Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 11:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times

Advertisements

Here on Puget Sound, we've been bemoaning the loss of Orcas due to reduced populations of salmon. Who knew that these lovable marine mammals would be capable of taking on larger prey?

https://news.yahoo.com/rare-footage-...012753043.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 12:02 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Well....they're called "killer whales" for a reason...

Old 07-28-2022, 12:34 PM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Orcas eat sea lions, walrus, and elephant seals. Nothing is too big for a hungry Orca. They kill white sharks by holding them motionless, upside-down under water until they pass out and then suffocate.

There is almost always something bigger out there. Orcas are just amazingly intelligent.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:37 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
There’s two distinct groups of orcas In the Puget Sound region. Residents and Transients. Residents eat only salmon and transients eat a wider variety of things… seals sea lions sharks porpoises. Maybe salmon and other fish I don’t know,

I’m not sure there are any actual differences between them or if the differences are entirely habitual and cultural within the group.

Only the residents are threatened. The transients are actually doing quite well. To me it’s a pretty good example of Darwinism in action. One group seems to be a lot more adaptable than the other and one of them will thrive when the other doesn’t.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,553,902 times
I had no idea about these things. I do recall a coworker who was former Navy, when learning I'd taken up kayaking, tell me about their marine training manual for scuba divers describing protocols when dealing with marine life while in or on the water. He explained that for each type of marine animal there would be a paragraph to a page instructing behavior. Then he asked me what I thought it might say about orcas, I just shrugged and prompted him. He paused theatrically and said: "Get out of the water."

I laughed, thinking he was joking. Maybe he wasn't ...

Old 07-28-2022, 02:02 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Dolphins (orcas are big dolphins dressed in tuxedos) are opportunistic and smart. If something alters the food web enough that one traditional prey item becomes scarce, they'll find another. If some subset of the orca population doesn't make that behavioral/cultural/biological change soon enough, they don't survive. A subset that does will replace them.

If you think about it, when the food regime shifts, available caloric biomass just changes its form. It might have presented itself as a school of smaller fish or juvenile marine mammals before, now more of that same biomass exists in the form of a shark. Nothing acts in isolation. If, for example, commercial krill, forage fish harvest, or changing ocean chemistry reduces that orca population's fish prey and because of international protection sharks become more numerous, why not take advantage of that? Filing their stomachs with multiple smaller fish might present a lower risk of injury but chasing them down probably burns more energy. Once the orca figures out how to avoid being injured by a bigger shark, eating fewer of those larger animals may be a caloric advantage over time.

It also takes the "new" prey time to realize they're being targeted by a new predator. The orca has an advantage until that prey figures out how to defend itself against the new threat.

I worked for Glacier Bay NP&P for 16 years. The bay is visited by orca pods regularly. Harbor seals also breed there. They usually pup close to tidewater glaciers partially because the calved ice floes provide protective haulouts and because the silty water makes it difficult for orcas (who hunt by sight, not sonar) to hunt there. Recently, we began finding harbor seal skins turned inside out in pupping areas. A sign of orca predation. Two interconnected reasons that may be happening. Most of the park's glaciers are in rapid retreat which means less silt ends up flowing into the Bay. As the water slowly gets clearer, it makes it easier for orcas to detect and track seals, so they're learning how to do it closer to glaciers: in pupping areas. Sea otters have re-colonized the Bay, but there hasn't been a huge noticeable increase in orca predation on sea otters. Why? A sea otter is just a mouthful for an orca and they don't have the high caloric blubber layer of a seal. Seals make the better meal.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-28-2022 at 03:22 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 02:39 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I had no idea about these things. I do recall a coworker who was former Navy, when learning I'd taken up kayaking, tell me about their marine training manual for scuba divers describing protocols when dealing with marine life while in or on the water. He explained that for each type of marine animal there would be a paragraph to a page instructing behavior. Then he asked me what I thought it might say about orcas, I just shrugged and prompted him. He paused theatrically and said: "Get out of the water."

I laughed, thinking he was joking. Maybe he wasn't ...
You wouldn't want to be mistaken for a snack by one who hadn't been able to consume his quota of salmon for the day or week.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-28-2022 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 03:03 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well....they're called "killer whales" for a reason...

Given how many of Ma Nature's other kids kill their own meals it seems Orcas are kinda given a bad rap as 'killers'.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:26 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Given how many of Ma Nature's other kids kill their own meals it seems Orcas are kinda given a bad rap as 'killers'.
Several versions of the reason they got that moniker.

European whalers noted that orcas preyed on large baleen whales...whales they were also targeting. One version says that Basque fisherman referred to orcas as "whale killers" not "killer whales". It was an error in translation.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:33 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Several versions of the reason they got that moniker.

European whalers noted that orcas preyed on large baleen whales...whales they were also targeting. One version says that Basque fisherman referred to orcas as "whale killers" not "killer whales". It was an error in translation.

Interesting, thanks for this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature