, coming from the woods at our own property in North Idaho some years ago, it absolutely sounded like a woman crying out in mortal anguish. Sent shivers down my spine. Next day our neighbor verified that it really was "an old tom," a male puma. It had been harassing her livestock.

This, because we had seen a big, muscular one in the 4WD headlights, casually crossing the logging road we were driving, right in front of us earlier that night, & we were in a tent.

A close second would be the coiled rattlesnake warning off my sweet but stupid little dog. The dog had his nose literally within an inch of that snake. I didn't know I could scream that loud, but g-d was with my dog & I that day.

Old 05-06-2022, 11:17 PM

178 posts, read 135,174 times
I’ll second the sound of a mountain lion. Cat fishing in some ponds along the Arkansas River in Colorado. About 3am we decide to pack it up. All we really have are our poles, tackle, and a lantern. The sudden movement from us must have startled the cougar watching us for who knows how long, it let out quite the howl. Exactly like a woman shrieking. It was close, within 10 yards from us. We were in some heavy brush and couldn’t tell where it was. All I had was a leatherman with a blade, figured it was better than nothing to defend myself. We had a nervous 1/4 mile hike through an open field back to the truck. Closest encounter with a mountain lion I’ve been in.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:45 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Here’s a good eerie video, any guesses on what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stISzPngwh4

Old 05-07-2022, 06:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
Wolves howling up here in MN is pretty eerie. If you’re out in the woods at night you can hear them pretty clearly.
I fell in love with wolves listening to the audio version of the book Lone Wolf. It's a great book, especially if you live near them.

Old 05-07-2022, 06:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Fisher cats can really make alarming noises.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:10 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
The loon. Beautiful but very eerie. When camping at night near water they serenade us to sleep.
I love that sound in the night.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:14 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
Wolves howling up here in MN is pretty eerie. If you’re out in the woods at night you can hear them pretty clearly.
I had never heard wolves howling until I started staying up in rural Ontario. The first time, I woke in the night wondering what I was hearing. The sound sent chills up my spine, and I realized I was hearing them running down some poor creature and then yipping in celebration when they made their kill.

The next time I heard them, I stepped outside on a winter night to look at the stars at about 10 p.m., and I became aware of their howling in the distance. It was mesmerizing. I stood out there for quite a while listening.

About an hour later, I decided to check out the stars on the other side of the house, where it's somewhat darker because the lake side gets some light bounce from the snow on the lake. As I stood out there, as always amazed by the star-studded sky away from light pollution, I became aware of another sound now permeating my conscious: Snowmobile engines. Wolves and Skidoos, a sign that I was truly on the edge of civilization!

Old 05-07-2022, 11:05 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Yellow-headed Blackbird’s call with the soft, low, intro followed by the harsh strangling noise.

They have weird voices anyway, partly a result of what the syrinx can do.

Listen to the third song on this page for the best example.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...ackbird/sounds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature