Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 02:19 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Can anyone tell me the name of an organization that's fighting to save birds from being killed by wind turbines (and solar farms)? The federal government has plans to put these things up and down the entire Atlantic coast and I just saw a news segment that they are putting a really big group of wind turbines in Idaho to power California. The fishing industry is fighting the ones along the Atlantic coastline and I believe the farmers/ranchers are fighting the ones in Idaho but who among the bird/wildlife advocacy organizations is speaking up for the coming bird slaughter? It's suprisingly not Audubon.

I would have put this as an issue in the Politics & Other Controversies forum but they aren't going to know the name of a bird advocacy organization fighting the government on the issue of wind turbine bird slaughter but one of you might and that's my primary need. If CD locks this thread would you please DM me. Thanks.
You bring up a good question, but a couple points--

The tables presented by a couple people here are patently absurd--Does anybody really think 1 of every 3 birds is killed by a cat? There are billions & billions (no- I'm not Carl Sagen) of birds in the US and 100M households. Every household would have to own 100 cats to accomplish that.

- Bird population studies are notoriously inaccurate-- often based on illogical extrapolation of body counts at the base of big city skyscrapers or estmates based on "citizen science" (ie- poorly controlled & monitored) efforts.

-Falling bird populations are due to habitat destruction causing loss of breeding & feeding opportunities, not increased risk of deaths. While wind turbines and industial sized solar installation can kill some birds, they are more importantly causing even more damage to many wild popualtions besides birds by taking so many acres out of natural use.

-Don't forget that most birds only live a year or two anyways. It's a jungle out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 02:41 AM

61,710 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the name of an organization that's fighting to save birds from being killed by wind turbines (and solar farms)? The federal government has plans to put these things up and down the entire Atlantic coast and I just saw a news segment that they are putting a really big group of wind turbines in Idaho to power California. The fishing industry is fighting the ones along the Atlantic coastline and I believe the farmers/ranchers are fighting the ones in Idaho but who among the bird/wildlife advocacy organizations is speaking up for the coming bird slaughter? It's suprisingly not Audubon.

I would have put this as an issue in the Politics & Other Controversies forum but they aren't going to know the name of a bird advocacy organization fighting the government on the issue of wind turbine bird slaughter but one of you might and that's my primary need. If CD locks this thread would you please DM me. Thanks.
The American Bird Conservancy?
Or
American Bird Conservancy’s Bird-Smart Wind Energy Campaign.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:10 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Maybe it is different nowadays but seems I remember a requirement that some sort of structure be set up to keep birds from flying into those blades. I apologize for being so vague. It was long ago when the turbines were first becoming popular. Maybe someone else will know.

And, by the way, have you protected the birds who fly into your patio or window glass? A few decals to warn bird that it is not an open space. I am smiling but it was not really funny. Just stopped my cat dead in her tracks. A family of cardinals were feeding on my patio. Cat was peacefully sleeping indoors at same patio. She awakened, saw those birds, made a dive and --- 0uch --- bet she had a headache. The birds were gone.

So many ways we need to protect our birds. And, yes, the Audubon Society is one. Also your state conservation society if your state has one. I think most do.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:51 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You bring up a good question, but a couple points--

The tables presented by a couple people here are patently absurd--Does anybody really think 1 of every 3 birds is killed by a cat? There are billions & billions (no- I'm not Carl Sagen) of birds in the US and 100M households. Every household would have to own 100 cats to accomplish that. .

The numbers are sound, cats are prolific killing machines. There are 53 million domestic cats and 80 million feral cats in the US. When they are outside, most cats are trying to kill. The domestic cat I lived with (against my wishes) this year killed a bird or reptile every day or almost every day.

Even if every feral cat only killed 29 birds per year, that would be 33% of the estimated 7 billion birds in the US. Clearly some kill more and some kill less, and then there's the domestic population that are left outside to kill.

Old 01-07-2023, 11:10 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Ducks Unlimited. https://www.ducks.org/

Old 01-07-2023, 12:02 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
I often wonder how counters of things manage to come up with their numbers. I once read an answer to that. They count whatever they want a number for in a small area and then multiply by a number that they will find if they counted all areas.

Hummm? Guess they'll have to subtract some as not all cats go outside. I had one that hated going out. I'd even pick her up and carry her out. I no sooner got sat down with her than she was off my lap and at the door begging to go back inside.

All that said, there is a food chain on the planet. We are part of it. "Nuf said?

Old 01-07-2023, 12:09 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me the name of an organization that's fighting to save birds from being killed by wind turbines (and solar farms)? The federal government has plans to put these things up and down the entire Atlantic coast and I just saw a news segment that they are putting a really big group of wind turbines in Idaho to power California. The fishing industry is fighting the ones along the Atlantic coastline and I believe the farmers/ranchers are fighting the ones in Idaho but who among the bird/wildlife advocacy organizations is speaking up for the coming bird slaughter? It's surprisingly(sp) not Audubon.

Bird slaughter?

BIRD SLAUGHTER?

You make it sound as if we're going to be knee deep in carcasses. Altho, coyotes gotta eat, too...

Bird strikes are a rare occurrence.

Now, if you want to focus your energies on something useful, then I'd say take a look at the worldwide bee populations.

Old 01-07-2023, 12:52 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:

This is a tough one. The environmental activists were first against paper bags, then plastic bags. What are we supposed to do, not carry anything?

As far as your question,today decarbonzation is the order of the day, until large-scale bird-deaths make headlines, or other peril to wildlife becomes obvious. Also do they want an unspoiled Yellowstone, or wind farms?

Old 01-07-2023, 01:09 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post

Hummm? Guess they'll have to subtract some as not all cats go outside. ?
As I showed, it's quite probable that feral cats alone probably meet or even exceed the estimated portion of birds killed, without even taking domestic cats into consideration.

That was using 7 billion as the estimated total number of birds in the USA. It doesn't really matter if you triple or quadruple that number, because those 80 million feral cats almost certainly kill more than 1 bird every 12 days, which is a rough approximation of the number (30/year) that I used. Add in some of the 53 million domestic cats and its clear that no matter the exact numbers, cats take a very heavy toll on wild birds.

Last edited by Deserterer; 01-07-2023 at 01:34 PM..

Old 01-07-2023, 01:30 PM

61,710 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
As I showed, it's quite probable that feral cats alone probably meet or even exceed the estimated portion of birds killed, without even taking domestic cats into consideration.
Yes, while cats have contributed to the extinction of 63 species of birds, mammals, and reptiles in the wild and continue to adversely impact a wide variety of other species, including those at risk of extinction, such as Piping Plover, they probably can't reach to Golden Eagles and other big birds.

They kill smaller birds that walk around.

USGS scientists concluded in a recent study that if anticipated growth in wind energy by 2040 occurs, increased turbine-caused deaths could cut golden eagle populations by almost half over 10 years.

https://abcbirds.org/program/cats-in...ats-and-birds/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature