Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 04:29 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,155,695 times

Advertisements

Raccoons fighting-especially right outside the back door. Never liked those little buggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZceGsjkd1Lk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 04:56 PM

11,874 posts, read 8,970,714 times
I find these animal calls both haunting and beautiful....

Loons...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENNzjy8QjU

Wolves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQeb74iZjL0

Old 09-26-2022, 05:32 PM

9,173 posts, read 4,964,403 times
yes, loons are my pick, too. beautiful and eerie.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:41 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 9 days ago)

34,403 posts, read 16,502,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
yes, loons are my pick, too. beautiful and eerie.
I cannot disagree.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:37 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
On the flip side, I just saw a video of a human singer out in a little boat, playing the guitar and several whales came over and swam around the boat while she was singing. I don't know if that means whales like human singing or whales like guitar music

(sorry, I searched and didn't find it so that I could post the address so you all could see it, too)

Old 10-01-2022, 02:49 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 9 days ago)

34,403 posts, read 16,502,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
On the flip side, I just saw a video of a human singer out in a little boat, playing the guitar and several whales came over and swam around the boat while she was singing. I don't know if that means whales like human singing or whales like guitar music

(sorry, I searched and didn't find it so that I could post the address so you all could see it, too)
Any other fish besides whales come over and swim?

Old 10-01-2022, 04:23 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Any other fish besides whales come over and swim?

If they did, they weren't breaching and spouting and rolling around next to the boat. I suppose they could have been swimming around underneath the boat. The whales didn't look like they were feeding, so I don't think they were there after fish.

I know that seals will hide underneath boats when killer whales are after them, but that didn't look like what was going on in this video. The whales were just hanging out at the surface near the boat.

I've seen whales cruise by and check boats out, but not hang out with them. At any rate, it was fun to see. I think it is pretty obvious that whales are sound sensitive and they communicate with sound, so it isn't too far a stretch to think they were interested in the music.

Old 10-01-2022, 04:56 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,857,334 times
Other mammals tend to gather at nonlyrical music.
Soothing music is most attractive.
As for sounds one of the more concerning sounds I've encountered is a rattlesnake in and heavily bouldered area I was standing in. It was hard to hear exactly where it was coming from. I finally chose to skedaddle out from there.
We had a malamute that had very beautiful wolf song , but the first time you hear it your skin crawled.

Frequently at night, the coyotes would catch rabbits and coyotes sang regularly. If you are inside and hear it, it's not such a big thing, but being outside and hearing it a few yards away is cause for concern.
Interesting to note, a good rooster hunts for food, and when he finds something he calls to the hens to come get it.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:06 AM

6,619 posts, read 4,062,188 times
One night I was in bed watching Youtube and suddenly heard these blood-curdling screams from what sounded like a lady outside. I go to take a peek out the window just to check if there's anything I can see. What I saw was two foxes playing with each other (they were clearly friendly with each other). I did some research and it turns out that's just how foxes talk.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:41 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,420,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The place is probably some sort of big cat sanctuary crammed full of unwanted exotic pets abandoned by stupid people. Hopefully they had all of them neutered, put on contraceptives, or they're segregated so they don't produce more surplus lions. The drive through safari is an attempt to raise enough money to keep the poor things fed until they die of old age.

They could just turn them loose. Cats that large wouldn't be any danger to songbirds. Feral house cats is where the problem is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature