Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 05:13 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sure, if you have a convenient anthill!
If the OP were in TX that would not be a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 07:23 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,652,448 times
Sounds like you found a method you are going to go with. However, dermestid beetles would have probably been the best choice. Many taxidermist would have those.

Old 08-20-2022, 07:41 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Any type of carrion beetle would probably do the trick. You probably have beetles around that will be attracted to it. (Museums usually use dermestid beetles to remove flesh from bones that they want to save.) I think that burying it was a mistake--especially that deep. I'd probably just put it on the ground and let nature do its thing. Flies will also be attracted, and their maggots are natural decomposers, too. If you change your mind and go that route, make sure to secure it in some type of enclosure so that raccoons and other animals can't get at it--or drag the enclosure away. It will need to have large enough spaces so that the beetles and flies can get to it, but small enough so that the larger animals can't get in. I'd probably build an open wood frame and attach hardware cloth to it--or something with larger holes--and then secure that to the ground with stakes. Heck, maybe just an upside-down milk crate, weighted down and surrounded by fencing would work.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:11 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Any type of carrion beetle would probably do the trick. You probably have beetles around that will be attracted to it. (Museums usually use dermestid beetles to remove flesh from bones that they want to save.) I think that burying it was a mistake--especially that deep. I'd probably just put it on the ground and let nature do its thing. Flies will also be attracted, and their maggots are natural decomposers, too. If you change your mind and go that route, make sure to secure it in some type of enclosure so that raccoons and other animals can't get at it--or drag the enclosure away. It will need to have large enough spaces so that the beetles and flies can get to it, but small enough so that the larger animals can't get in. I'd probably build an open wood frame and attach hardware cloth to it--or something with larger holes--and then secure that to the ground with stakes. Heck, maybe just an upside-down milk crate, weighted down and surrounded by fencing would work.
That would work, but I suspect many people wouldn't want to watch their deceased pet rot...

Old 08-21-2022, 04:36 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
That would work, but I suspect many people wouldn't want to watch their deceased pet rot...
But….a turtle? Not like a dog or a cat. And he wants to conserve its shell. So I feel this is a little different from “watching your pet rot.â€

Old 08-21-2022, 04:47 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
Quote:
True, but there's not much to see. It would also depend on the size of one's yard. It would probably be relatively easy to conceal it or put it out of sight. It might be more difficult to put it where the smell isn't noticeable...although the aroma should (hopefully) subside relatively quickly if the beetles and flies do their job.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:54 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,301,363 times
Out of sight out of mind. See you in a year!

How do I get the shell from a dead turtle?-turtle.jpg

Old 08-21-2022, 09:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,170,524 times
I'm an entomologist and when I was a student making my first collection, the saddest collecting I did was picking carrion-burying beetles off a box tortoise that had flipped over on its back and was barely breathing. The beetles weren't even waiting for it to die completely before starting to feast on it. I turned it over, but I think by then it was too far gone to survive.

Museums use dermestid (carpet) beetles to clean bones. There's a taxidermy place east of Bend Oregon that I drove past once that had a sign outside advertising "Beetle-Cleaned Skulls," so they were probably using them, too.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:31 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
You can use a boiling water with enzyme detergent method, lye maceration method or maggot/dermestid insect method.

https://sciencing.com/preserve-skeleton-7792521.html
https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/302229/
How to clean animal bones - the complete guide : Jake's Bones

Old 08-22-2022, 08:16 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Take a narrow and very sharp knife. Cut around the neck, each leg and the tail. Pull each out as far as you can. When you have all of that out, take a pressure washer and blast out what is left. We have some really big snapping turtles in Maine. Turtles do have spines. Several species of turtles such as the painted turtle or box turtle are protected. You might have a lot of explaining to do if you have one.
Painted and Box turtles are among the most popular pet species. And in any case I don't think that possession of a turtle shell is going to lead to a lot of interest by anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature